unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix Days and Fosdem 2024
@ 2023-09-17 14:42 Manolis Ragkousis
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2023-09-17 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel, guile-devel
  Cc: Pjotr Prins, Ludovic Courtès, Andy Wingo,
	Peter Munch-Ellingsen, zimoun, Hisham Muhammad, Jan Nieuwenhuizen,
	William Byrd, Pierre Neidhardt, Ricardo Wurmus, Amirouche,
	Efraim Flashner, Oliver Propst

Hello everyone,

It's that time of the year again. We should start preparing for the Guix
Days 2024 and a Declarative and Minimalistic Computing devroom proposal.

I have created the pages at [1] devroom proposal and [2] Guix days. I
copy pasted the text from last year and updated the year.

We need to update the topic and possible talks, decide on who to honor
in the devroom, etc.

Please update the pages with any input you have or ping us.

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon!

Manolis and Pjotr

[1] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/FOSDEM2024-devroom-proposal
[2] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2024

* Re: Guix Days and Fosdem 2024
@ 2023-09-18  8:16 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-09-18  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manolis Ragkousis, Guix Devel, guile-devel
  Cc: Pjotr Prins, Ludovic Courtès, Andy Wingo,
	Peter Munch-Ellingsen, Hisham Muhammad, Jan Nieuwenhuizen,
	William Byrd, Pierre Neidhardt, Ricardo Wurmus, Amirouche,
	Efraim Flashner, Oliver Propst

Hi Manolis,

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 at 17:42, Manolis Ragkousis <manolis837@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's that time of the year again. We should start preparing for the Guix
> Days 2024 and a Declarative and Minimalistic Computing devroom proposal.

Cool!

> I have created the pages at [1] devroom proposal and [2] Guix days. I
> copy pasted the text from last year and updated the year.

I have cleaned a bit – remove past irrelevant information – the page of
Guix Days. :-)

Hope to see you!

Cheers,
simon

@ 2023-09-27 19:34   ` Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2023-09-27 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier
  Cc: Manolis Ragkousis, Guix Devel, Pjotr Prins, Ludovic Courtès,
	Andy Wingo, Peter Munch-Ellingsen, Hisham Muhammad,
	Jan Nieuwenhuizen, William Byrd, Pierre Neidhardt, Ricardo Wurmus,
	Amirouche, Efraim Flashner, Oliver Propst, guile-devel

Very excited for FOSDEM / Guix Days 2024!  Definitely think there's been
plenty happening in Spritely-land that we'll have some things we want to
get in front of people, and conversations about how we can best work
with the greater Guile/Guix ecosystem.

 - Christine

* Re: Guix Days and Fosdem 2024
@ 2023-09-28  1:06     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2023-09-28  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Manolis Ragkousis, Guix Devel,
	Ludovic Courtès, Andy Wingo, Peter Munch-Ellingsen,
	Hisham Muhammad, Jan Nieuwenhuizen, William Byrd,
	Pierre Neidhardt, Ricardo Wurmus, Amirouche, Efraim Flashner,
	Oliver Propst, guile-devel

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 03:34:59PM -0400, Christine Lemmer-Webber wrote:
> Very excited for FOSDEM / Guix Days 2024!  Definitely think there's been
> plenty happening in Spritely-land that we'll have some things we want to
> get in front of people, and conversations about how we can best work
> with the greater Guile/Guix ecosystem.
>
>  - Christine

Totally! And glad you plan to be there! I plan to go. I think FOSDEM
is the one conference I never want to miss out on.

For FOSDEM/Guix days we need one or two people, in addition to Manolis
and myself, to help preparations for the events etc. Oliver, do you
want to help again? Anyone else interested? Best way to influence
proceedings is by contributing. Not a heavy task because we split
the work and Manolis always handles the most stressful bit of getting
the speaker list online ;) Seriously Manolis, we are grateful.

Pj.

