unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Jami: Bug source investigation
@ 2020-04-08 23:20 Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-08 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

so I tested Jami on core-updates and it didn't fix the bug
(https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-packaging/issues/63)

Here's my work up to now, it is on wip-jami branch:
https://gitlab.com/kromka_chleba/jami-package-and-other-things-for-guix/-/tree/wip-jami
https://gitlab.com/kromka_chleba/jami-package-and-other-things-for-guix.git

What happens is when making an audio call and then pressing the red
"disconnect" button, Jami daemon (dring) stops with the following
message:

dring: ../src/pjsip-ua/sip_inv.c:246: pjsip_inv_dec_ref: Assertion `inv
&& inv->ref_cnt' failed.

This issue is related to pjproject (https://www.pjsip.org/) - the
library implementing SIP, and patches Jami developers apply to it,
which can be found in ring-project/daemon/contrib/src/pjproject/.

I need help of someone experienced to investigate what is the
difference that makes our package crash, that doesn't occur on other
distributions. If we find out, we will hand it to Jami developers
so they can fix it.

Running daemon in the debugging mode:

/lib/ring/dring -pcd

Jami is built on debian 10, fedora 31, ubuntu 19.10 using GCC with
scripts written in python and bash located in ring-project/make-ring.py
and ring-project/scripts.

The source packages are available here:
https://dl.jami.net/release/tarballs/

And the binaries that don't suffer from the bug are here:
https://dl.jami.net/nightly/

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: Jami: Bug source investigation (help needed)
@ 2020-04-13 21:21 ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-13 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I tried some more things:
- building everything with gcc-8 (version Debian 10 uses, where Jami
  works)
- using dependency tarballs from pjproject source instead of Guix
  packages, you can see this mess on my gitlab repo on
  wip-pjproject-fix branch
https://gitlab.com/kromka_chleba/jami-package-and-other-things-for-guix

As I said before, I'm out of ideas how to fix the problem.

@ 2020-04-15 18:31 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-04-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan, guix-devel

Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> so I tested Jami on core-updates and it didn't fix the bug
> (https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-packaging/issues/63)
>
> Here's my work up to now, it is on wip-jami branch:
> https://gitlab.com/kromka_chleba/jami-package-and-other-things-for-guix/-/tree/wip-jami
> https://gitlab.com/kromka_chleba/jami-package-and-other-things-for-guix.git
>
> What happens is when making an audio call and then pressing the red
> "disconnect" button, Jami daemon (dring) stops with the following
> message:
>
> dring: ../src/pjsip-ua/sip_inv.c:246: pjsip_inv_dec_ref: Assertion `inv
> && inv->ref_cnt' failed.

It looks like this problem was fixed a while back:

https://trac.pjsip.org/repos/ticket/2240
https://github.com/pjsip/pjproject/commit/d5a9caf6aac077c157fa6b20c770385c2355973d

Have you tried updating pjproject to 2.10?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jami: Bug source investigation
@ 2020-04-15 18:54   ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-15 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 20:31:01 +0200
Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like this problem was fixed a while back:
>
> https://trac.pjsip.org/repos/ticket/2240
> https://github.com/pjsip/pjproject/commit/d5a9caf6aac077c157fa6b20c770385c2355973d
>
> Have you tried updating pjproject to 2.10?

Yes, of course. It seems all pjproject errors look like this :P

Is there a way to use configure flags from rules.mak file provided by
Jami? Currently I use "#:configure-flags" form, but I have to be sure I
didn't miss anything important from the file.

@ 2020-04-16  8:16     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-04-16  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan, Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Jan,

If I understand correctly, your updated package works better than the
one we've current got in Guix.

What I suggest is that you send the patch set, we review and merge it,
then the Jami developers will be able to reproduce the bug easily by
simply installing Guix on their system.

What do you think?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jami: Bug source investigation
@ 2020-04-16 11:57       ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-16 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 10:16:27 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> If I understand correctly, your updated package works better than the
> one we've current got in Guix.

Chat seems to work, sending recorded audio/video messages works,
sending files works, audio/video calls work (ignoring the crash when
disconnecting). Works better I guess, last time nothing was working.

> What I suggest is that you send the patch set, we review and merge it,
> then the Jami developers will be able to reproduce the bug easily by
> simply installing Guix on their system.
> What do you think?

Seems to be a good idea. The question is if Jami developers
will have time to help us, they're not volunteers, but are employed by
Savoir-Faire Linux after all.

