unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Bring KDE into Guix easily
@ 2021-01-31 16:15 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2021-01-31 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello everybody,

are you interested in getting KDE into Guix?

I prepared a repo providing everything to make this easy:

  *

    Guix package descriptions for another about 100 KDE packages

  *

    scripts to ease adding the package definition to the respective
    gnu/packages/*.scm file, including commit and commit-message

  *

    Lists about KDE applications per group (education, pim, office,
    etc.) to work on.

Just check out
https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix-kde-package/-/blob/master/README.md
for how easy it is.

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Requirements: xclip

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Bring KDE into Guix easily
@ 2021-01-31 16:50 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-01-31 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel, guix-devel

On Sun, 2021-01-31 at 17:15 +0100, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> are you interested in getting KDE into Guix?

Not much of a KDE user myself (except kcachegrind, a drawing
application I forgot the name of and manuskript), but more packages
are nice!
> I prepared a repo providing everything to make this easy:
>
> Guix package descriptions for another about 100 KDE packages
>
> scripts to ease adding the package definition to the respective gnu/packages/*.scm file, including commit and commit-message
>
> Lists about KDE applications per group (education, pim, office, etc.) to work on.
>
> Just check out https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix-kde-package/-/blob/master/README.md for how easy it is.
>
> If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Some things to improve:
* Some scripts have missing copyright and license headers
   (00-add.sh, 00-test-gui-app.sh).

* I don't see any license information on pkgs/*.scm.
  It's sort of implied these are GPLv3, as Guix itself
  is GPLv3+, but it isn't clear if you would allow GPLv3+
  as well.

* IANAL, but taking synopsises and descriptions
  from external sources (Debian, Mageia) seems
  without mentioning the copyright holder, license
  and author seems suspect for me. Maybe it's legally
  ok here, but best include attribution somewhere,
  and write your reasoning for why inclusion is ok
  somewhere.

My proposal on how to go forward is:
* Please address previous three issues.
* if someone wants a particular KDE package in Guix,
  they can submit an appropriate patch to Guix using
  the repository, after testing whether it works.
* many KDE packages are not up to date  (guix refresh --type=kde).
  These probably need to be updated. I don't know what
  the recommended way for such a change is.
  (How to verify whether no new issues are introduced,
  etc.)

Maxime

* Re: Bring KDE into Guix easily
@ 2021-02-01 11:22   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2021-02-01 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 31.01.21 um 17:50 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Some things to improve:
> * Some scripts have missing copyright and license headers
>     (00-add.sh, 00-test-gui-app.sh).

These scripts are not meant to be included into guix.

> * I don't see any license information on pkgs/*.scm.
>    It's sort of implied these are GPLv3, as Guix itself
>    is GPLv3+, but it isn't clear if you would allow GPLv3+
>    as well.

Will add a License file - but not a license header to each of these
files, as this would contradict the basic idea of this repo.

> * IANAL, but taking synopsises and descriptions
>    from external sources (Debian, Mageia) seems
>    without mentioning the copyright holder, license
>    and author seems suspect for me. Maybe it's legally
>    ok here, but best include attribution somewhere,
>    and write your reasoning for why inclusion is ok
>    somewhere.

No need to put efforts in here IMHO. The person creating a patch might
choose to write a completely different text.

> My proposal on how to go forward is:
> * Please address previous three issues.
See above.
> * if someone wants a particular KDE package in Guix,
>    they can submit an appropriate patch to Guix using
>    the repository, after testing whether it works.

This almost is the idea behind this repos - the exact idea is that
someone will batch-work an these files.

> * many KDE packages are not up to date  (guix refresh --type=kde).

Refreshing is part of the half-automated process done by the scripts.