unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Preparing mass-packaging of 170 KDE application - hwo to do?
@ 2016-11-25 12:11 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-11-25 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I'm currently working on a script to mass-generate *draft* packages for
KDE applications. Ca. 170 of them :-) These are the ones listed at
<https://www.kde.org/applications/>

The idea is to have a draft which can easily be taken and adopted.
Inputs will be lists at best knowledge (taken from the CMakeLists.txt
file). Synopsis and description are pre-filled from Debian and Mageia.

Nevertheless 170 packages are a lot of work, which I would like to
distribute. Esp. checking the licenses and linting is quite some effort.

Questions:

  * To distribute the workload, I'd like to put the drafts somewhere.
    Should I push this into a wip-branch? Or hat else would be an option?

  * Should these apps be sorted alphabetically of being grouped
    (development, office, system, education, utilis, …)?

  * Any other hints for managing this mass of patches and changes?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Preparing mass-packaging of 170 KDE application - hwo to do?
@ 2016-11-27  2:51 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2016-11-27  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on a script to mass-generate *draft* packages for
> KDE applications. Ca. 170 of them :-) These are the ones listed at
> <https://www.kde.org/applications/>
>
> The idea is to have a draft which can easily be taken and adopted.
> Inputs will be lists at best knowledge (taken from the CMakeLists.txt
> file). Synopsis and description are pre-filled from Debian and Mageia.

Amazing works!

> Nevertheless 170 packages are a lot of work, which I would like to
> distribute. Esp. checking the licenses and linting is quite some effort.
>
> Questions:
>
>   * To distribute the workload, I'd like to put the drafts somewhere.
>     Should I push this into a wip-branch? Or hat else would be an option?

Yes, please.  And instead of working on this branch directly and merge
it as a whole, I think we can cherry-pick 1 by 1 from it.

>   * Should these apps be sorted alphabetically of being grouped
>     (development, office, system, education, utilis, …)?

No prefernece here.

Thanks for the works!

* Re: Preparing mass-packaging of 170 KDE application - hwo to do?
@ 2016-11-27 21:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-11-27 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: guix-devel

iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) skribis:

> Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently working on a script to mass-generate *draft* packages for
>> KDE applications. Ca. 170 of them :-) These are the ones listed at
>> <https://www.kde.org/applications/>
>>
>> The idea is to have a draft which can easily be taken and adopted.
>> Inputs will be lists at best knowledge (taken from the CMakeLists.txt
>> file). Synopsis and description are pre-filled from Debian and Mageia.
>
> Amazing works!
>

>> Nevertheless 170 packages are a lot of work, which I would like to
>> distribute. Esp. checking the licenses and linting is quite some effort.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>>   * To distribute the workload, I'd like to put the drafts somewhere.
>>     Should I push this into a wip-branch? Or hat else would be an option?
>
> Yes, please.  And instead of working on this branch directly and merge
> it as a whole, I think we can cherry-pick 1 by 1 from it.
>

>>   * Should these apps be sorted alphabetically of being grouped
>>     (development, office, system, education, utilis, …)?
>
> No prefernece here.

Should the apps go in a new file, kde-applications.scm?  It would make
sure we don’t end up with a huge module.  WDYT?

Regarding synopses and descriptions, please make sure those that are
imported are generally in line with what we do (most likely they are).

Congrats on the mass import!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Preparing mass-packaging of 338 KDE application - how to do?
@ 2016-12-04 19:59     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-12-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, 宋文武; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

the number of packages increased to 338(!).

The first list of 170 contained "only" the applications listed at
http://kde.org/applications. In addition there are ca. 90 packages in
download.kde.org/stable/applications and another ca. 90 in
download.kde.org/stable/ which are not listed at
http://kde.org/applications. Among these are important things like
plasma (which AFAIK is the desktop).

