unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System
@ 2019-06-07 10:10 Félicien Pillot
From: Félicien Pillot @ 2019-06-07 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi Guix,

First, I would like to congratulate and thank you for the excellent work you are doing in the development of both Guix and this community.

Then, I'm writing today because I would be interested to have the KDE Plasma desktop running on Guix System.
I am willing to participate in its integration; I have already seen —roughly— that a good part of kde-frameworks was already packaged in the Guix depots; I also saw that some core parts for the desktop are currently missing.
Before I start a full diagnosis of the current situation, I would like to know: does someone in the team already have done so? or would perhaps be responsible for integrating the KDE packages? in short, have we now a good overview of the current situation, on where the KDE packaging process is currently at?
If there isn't any "global vision" of the state-of-the-art for the Plasma desktop yet, I would be happy to take care of it, by searching on the mailing list, testing the different parts already integrated, the necessary dependencies, the missing parts, etc. I'm a newby in Guile and Guix, so it would probably take time (and questions)

Thanks and happy hacking,
--
Félicien Pillot
2C7C ACC0 FBDB ADBA E7BC  50D9 043C D143 6C87 9372

[-- Attachment #2: Signature digitale OpenPGP --]

* Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System
@ 2019-06-10 12:26 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-06-10 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Félicien Pillot, guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi Félicien,

Félicien Pillot <felicien@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> First, I would like to congratulate and thank you for the excellent work you are doing in the development of both Guix and this community.

Thank you for the kind words!  :-)

> Then, I'm writing today because I would be interested to have the KDE Plasma desktop running on Guix System.
> I am willing to participate in its integration; I have already seen —roughly— that a good part of kde-frameworks was already packaged in the Guix depots; I also saw that some core parts for the desktop are currently missing.
> Before I start a full diagnosis of the current situation, I would like to know: does someone in the team already have done so? or would perhaps be responsible for integrating the KDE packages? in short, have we now a good overview of the current situation, on where the KDE packaging process is currently at?
> If there isn't any "global vision" of the state-of-the-art for the Plasma desktop yet, I would be happy to take care of it, by searching on the mailing list, testing the different parts already integrated, the necessary dependencies, the missing parts, etc. I'm a newby in Guile and Guix, so it would probably take time (and questions)

Hartmut did work on KDE Plasma in the past.  You may find some of his
packages here:
<https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix/blob/kde-plasma/gnu/packages/kde-plasma.scm>.

I don't think anyone else have attempted it, so your help is very
welcome!

You may find the KDE updater useful before you begin packaging new
applications:

  ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -t kde -u

...that command will update the package versions and hashes in your
local repository with the latest ones found on the KDE mirrors.  It
requires a local Guix checkout as described in the manual under
"Building from git".  Feel free to send patches as you go along.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Guix!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System
@ 2019-06-12 10:18   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2019-06-12 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke, Félicien Pillot, guix-devel@gnu.org

Am 10.06.19 um 14:26 schrieb Marius Bakke:
> Hartmut did work on KDE Plasma in the past.  You may find some of his
> packages here:
> <https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix/blob/kde-plasma/gnu/packages/kde-plasma.scm>.

I'm more than happy if someone picks up this work, as I'm lacking time
to complete.

I just added a *lot* of information to this repo, esp. the state of
packaging, etc.

* 10-TODO-….txt contain the status of my efforts (which might be
outdated) and
  a lot of snippets useful for building packages and making tests pass.

  Please at least skim through these files as they contain lots hof
hints and
  some gems :-)

  The most central of this is the "Status Unit-tests" in
  10-TODO-plasma.txt. This documents the status of building the packages
  required for plasma. I'm encouraging you to use this list to avoid getting
  lost :-)

* Proposed approach

  1. Make the packages listed in "Status Unit-tests" in
     10-TODO-plasma.txt. build and (most) tests pass. This list hopefully
     contains all package required for a minimal Plasma desktop service.

     I suggest using the plasma versions currently package on this branch to
     avoid introducing more issues.

  2. Build a system (see gnu/system/examples/plasma.tmpl and
     gnu/services/desktop.scm) which starts runs a small (or even minimal)
     Plasma desktop.

  3. Define two (maybe more) desktop-services:
     - plasma-minimal
     - plasma
     (- plasma-all-bells-and-wistels)

> I don't think anyone else have attempted it, so your help is very
> welcome!

PanterX, https://www.pantherx.org/ hat hat a bounty on "kwin"
(https://git.pantherx.org/bounty), but no longer exists. Maybe you get
in touch with them. They promised to merge back when they secceed.

> You may find the KDE updater useful before you begin packaging new
> applications:
>
>   ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -t kde -u

Last time I used `-t kde` for updating did not fetch all packages and
I'm afraid it still does not, see
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30345>

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System
@ 2019-06-13 19:30     ` Félicien Pillot
From: Félicien Pillot @ 2019-06-13 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Thank you Marius for your answer, and for welcoming me into Guix!

Le Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:18:42 +0200,
Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> a écrit :
> I'm more than happy if someone picks up this work, as I'm lacking time
> to complete.
>
> I just added a *lot* of information to this repo, esp. the state of
> packaging, etc.
>
> * 10-TODO-….txt contain the status of my efforts (which might be
> outdated) and
>   a lot of snippets useful for building packages and making tests pass.
>
>   Please at least skim through these files as they contain lots hof
> hints and
>   some gems :-)
>
>   The most central of this is the "Status Unit-tests" in
>   10-TODO-plasma.txt. This documents the status of building the packages
>   required for plasma. I'm encouraging you to use this list to avoid getting
>   lost :-)

Thank you, I am currently cloning your git repo and reading your TODOs, it's a big work you've already done, thank you!
I may ask you for some details when I finish looking through all your documentation.
Remember that I'm a beginner on Guix, and haven't much free time to devote myself to it, so it's possible the operation may take some time.

> * Proposed approach
>
>   1. Make the packages listed in "Status Unit-tests" in
>      10-TODO-plasma.txt. build and (most) tests pass. This list hopefully
>      contains all package required for a minimal Plasma desktop service.
>
>      I suggest using the plasma versions currently package on this branch to
>      avoid introducing more issues.
>
>   2. Build a system (see gnu/system/examples/plasma.tmpl and
>      gnu/services/desktop.scm) which starts runs a small (or even minimal)
>      Plasma desktop.
>
>   3. Define two (maybe more) desktop-services:
>      - plasma-minimal
>      - plasma
>      (- plasma-all-bells-and-wistels)

I'll let you know when it's done, hopefully in a little while!

Happy hacking,
--

@ 2019-09-26  8:25 Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2019-09-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: felicien; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

On behalf of PantherX team just wanted to mention that our bounty program is
still active for whom interested to work on `kwin` package.

Anyone interested to work on `kwin` package and provide a working version could
reach us both here on this thread or by contacting bounty@pantherx.org.

The bounty results will be published to the community and whoever does that
gets the full credit.

At the end just wanted to mention The bounty is really just a motivation that
hopefully benefits the whole community.

---
Regards
Reza Alizadeh Majd