I'll prepare the patches later today, or you can just clone it from
here:
https://gitlab.com/kromka_chleba/jami-package-and-other-things-for-guix.git
My work is on the wip-jami branch.

@ 2020-04-17  0:53       ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-17  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Okay, the patches are there.
It should be available soon https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/40677

@ 2020-05-03  7:54         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-05-03  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan; +Cc: guix-devel

I see the new Jami got merged yesterday, thanks a lot for your work, Jan
and Mathieu!

I just tested it with another client on macOS:

- I can chat, althought it's very slow and some messages don't arrive sequentially.

- Placing and audio or video call loops for minutes, possibly endlessly.
  The red "hang up" button does nothing.

Have you had success placing a call?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jami: Bug source investigation
@ 2020-05-03 14:05           ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-05-03 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, 03 May 2020 09:54:34 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> I see the new Jami got merged yesterday, thanks a lot for your work,
> Jan and Mathieu!
>
> I just tested it with another client on macOS:
>
> - I can chat, althought it's very slow and some messages don't arrive
> sequentially.

This greatly depends on your network setup. If there's NAT or firewall
messages can get delayed. In my LAN, sending messages is instant.

> - Placing and audio or video call loops for minutes, possibly
> endlessly. The red "hang up" button does nothing.

That's a known bug. I told Jami developers about recent update and they
are going to test it.

> Have you had success placing a call?

Placing a call works, disconnecting doesn't.

@ 2020-05-03 14:17             ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-05-03 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan; +Cc: guix-devel

Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> Placing a call works, disconnecting doesn't.

Hmm, does not work for me.  Have you tried non-locally, over a WAN?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jami: Bug source investigation
@ 2020-05-03 14:50               ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-05-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, 03 May 2020 16:17:57 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:
>
> > Placing a call works, disconnecting doesn't.
>
> Hmm, does not work for me.  Have you tried non-locally, over a WAN?

Calls over WAN are always tricky, I had little luck with that even with
the official Jami binary packages. With some friends everything works
100%, with other nothing works. I guess that's because of outdated
proprietary router/modem firmware and hostility towards p2p.
Try disabling firewall on your router (yeah I know, sounds bad).

@ 2020-05-03 15:26                 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-05-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan; +Cc: guix-devel

Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> Calls over WAN are always tricky, I had little luck with that even with
> the official Jami binary packages. With some friends everything works
> 100%, with other nothing works. I guess that's because of outdated
> proprietary router/modem firmware and hostility towards p2p.
> Try disabling firewall on your router (yeah I know, sounds bad).

Sadly I can't do that on my friends routers :(
As long as this issue persists, this makes Jami not so useful as a
communication tool.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jami: Bug source investigation
@ 2020-05-03 15:28                   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-05-03 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Jan, guix-devel

 ---- On Sun, 03 May 2020 15:26:33 +0000 Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote ----
 > Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:
 >
 > > Calls over WAN are always tricky, I had little luck with that even with
 > > the official Jami binary packages. With some friends everything works
 > > 100%, with other nothing works. I guess that's because of outdated
 > > proprietary router/modem firmware and hostility towards p2p.
 > > Try disabling firewall on your router (yeah I know, sounds bad).
 >
 > Sadly I can't do that on my friends routers :(
 > As long as this issue persists, this makes Jami not so useful as a
 > communication tool.

Sad :(

* Re: Jami: Bug source investigation
@ 2020-05-03 16:11                   ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-05-03 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, 03 May 2020 17:26:33 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:
>
> > Calls over WAN are always tricky, I had little luck with that even
> > with the official Jami binary packages. With some friends
> > everything works 100%, with other nothing works. I guess that's
> > because of outdated proprietary router/modem firmware and hostility
> > towards p2p. Try disabling firewall on your router (yeah I know,
> > sounds bad).
>
> Sadly I can't do that on my friends routers :(
> As long as this issue persists, this makes Jami not so useful as a
> communication tool.

You can also set up/use existing TURN server.
There was a blog post about it:
https://jami.net/establishing-peer-to-peer-connections-with-jami/

Would be cool if someone added to Jami something like GNUnet or Tor
support - using peers you can connect to as relays.

Eventually you can buy your friends a better router with sane
configuration for birthday or burn ISPs to the ground and create user
controlled mesh network :)

Jan Wielkiewicz