Given this huge number of package, we should agree on
a) into which .scm we want to split then
b) a proceeding.
c) volunteers

a) into which .scm we want to split then

The packages in my list have categories like Development, Education,
Office, Plasma, System, mostly following the categories in
http://kde.org/applications (plus one or two I created).

Guix already has kde.scm, containing a few "unsorted" packages, not even
listed are kde.org/applications. So using a file "kde-application.scm"
would not give a major benefit compared to using "kde.scm" IMHO. (The
framework is in kde-framework.scm already).

Another idea (which I'd prefer) is to put the packages into files
following the categories above, e.g. "kde-development.scm",
"kde-edu.scm", etc. It's up to the packager to select where to put the
"unlisted" stuff.

b) proceeding

I first had the idea to avoid flooding guix-commit with 340 messages by
pushing *one* commit to "wip-kde-applications". Whoever is working on a
package would copy-and-pastes the relevant part from this branch into
his/her working-copy. But when rethinking this, this is to complicated
and may distract people from working on packages.

So I'd follow iyzsong's suggestion and prepare 340 commits for
wip-kde-applications, where others can cherry-pick from and amending
with "git commit --amend --reset-author" (or using git gui). The commits
I prepare would already contain an appropriate draft message.

Additionally I'd putt a lot of information into each package, e.g.
typical URLs where to look for updates, etc.

c) Volunteers
> Regarding synopses and descriptions, please make sure those that are
> imported are generally in line with what we do (most likely they are).
>
> Congrats on the mass import!  :-)

Thanks for the congrats, but I'm only preparing the stuff. I'm not going
to import all these packages :-)

Does anybody have contact to KDE, KDE developers or Debian maintainers
we can ask for supporting our efforts? Esp. for the desktop services it
would be great if somebody already knowing the software could assist.
May we (Ludo?) could ask the KDE e.V. for assistance?

How does this sound? Comments are welcome!

--

@ 2016-12-04 20:27       ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-12-04 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 08:59:24PM +0100, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the number of packages increased to 338(!).
>
> The first list of 170 contained "only" the applications listed at
> http://kde.org/applications. In addition there are ca. 90 packages in
> download.kde.org/stable/applications and another ca. 90 in
> download.kde.org/stable/ which are not listed at
> http://kde.org/applications. Among these are important things like
> plasma (which AFAIK is the desktop).
>
> Given this huge number of package, we should agree on
> a) into which .scm we want to split then
> b) a proceeding.
> c) volunteers
>
> a) into which .scm we want to split then
>
> The packages in my list have categories like Development, Education,
> Office, Plasma, System, mostly following the categories in
> http://kde.org/applications (plus one or two I created).
>
> Guix already has kde.scm, containing a few "unsorted" packages, not even
> listed are kde.org/applications. So using a file "kde-application.scm"
> would not give a major benefit compared to using "kde.scm" IMHO. (The
> framework is in kde-framework.scm already).
>
> Another idea (which I'd prefer) is to put the packages into files
> following the categories above, e.g. "kde-development.scm",
> "kde-edu.scm", etc. It's up to the packager to select where to put the
> "unlisted" stuff.

I have no preferences

> b) proceeding
>
> I first had the idea to avoid flooding guix-commit with 340 messages by
> pushing *one* commit to "wip-kde-applications". Whoever is working on a
> package would copy-and-pastes the relevant part from this branch into
> his/her working-copy. But when rethinking this, this is to complicated
> and may distract people from working on packages.
>
> So I'd follow iyzsong's suggestion and prepare 340 commits for
> wip-kde-applications, where others can cherry-pick from and amending
> with "git commit --amend --reset-author" (or using git gui). The commits
> I prepare would already contain an appropriate draft message.
>
> Additionally I'd putt a lot of information into each package, e.g.
> typical URLs where to look for updates, etc.