* Re: Guix Days and Fosdem 2024
@ 2023-09-28 18:14       ` Tobias Alexandra Platen
From: Tobias Alexandra Platen @ 2023-09-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Thu, 2023-09-28 at 03:06 +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 03:34:59PM -0400, Christine Lemmer-Webber
> wrote:
> > Very excited for FOSDEM / Guix Days 2024!  Definitely think there's
> > been
> > plenty happening in Spritely-land that we'll have some things we
> > want to
> > get in front of people, and conversations about how we can best
> > work
> > with the greater Guile/Guix ecosystem.
> >
> >  - Christine
>
> Totally! And glad you plan to be there! I plan to go. I think FOSDEM
> is the one conference I never want to miss out on.
>
> For FOSDEM/Guix days we need one or two people, in addition to
> Manolis
> and myself, to help preparations for the events etc. Oliver, do you
> want to help again? Anyone else interested? Best way to influence
> proceedings is by contributing. Not a heavy task because we split
> the work and Manolis always handles the most stressful bit of getting
> the speaker list online ;) Seriously Manolis, we are grateful.
>
> Pj.

I will also likely participate after I missed last year.
Yesterday I was at the GNU event in Biel/Bienne.

Alex (they/them)

* Re: Guix Days and Fosdem 2024
@ 2023-10-02 11:14       ` Munyoki Kilyungi
From: Munyoki Kilyungi @ 2023-10-02 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, Christine Lemmer-Webber
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Manolis Ragkousis, Guix Devel,

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> aliandika:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 03:34:59PM -0400, Christine Lemmer-Webber wrote:
>> Very excited for FOSDEM / Guix Days 2024!  Definitely think there's been
>> plenty happening in Spritely-land that we'll have some things we want to
>> get in front of people, and conversations about how we can best work
>> with the greater Guile/Guix ecosystem.
>>
>>  - Christine
>
> Totally! And glad you plan to be there! I plan to go. I think FOSDEM
> is the one conference I never want to miss out on.
>
> For FOSDEM/Guix days we need one or two people, in addition to Manolis
> and myself, to help preparations for the events etc. Oliver, do you
> want to help again? Anyone else interested?

Me.  Also ...

> Best way to influence
> proceedings is by contributing. Not a heavy task because we split
> the work and Manolis always handles the most stressful bit of getting
> the speaker list online ;) Seriously Manolis, we are grateful.
>
> Pj.

If VISA issues are a non-issue, I could also help
out physically if one points me to how ;)

--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
    but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix Days and Fosdem 2024
@ 2023-10-02 12:21         ` Oliver Propst
From: Oliver Propst @ 2023-10-02 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Munyoki Kilyungi
  Cc: Pjotr Prins, Christine Lemmer-Webber, Simon Tournier,
	Manolis Ragkousis, Guix Devel, Ludovic Courtès, Andy Wingo,
	Peter Munch-Ellingsen, Hisham Muhammad, Jan Nieuwenhuizen,
	William Byrd, Pierre Neidhardt, Ricardo Wurmus, Amirouche,
	Efraim Flashner, guile-devel

Nice to see that the planning for FOSDEM 2024 have begun. It will be
interesting to see what happens with regards to Guix.

--
-mvh Oliver Propst

* GUIX days and FOSDEM 2024
@ 2024-01-04 21:49 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-01-04 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Just a quick heads up. Feb 1+2 we are organising Guix days and a devroom at
FOSDEM (Feb 4).

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2024

(do add your name if you want to attend - the amount of attendees of
Guix days is limited to some 40).

https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/track/declarative-and-minimalistic-computing/

If you want to meet with the Guix and Guile hackers this is an event
you should not miss out on :). And FOSDEM is itself is free and
amazing. Just look at the Saturday programme:

https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/day/saturday/

There is something for everyone. If you can't make it in person -
every talk is streamed.

@ 2024-01-16  5:32 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-01-16  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Guix Devel

Guix days has close to 40 participants now - that is the number we can
host in the main room due to fire regulations. Do add yourself if you
intend to join because if we are too many we'll go by this list. Add
the day if it is just for a day.

Looks like next year we need a larger venue :)

Pj.

