unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-01-20 23:18 Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-01-20 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix, I tried install in my desktop (amd64) and server is very busy.

Message: server is unresponsive

Thanks.

--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-01-21 15:04 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-21 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pimentel; +Cc: guix-devel

This message suggests that hydra.gnu.org, the server that provides
pre-compiled binaries, is somewhat slow.

This is unfortunately too frequent and we hope to switch to a more
powerful front-end server.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-01-21 15:08   ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-01-21 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-01-21 12:04, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> This message suggests that hydra.gnu.org, the server that provides
> pre-compiled binaries, is somewhat slow.
>
> This is unfortunately too frequent and we hope to switch to a more
> powerful front-end server.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
Allright, I used the options "--no-distributes" and work.

Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-01-27 21:54   ` Sree Harsha Totakura
From: Sree Harsha Totakura @ 2015-01-27 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 01/21/2015 04:04 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> This message suggests that hydra.gnu.org, the server that provides
> pre-compiled binaries, is somewhat slow.
>
> This is unfortunately too frequent and we hope to switch to a more
> powerful front-end server.

I believe switching to hydra.gnunet.org may be helpful.  Have you
considered it?

Sree

* Re: Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-01-27 22:11     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-27 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sree Harsha Totakura; +Cc: guix-devel

Sree Harsha Totakura <sreeharsha@totakura.in> skribis:

> On 01/21/2015 04:04 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> This message suggests that hydra.gnu.org, the server that provides
>> pre-compiled binaries, is somewhat slow.
>>
>> This is unfortunately too frequent and we hope to switch to a more
>> powerful front-end server.
>>
> I believe switching to hydra.gnunet.org may be helpful.  Have you
> considered it?

I think we have just the right size in terms of x86 build machines.  The
front-end itself shouldn’t also be a build machine, because it already
has enough to do (evaluations + HTTP requests, which includes providing
compressed archives on demand.)

So I would like to keep hydra.gnunet.org as a build machine and to
switch to a dedicated box for the front-end.

The FSF might be able to help with that, otherwise we’ll go ahead and
get ourselves another machine, I think.  But I think it’s time to fix
that issue now.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-01-30  9:20       ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2015-01-30  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

I kindof presumed it was the bandwidth to hydra which was the problem.  Not the
machine itself.

Are you sure which problem needs to be solved before we spend $$$ on it?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:11:36PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

     I think we have just the right size in terms of x86 build machines.  The
     front-end itself shouldn’t also be a build machine, because it already
     has enough to do (evaluations + HTTP requests, which includes providing
     compressed archives on demand.)

     So I would like to keep hydra.gnunet.org as a build machine and to
     switch to a dedicated box for the front-end.

     The FSF might be able to help with that, otherwise we’ll go ahead and
     get ourselves another machine, I think.  But I think it’s time to fix
     that issue now.

     Thanks,
     Ludo’.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-01-30 15:04         ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-01-30 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, John Darrington wrote:

> I kindof presumed it was the bandwidth to hydra which was the problem.  Not the
> machine itself.
>
> Are you sure which problem needs to be solved before we spend $$$ on it?

Most of the time I was seeing that hydra is unresponsive and guix will
fetch the source instead a substitute, but ATM I am getting a message:

guix substitute-binary: warning: while fetching
http://hydra.gnu.org/nar/nax41ygqk14w23nbyzfh4i23vxl3qf01-python-3.3.5:
server is somewhat slow

but it is still fetching the substitute from there. The hydra admin should
find what is the cause.

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:11:36PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>     I think we have just the right size in terms of x86 build machines.  The
>     front-end itself shouldn’t also be a build machine, because it already
>     has enough to do (evaluations + HTTP requests, which includes providing
>     compressed archives on demand.)
>
>     So I would like to keep hydra.gnunet.org as a build machine and to
>     switch to a dedicated box for the front-end.
>
>     The FSF might be able to help with that, otherwise we’ll go ahead and
>     get ourselves another machine, I think.  But I think it’s time to fix
>     that issue now.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Ludo’.

* Re: Server unrresponsive
@ 2015-02-01 19:08           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-01 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> Most of the time I was seeing that hydra is unresponsive and guix will
> fetch the source instead a substitute, but ATM I am getting a message:
>
> guix substitute-binary: warning: while fetching
> http://hydra.gnu.org/nar/nax41ygqk14w23nbyzfh4i23vxl3qf01-python-3.3.5:
> server is somewhat slow

Actually the “unresponsive” message was misleading, which is why I
changed it to “somewhat slow” (after a native speaker pointed out the
bad choice of words.  ;-))

Ludo’.