unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Cookbook translations
@ 2020-04-27 23:24 Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2020-04-27 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: operator.name

while looking at this bug:

I wondered: do you know how the cookbook translations are organized? I
see there is only one initial commit by Florian Pelz for the German
translation:

commit f98e83a17fa30587520e858231ec9c61f3624ecd
Author: Florian Pelz <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
Date:   Mon Feb 17 07:35:26 2020 +0100

The cookbook itself:

https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/

encourages one to use the translation project:

https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-cookbook.html

but that URL 404s.

On the Translation-Projects site:

https://translationproject.org/domain/index.html

I see projects for guix, guix-manual and guix-packages but not for the
guix-cookbook. Are there any plans to add the cookbook to the
Translation Project?

Thanks,

Björn

* Re: Cookbook translations
@ 2020-04-27 23:42 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-04-27 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: guix-devel, operator.name

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:24:30AM +0200, Björn Höfling wrote:
> I wondered: do you know how the cookbook translations are organized?

I just replied to the bug
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2020-04/msg00618.html>.

----- Forwarded message from "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> -----

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 01:36:40 +0200
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
To: Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de>
Cc: 40803@debbugs.gnu.org, operator.name@protonmail.com
Subject: Re: bug#40803: One page HTML cookbooks are 404

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:01:03AM +0200, Björn Höfling wrote:
> BTW, the link to the translation project 404s too:
>
> https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-cookbook.html

The cookbook is not available at the TP because no POT file is shipped
in Guix’ tarball.  Julien suggested moving the translation from the TP
infrastructure to a Weblate setup (which I agree Guix should try and
experiment with), so instead of waiting for inclusion of the cookbook
at the TP I just commited the German translation directly to Guix
master without going through the Translation Project.  (It is
important that the version at the TP is the most current version, but
since there is no cookbook at the TP, it does not matter currently.)

Regards,
Florian

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: Cookbook translations
@ 2020-04-28 17:46   ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2020-04-28 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: guix-devel, operator.name

Hi Florian,

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 01:42:31 +0200
"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:24:30AM +0200, Björn Höfling wrote:
> > I wondered: do you know how the cookbook translations are
> > organized?

[..]

> The cookbook is not available at the TP because no POT file is shipped
> in Guix’ tarball.  Julien suggested moving the translation from the TP
> infrastructure to a Weblate setup (which I agree Guix should try and
> experiment with), so instead of waiting for inclusion of the cookbook
> at the TP I just commited the German translation directly to Guix
> master without going through the Translation Project.  (It is
> important that the version at the TP is the most current version, but
> since there is no cookbook at the TP, it does not matter currently.)
>
> Regards,
> Florian

I see.

Do you want to use the hosted version of Weblate or are there plans to
host it within Guix?

I just wondered because Weblate uses Node/yarn packages:

https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/blob/master/scripts/yarn/package.json

Would that be OK for just hosting it as a service or do we need the
npm/yrn-importer first? :-)

Björn

* Re: Cookbook translations
@ 2020-04-28 18:23     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-04-28 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
  Cc: guix-devel, operator.name

Le 28 avril 2020 13:46:33 GMT-04:00, "Björn Höfling" <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> a écrit :
>Hi Florian,
>
>On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 01:42:31 +0200
>"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:24:30AM +0200, Björn Höfling wrote:
>> > I wondered: do you know how the cookbook translations are
>> > organized?
>
>[..]
>
>> The cookbook is not available at the TP because no POT file is
>shipped
>> in Guix’ tarball.  Julien suggested moving the translation from the
>TP
>> infrastructure to a Weblate setup (which I agree Guix should try and
>> experiment with), so instead of waiting for inclusion of the cookbook
>> at the TP I just commited the German translation directly to Guix
>> master without going through the Translation Project.  (It is
>> important that the version at the TP is the most current version, but
>> since there is no cookbook at the TP, it does not matter currently.)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Florian
>
>I see.
>
>Do you want to use the hosted version of Weblate or are there plans to
>host it within Guix?
>
>I just wondered because Weblate uses Node/yarn packages:
>
>https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/blob/master/scripts/yarn/package.json
>
>Would that be OK for just hosting it as a service or do we need the
>npm/yrn-importer first? :-)
>
>Björn

The translation project is already hosted outside the guix project, so I don't see any issue if we're not able to package it just yet.

hosted.weblate.org has some tracking in place (a matomo instance hosted by the weblate author). I wouldn't like to expose our users to it. Fedora has a weblate instance open to any free software project with no tracking, so I was suggesting using it instead.

* Re: Cookbook translations
@ 2020-04-29 19:52       ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2020-04-29 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel, operator.name