On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 09:49:09PM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Just a quick heads up. Feb 1+2 we are organising Guix days and a devroom at
> FOSDEM (Feb 4).
>
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2024
>
> (do add your name if you want to attend - the amount of attendees of
> Guix days is limited to some 40).
>
> https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/track/declarative-and-minimalistic-computing/
>
> If you want to meet with the Guix and Guile hackers this is an event
> you should not miss out on :). And FOSDEM is itself is free and
> amazing. Just look at the Saturday programme:
>
> https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/day/saturday/
>
> There is something for everyone. If you can't make it in person -
> every talk is streamed.
>
> Looking forward to seeing you!
>
> Pj.

* Re: GUIX days and FOSDEM 2024
@ 2024-01-26  9:54   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-01-26  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel; +Cc: Manolis Ragkousis

Hi all,

We have overshot 40 participants for Guix days. If you add yourself to
the list you may still get in. I think capacity is up to 50 people.
If we really have to bar people we can set up a satellite event
somewhere (a fringe of a fringe), but I think we'll be OK.

We'll have to look for a larger venue next year!! Go go Guix!

On a separate note, our friend indieterminancy (aka Jonathan) has
organised a Friday evening dinner for us at Offdem!!

=> https://oxygen.offdem.net/pub/offdem-ourstory

Near Pont Jules de Trooz. It is a 40 minute walk past Gar du Nord, or
a bus ride away.

Again we have a limited number of 40 seats, and others may want to
join who are not coming to Guix days, so use the following website to
sign up (you don't have to sign in - though you need to verify by
E-mail):

=> https://mobilizon.nl/events/ee570f76-1898-43ff-88f0-86f18608ff2d

signup by email option:

=> https://mobilizon.nl/events/ee570f76-1898-43ff-88f0-86f18608ff2d/participate/without-account

They'll cook with volunteers for a larger group in addition to ours.
If you or your partner want to help with cooking that will be much
appreciated! Maybe and antidote to geeky stuff. We can send a note.
Dinner will cost EUR 20 pp. After 10pm we should be quiet - it is
residential area.

If too many people want to sign up we can organise another satellite
dinner on Friday. Just ping us at that point. There are many
restaurants in that area.

Do sign up - it is first come first serve in both cases.

Pj.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 05:32:09AM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Guix days has close to 40 participants now - that is the number we can
> host in the main room due to fire regulations. Do add yourself if you
> intend to join because if we are too many we'll go by this list. Add
> the day if it is just for a day.
>
> Looks like next year we need a larger venue :)
>
> Pj.
>
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 09:49:09PM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > Just a quick heads up. Feb 1+2 we are organising Guix days and a devroom at
> > FOSDEM (Feb 4).
> >
> > https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2024
> >
> > (do add your name if you want to attend - the amount of attendees of
> > Guix days is limited to some 40).
> >
> > https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/track/declarative-and-minimalistic-computing/
> >
> > If you want to meet with the Guix and Guile hackers this is an event
> > you should not miss out on :). And FOSDEM is itself is free and
> > amazing. Just look at the Saturday programme:
> >
> > https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/day/saturday/
> >
> > There is something for everyone. If you can't make it in person -
> > every talk is streamed.
> >
> > Looking forward to seeing you!
> >
> > Pj.
> >

> --

* Re: GUIX days and FOSDEM 2024
@ 2024-02-01 13:35     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-02-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel; +Cc: Manolis Ragkousis

Guix days is happening with a large group! To keep track of things we
have a guix days channel on matrix:

https://matrix.to/#/#guix-days:matrix.org

Pj.

* Re: GUIX days and FOSDEM 2024
@ 2024-02-04 20:41       ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-02-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel; +Cc: Manolis Ragkousis

We want to thank everyone for the excellent Guix days with over 40
people attending and a great devroom today. Nothing about this is to
be taken for granted. Mes, Guix and Guile are going from strength to
strength and the community is awe inspiring. We feel empowered.

Thank you all! Let's do it again in 2025.

Pjotr & Manolis.