unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-06 16:35 Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello everybody,

I recently tested Jami using the latest pjproject version - 2.10 which
was supposed to fix some strange bugs that are present only on Guix,
but it didn't.
https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-packaging/issues/63
Jami developer - Sébastien Blin told me: "Imho the probable issue
is related to our codebase... and this would need some bisect to
understand what's wrong... This can be long and painful" and I'm
currently out of ideas what could cause this bug.

My last chance is waiting for core-updates to be merged into master and
maybe something will fix the problem magically. When is
the 1.1.0 release planned?

If not this, I will have to wait for Jami developers to investigate the
problem for me which can be difficult, since they're busy working and
they're probably not familiar enough with Guix to help.

I still wonder what could be the source of the problem. Would be cool
if someone could help me check whether it's reproducibility or
packaging problem.

I know they use gcc on debian 10, fedora 31 and ubuntu 19.10 to build
Jami and the bug isn't present there - it's Guix-only problem (packages
build using Guix don't work properly on foreign distributions either).

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-06 18:26 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-04-06 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan, guix-devel

Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I recently tested Jami using the latest pjproject version - 2.10 which
> was supposed to fix some strange bugs that are present only on Guix,
> but it didn't.
> https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-packaging/issues/63
> Jami developer - Sébastien Blin told me: "Imho the probable issue
> is related to our codebase... and this would need some bisect to
> understand what's wrong... This can be long and painful" and I'm
> currently out of ideas what could cause this bug.

Do you have a patch we can use to reproduce this issue on Guix?

> My last chance is waiting for core-updates to be merged into master and
> maybe something will fix the problem magically. When is
> the 1.1.0 release planned?

You can easily test the patch on core-updates by simply checking out the
branch and apply your patches.  Or 'guix pull --branch=core-updates' if
you are testing via a channel.

1.1.0 will be released before the core-updates merge.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-06 18:51   ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-06 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 20:26:36 +0200
Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have a patch we can use to reproduce this issue on Guix?

The patch set is pretty big right now - over 20 patches. I'll upload my
work to my online repository, but have little time right now.

> You can easily test the patch on core-updates by simply checking out
> the branch and apply your patches.  Or 'guix pull
> --branch=core-updates' if you are testing via a channel.

My machine is a toaster and rebuilding all Jami dependencies
would take days. I could try on the second one, I'll do this when I get
some free time.

> 1.1.0 will be released before the core-updates merge.

I'll try with the current core-updates then.

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-07 22:51   ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-07 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

I get several merge conflicts when merging wip-jami into core updates.
The wip-jami is based on the current master, rebased a minute ago.
Is there a way to avoid this without pain?

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-07 23:06     ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-04-07 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan; +Cc: guix-devel

Jan <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> I get several merge conflicts when merging wip-jami into core updates.
> The wip-jami is based on the current master, rebased a minute ago.
> Is there a way to avoid this without pain?

A git merge will merge all the commits, some of which are bound to cause
conflicts.  I will try to resolve those tomorrow.

In the mean time, you should be able to "cherry-pick" your patches
instead.  Something along the lines of:

$ git checkout core-updates
$ git cherry-pick master..wip-jami

Does that work?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-07 23:52       ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-07 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, 08 Apr 2020 01:06:14 +0200
Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> wrote:

> A git merge will merge all the commits, some of which are bound to
> cause conflicts.  I will try to resolve those tomorrow.
>
> In the mean time, you should be able to "cherry-pick" your patches
> instead.  Something along the lines of:
>
> $ git checkout core-updates
> $ git cherry-pick master..wip-jami
>
> Does that work?

I'm currently hacking it together using "git format-patch" and "git
am" and it seems to work. I'll compile Jami and check if the bug is
present.
Will remember about this cherry-pick thing, because resolving failing
patches wasn't fun, thanks.

If it succeeds, I will need a way to copy contents of the store on my
powerful machine to my potato machine. Is "guix copy" the tool I can
use?

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-08  0:34         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-04-08  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 01:52:14AM +0200, Jan wrote:
> If it succeeds, I will need a way to copy contents of the store on my
> powerful machine to my potato machine. Is "guix copy" the tool I can
> use?

Yup! You'll need to authorize the building machine's key on the potato.

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-copy.html

* Re: Packaging Jami "progress"
@ 2020-04-08  0:39   ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2020-04-08  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Just tested Jami on core-updates and no magic happened, the bug is
still there.
I'm out of ideas. I'm going to upload my work somewhere tomorrow.
Someone really needs to help me with this, I'm not experienced enough
to handle this kind of bugs myself.

Jan Wielkiewicz