unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GNU and GSoC
@ 2024-02-23  7:38 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-02-23  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits
  Cc: Arun Isaac, shahsarthakw, Guix Devel, Efraim Flashner

The GNU project is a GSoC org again. Last year Sarthak did a great job
working on parameterization of Guix. It works, and you can try the
code. See

=> https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2023/parameterized-packages-for-gnu-guix/
=> https://blog.lispy.tech/

For this year GNU can propose projects again. We should suggest Guix,
Mes and Hurd projects in the coming two weeks. Ping Gábor, Sarthak,
Arun, Efraim or me if you are interested in co-mentoring an effort.

Note that GSoC is competitive for orgs, mentors and students. It
requires effort, but anyone who participates can attest it is
rewarding. I have been doing this for more than 10 years. It is a
great programme.

Pj.

* Re: GNU and GSoC
@ 2024-02-23  7:49 ` Ada Stevenson
From: Ada Stevenson @ 2024-02-23  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

Having Guix be part of GSoC would be fantastic! I'd love to have the
opportunity to be mentored.

It would be exciting for Guix to receive some more attention, as well as
showing people how fun it is to hack on :)

Thanks,

Ada

On 2/23/24 7:38 AM, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> The GNU project is a GSoC org again. Last year Sarthak did a great job
> working on parameterization of Guix. It works, and you can try the
> code. See
>
> => https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2023/parameterized-packages-for-gnu-guix/
> => https://blog.lispy.tech/
>
> For this year GNU can propose projects again. We should suggest Guix,
> Mes and Hurd projects in the coming two weeks. Ping Gábor, Sarthak,
> Arun, Efraim or me if you are interested in co-mentoring an effort.
>
> Note that GSoC is competitive for orgs, mentors and students. It
> requires effort, but anyone who participates can attest it is
> rewarding. I have been doing this for more than 10 years. It is a
> great programme.
>
> Pj.

* Re: GNU and GSoC
@ 2024-02-23 23:15 ` Kierin Bell
From: Kierin Bell @ 2024-02-23 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins
  Cc: Gábor Boskovits, Arun Isaac, shahsarthakw, Guix Devel,
	Efraim Flashner

Hey Guix,

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> The GNU project is a GSoC org again. Last year Sarthak did a great job
> working on parameterization of Guix. It works, and you can try the
> code. See
>
> => https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2023/parameterized-packages-for-gnu-guix/
> => https://blog.lispy.tech/
>
> For this year GNU can propose projects again. We should suggest Guix,
> Mes and Hurd projects in the coming two weeks. Ping Gábor, Sarthak,
> Arun, Efraim or me if you are interested in co-mentoring an effort.

Please forgive my ignorance, but are non-mentors/prospective mentees
allowed to suggest GSoC project ideas here?

I have been wanting to work on implementing a general purpose
pretty-printing/formatting module for Guix that services (and Guix
system, style, Home, etc.) could use to serialize their given
configuration languages.  It would be better than manually formatting
raw strings as is done now by most services.  Ludo' first broached the
topic in a patch review[1].

The project feels to me like it would be much more attainable with
advice from a seasoned Schemer/Guixer.  So a mentor-mentee program could
be a good fit.

Again, I'm unsure exactly how this fits into the larger goals of the
project.  I suspect that services-related stuff like this may be lower
on the hierarchy of priorities.

[ Regardless, even if it turns out not to be a good fit for GSoC, I'd be
delighted to work on this with a bit of help and advice as time
allows. ]

Best,
Kierin

[1]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64620#15

* Re: GNU and GSoC
@ 2024-03-01 21:43   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-03-01 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kierin Bell
  Cc: Pjotr Prins, Gábor Boskovits, Arun Isaac, shahsarthakw,
	Guix Devel, Efraim Flashner

Thank you for the project idea. I will add it in.

More older proposals are listed here:

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2023

any of these we want to submit again? New ideas welcome too!

I'll add the Guix-based build tool again (to replace autoconf and
friends) if nothing better comes along. Any Hurd ideas out there? How
about improved Guix support and test coverage?  Or Mes - Ekaitz?

GSoC gives extra helpers.

Pj.