unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>
To: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Bring KDE into Guix easily
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 12:22:34 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 31.01.21 um 17:50 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Some things to improve:
> * Some scripts have missing copyright and license headers
>     (00-add.sh, 00-test-gui-app.sh).

These scripts are not meant to be included into guix.

> * I don't see any license information on pkgs/*.scm.
>    It's sort of implied these are GPLv3, as Guix itself
>    is GPLv3+, but it isn't clear if you would allow GPLv3+
>    as well.

Will add a License file - but not a license header to each of these
files, as this would contradict the basic idea of this repo.

> * IANAL, but taking synopsises and descriptions
>    from external sources (Debian, Mageia) seems
>    without mentioning the copyright holder, license
>    and author seems suspect for me. Maybe it's legally
>    ok here, but best include attribution somewhere,
>    and write your reasoning for why inclusion is ok
>    somewhere.

No need to put efforts in here IMHO. The person creating a patch might
choose to write a completely different text.

> My proposal on how to go forward is:
> * Please address previous three issues.
See above.
> * if someone wants a particular KDE package in Guix,
>    they can submit an appropriate patch to Guix using
>    the repository, after testing whether it works.

This almost is the idea behind this repos - the exact idea is that
someone will batch-work an these files.

> * many KDE packages are not up to date  (guix refresh --type=kde).

Refreshing is part of the half-automated process done by the scripts.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |