unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Benno Schulenberg <coordinator@translationproject.org>
To: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Cc: Benno Schulenberg <coordinator@translationproject.org>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org, web-translators@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Coordinating package meta-data translation
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 22:14:42 +0200	[thread overview]

Saluton Ludo',

On 2014-06-09 00:07, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Saluton, Benno,
>
> Benno Schulenberg <coordinator@translationproject.org> skribis:
>> As will be clear from the above, I would not want to synchronize but
>> draw a strict dividing line: decide who should translate what, and
>> use those translations everywhere where the strings occur.
>
> Okay, that makes sense.
>
> Honestly, I’m not thrilled by the idea of having to deal with two
> translation sources.

It's only slightly harder than dealing with a single source.  You
automate things.  Have a look at the bootstrap script in for example
grep.  All you do is send out a POT file (and in this case two, to
two different addresses), and at the time of rolling a release
tarball, the script takes care of fetching and merging any available
translations.

> Besides, would you suggest using different text domains for package
> meta-data and for strings of the Guix tools?

Precisely.  The ideal would be to have two POT files for Guix, one
with the interface strings, guix.pot, and one with all the package
descriptions, say guix-blurbs.pot.  I would propose to send the first
to the TP, and the second to GNU web translators, as those
strings appear also on the web, and Ineiev says that those texts
must be at least reviewed by the web translators.

Regards,

Benno