unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?
@ 2022-07-03 22:10 Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2022-07-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi.  To begin, thank you for your work on GNU!

I use Guix package manager (manually installed) atop Debian bullseye.
My Emacs is from Guix package emacs-next with a package transformation
option to pull from current Git master.  When I tried to use the new
emoji commands on the "C-x 8e" prefix, I was getting an error message
(sorry for not having written it down) mentioning transient.  I solved
it by modifying Guix recipes to not pull emacs-transient as propagated
input of some Emacs packages I installed via Guix.

So, why do many Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient, when Guix has
Emacs version 28.1, which has Transient built-in?  This redundancy
wastes (a little bit of) bandwidth, install time and disk space, and,
worse, causes errors.

Regards

--
- Many people hate injustice but few check the facts; this causes more
  injustice.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>