unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  1:51 tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2017-01-13  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix

How to install flashplayer or gnash on guixsd?

* Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  6:58 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2017-01-13  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: guix

tumashu <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> How to install flashplayer or gnash on guixsd?

It looks like GNU Gnash is not available yet.  It's waiting for you to
package it!  :-)

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages

When you say "flashplayer", are you referring to Adobe Flash Player [1]?
If so, it will probably not be packaged in Guix, since the license under
which it is distributed appears to be a non-free license [2].  (For
example, that license says things like "You may install and Use one copy
of the Software on your Compatible Computer," and "This license does not
grant you the right to sublicense or distribute the Software".)

[1] https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

[2]
https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/legal/licenses-terms/pdf/PlatformClients_PC_WWEULA-en_US-20150407_1357.pdf

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re:Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  7:06   ` tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2017-01-13  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix

At 2017-01-13 14:58:45, "Chris Marusich" <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote: >tumashu <tumashu@163.com> writes: > >> How to install flashplayer or gnash on guixsd? > >It looks like GNU Gnash is not available yet. It's waiting for you to >package it! :-) > >https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages > >When you say "flashplayer", are you referring to Adobe Flash Player [1]? >If so, it will probably not be packaged in Guix, since the license under >which it is distributed appears to be a non-free license [2]. (For >example, that license says things like "You may install and Use one copy >of the Software on your Compatible Computer," and "This license does not >grant you the right to sublicense or distribute the Software".) >

If we can package Adobe Flash Player,  can we package a  installer-helper, like: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree

 >[1] https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ > >[2] >https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/legal/licenses-terms/pdf/PlatformClients_PC_WWEULA-en_US-20150407_1357.pdf > >-- >Chris

* Re: Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  8:31     ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2017-01-13  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: guix

But as Chris said, unfortunately we cannot. :(

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  8:33     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2017-01-13  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: guix

tumashu  <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> can we package a installer-helper, like:
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree

Guix (and GuixSD) adheres to the Free System Distribution Guidelines
[1], which states:

"A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any
nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so. The
system should have no repositories for nonfree software and no specific
recipes for installation of particular nonfree programs."

As I understand it, the purpose of that installer-helper is solely to
aid in the installation of Adobe Flash Player, which is not free
software.  It has no other use.  Therefore, we will not package it.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

On the other hand, GNU Gnash IS free software, so I'm sure a patch to
add it would be welcome!

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re:Re: Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  8:38       ` tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2017-01-13  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix

At 2017-01-13 16:31:46, "John Darrington" <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> wrote: >On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 03:06:41PM +0800, tumashu wrote: > > If we can package Adobe Flash Player, can we package a installer-helper, like: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree > >But as Chris said, unfortunately we cannot. :(

but .....

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree  is just a command writen with shell script,  user can use this command to download Adobe Flash Player and install it,  it seem to be a free script :-)

* Re:Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  8:39       ` tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2017-01-13  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix

Ok, thanks for the information!

At 2017-01-13 16:33:35, "Chris Marusich" <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:
>tumashu  <tumashu@163.com> writes:
>
>> can we package a installer-helper, like:
>> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree
>
>Guix (and GuixSD) adheres to the Free System Distribution Guidelines
>[1], which states:
>
>"A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any
>nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so. The
>system should have no repositories for nonfree software and no specific
>recipes for installation of particular nonfree programs."
>
>As I understand it, the purpose of that installer-helper is solely to
>aid in the installation of Adobe Flash Player, which is not free
>software.  It has no other use.  Therefore, we will not package it.
>
>[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
>
>On the other hand, GNU Gnash IS free software, so I'm sure a patch to
>add it would be welcome!
>
>--
>Chris

* Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  9:45         ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-01-13  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: guix-devel

From: tumashu  <tumashu@163.com>
Subject: Re:Re: About flashplayer
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:39:34 +0800 (CST)

> Ok, thanks for the information!

Just for your information: even if flash or the installer-helper
can't be included in Guix itself because of the free software
distribution guidelines, if someone writes a package description for
the installer-helper (or flash itself), anyone who's interested can
put that package description in their GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH.  GNU Guix
itself will just not include/recommend/link to such non-free 3rd
party packages.

Thomas

* Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13  9:53         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-01-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: guix

tumashu <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> At 2017-01-13 16:31:46, "John Darrington" <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> wrote: >On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 03:06:41PM +0800, tumashu wrote: > > If we can package Adobe Flash Player, can we package a installer-helper, like: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree > >But as Chris said, unfortunately we cannot. :(
>
> but .....
>
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree  is just a command writen with shell script,  user can use this command to download Adobe Flash Player and install it,  it seem to be a free script :-)

The FSDG (as previously quoted by Chris) state:

   "A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining
    any nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do
    so. The system should have no repositories for nonfree software and
    no specific recipes for installation of particular nonfree
    programs."

Providing a tool with the sole purpose of installing proprietory
software would certainly fall under “steer users towards obtaining […]
nonfree” software.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
http://elephly.net

* Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-13 11:39 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-01-13 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 13.01.2017 um 02:51 schrieb tumashu:
> How to install flashplayer or gnash on guixsd?

Flash is a dead-end technology. I suggest not bothering with it any longer.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: About flashplayer
@ 2017-01-17 11:51         ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2017-01-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: guix

tumashu  <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> Ok, thanks for the information!

If you just want to watch a video, there are plenty of free software out
there for downloading videos like youtube-dl
<https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl> and you-get
<https://github.com/soimort/you-get>.

In particular, you-get supports a lot of Chinese video-sharing sites
like bilibili and acfun.

If you want, I can send a patch to add you-get to guix.

> At 2017-01-13 16:33:35, "Chris Marusich" <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>tumashu  <tumashu@163.com> writes:
>>
>>> can we package a installer-helper, like:
>>> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree
>>
>>Guix (and GuixSD) adheres to the Free System Distribution Guidelines
>>[1], which states:
>>
>>"A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any
>>nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so. The
>>system should have no repositories for nonfree software and no specific
>>recipes for installation of particular nonfree programs."
>>
>>As I understand it, the purpose of that installer-helper is solely to
>>aid in the installation of Adobe Flash Player, which is not free
>>software.  It has no other use.  Therefore, we will not package it.
>>
>>[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
>>
>>On the other hand, GNU Gnash IS free software, so I'm sure a patch to
>>add it would be welcome!
>>
>>--
>>Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]