unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?
@ 2022-07-03 22:10 Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2022-07-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi.  To begin, thank you for your work on GNU!

I use Guix package manager (manually installed) atop Debian bullseye.
My Emacs is from Guix package emacs-next with a package transformation
option to pull from current Git master.  When I tried to use the new
emoji commands on the "C-x 8e" prefix, I was getting an error message
(sorry for not having written it down) mentioning transient.  I solved
it by modifying Guix recipes to not pull emacs-transient as propagated
input of some Emacs packages I installed via Guix.

So, why do many Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient, when Guix has
Emacs version 28.1, which has Transient built-in?  This redundancy
wastes (a little bit of) bandwidth, install time and disk space, and,
worse, causes errors.

Regards

--
- Many people hate injustice but few check the facts; this causes more
  injustice.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>

* Re: Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?
@ 2022-07-04 12:41 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-07-04 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto, guix-devel

Hi,

On Sun, 03 Jul 2022 at 19:10, "Jorge P. de Morais Neto" <jorge+list@disr.it> wrote:

> So, why do many Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient, when Guix has
> Emacs version 28.1, which has Transient built-in?  This redundancy
> wastes (a little bit of) bandwidth, install time and disk space, and,
> worse, causes errors.

Well, “many Emacs packages” is not just 16 ones. ;-)

$ ag --scheme emacs-transient -c
emacs-xyz.scm:19

(3 matches are from the definition of emacs-transient.)

I guess these Emacs packages are still using the package emacs-transient
because they have not been updated yet, or maybe it is still a
requirement from upstream.

Which are the Emacs packages you are using without an explicit mention
to emacs-transient?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?
@ 2022-07-06 12:47   ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2022-07-06 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!  I apologize for the delay and reply below:

Em [2022-07-04 seg 14:41:06+0200], zimoun escreveu:

> Which are the Emacs packages you are using without an explicit mention
> to emacs-transient?

I have modified the recipes (removing the dependency on emacs-transient)
of the following four packages:

emacs-git-timemachine
emacs-ytdl
emacs-geiser
emacs-magit

- For emacs-ytdl, I also added a dependency on emacs-dash
- For emacs-geiser, I also removed the dependency on emacs-project.

Regards
--
- Many people hate injustice but few check the facts; this causes more
  injustice.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Free Software Supporter: https://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter
- If an email of mine arrives at your spam box, please notify me.

* Re: Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?
@ 2022-07-06 13:35 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-07-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Jorge,

"Jorge P. de Morais Neto" <jorge+list@disr.it> writes:

> Hi.  To begin, thank you for your work on GNU!
>
> I use Guix package manager (manually installed) atop Debian bullseye.
> My Emacs is from Guix package emacs-next with a package transformation
> option to pull from current Git master.  When I tried to use the new
> emoji commands on the "C-x 8e" prefix, I was getting an error message
> (sorry for not having written it down) mentioning transient.  I solved
> it by modifying Guix recipes to not pull emacs-transient as propagated
> input of some Emacs packages I installed via Guix.
>
> So, why do many Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient, when Guix has
> Emacs version 28.1, which has Transient built-in?  This redundancy
> wastes (a little bit of) bandwidth, install time and disk space, and,
> worse, causes errors.

I guess it's simply an oversight.  Could you try to removing it from the
affected packages and see if they still byte compile and run happily?
If they do, a patch would be welcome.

Thanks!

Maxim

* Re: Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?
@ 2022-07-08 12:56   ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2022-07-08 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Maxim!

Em [2022-07-06 qua 09:35:28-0400], Maxim Cournoyer escreveu:

> I guess it's simply an oversight.  Could you try to removing it from the
> affected packages and see if they still byte compile and run happily?
> If they do, a patch would be welcome.

I have just sent the patch to guix-patches@gnu.org.  Thank you for
encouraging me.

Cheers