This sounds like a good idea

> c) Volunteers
> > Regarding synopses and descriptions, please make sure those that are
> > imported are generally in line with what we do (most likely they are).
> >
> > Congrats on the mass import!  :-)
>
> Thanks for the congrats, but I'm only preparing the stuff. I'm not going
> to import all these packages :-)
>
> Does anybody have contact to KDE, KDE developers or Debian maintainers
> we can ask for supporting our efforts? Esp. for the desktop services it
> would be great if somebody already knowing the software could assist.
> May we (Ludo?) could ask the KDE e.V. for assistance?

Back in March KDE started an outreach program to help distributions in
their KDE packaging efforts.
https://dot.kde.org/2016/03/03/announcing-kde-communitys-distribution-outreach-program

> How does this sound? Comments are welcome!
>
> --
> Regards
> Hartmut Goebel
>
> | Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |
> | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Preparing mass-packaging of 338 KDE application - how to do?
@ 2016-12-05 21:10         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-12-05 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> Back in March KDE started an outreach program to help distributions in
> their KDE packaging efforts.
> https://dot.kde.org/2016/03/03/announcing-kde-communitys-distribution-outreach-program

I think you (Hartmut) and everyone interested in KDE on GuixSD should
subscribe to the list the announcement above mentions and start asking
questions.  :-)

It’s nice of KDE to support distros like this!

Ludo’.

* Mass-packaging of 300 KDE application prepared - Help required
@ 2017-03-16 10:52 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-03-16 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello all,

as promised earlier, I prepared a repository inclusing patches for more
than 300 KDE packages. I will not have time to work on them, though.
Others will need to implement the packages based on this preperations.

The repo contains prepared guix package descriptions for more than 300
KDE packages. The idea is to take a lot of stupid work from the
shoulders of those who want to add a KDE package and automatically
prepare as much as possible.

Prepared are
- name, version, url, hash
- synopsis (two variants)
- description (two variants)
- license (needs to be verified)
- inputs and native-inputs
- store-path of the archive

The synopsis and descriptions are taken from Debian and Mageia, chosen
by what was easy to access for me.

The license is taken from Debian but needs to be rechecked. Maybe
OpenSuSE is a good place to look since they seem to have a strong focus
on this.

The inputs and native-inputs are taken from the `CMakeList.txt` file,
which I processed and mapped many known requirements to guix's package
names. For your convenience unprocessed content of the `CMakeList.txt`
file has been put into the description, so you hopefully find all
necessary information there.

The repository can be found at
<https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix-kde-package>, detailed description on
how to work with it is available ins the README there. If you have any
enhancement requests, please let me know.

(I refained from sending the patches to some mailinglist since it is
more then 880KB data and more than 300 patches).

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Mass-packaging of 300 KDE application prepared - Help required
@ 2017-03-18  9:34   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-03-18  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel transcribed 1.7K bytes:
> Hello all,
>
> as promised earlier, I prepared a repository inclusing patches for more
> than 300 KDE packages. I will not have time to work on them, though.
> Others will need to implement the packages based on this preperations.

Wow! Thanks for your work on this!

@ 2017-03-18 14:13   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-18 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Hartmut,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> as promised earlier, I prepared a repository inclusing patches for more
> than 300 KDE packages. I will not have time to work on them, though.
> Others will need to implement the packages based on this preperations.

[...]

> The repository can be found at
> <https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix-kde-package>, detailed description on
> how to work with it is available ins the README there. If you have any
> enhancement requests, please let me know.

Woow, impressive piece of work!

Thomas Danckaert is visibly interested in KDE ;-), so either Thomas or
others will cherry-pick from your repo.

Thanks for sharing!

Ludo’.

* Re: Mass-packaging of 300 KDE application prepared - Help required
@ 2017-03-18 14:21     ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2017-03-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Court??s; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 03:13:25PM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     Hi Hartmut,

     Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

     > as promised earlier, I prepared a repository inclusing patches for more
     > than 300 KDE packages. I will not have time to work on them, though.
     > Others will need to implement the packages based on this preperations.

     [...]

     > The repository can be found at
     > <https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix-kde-package>, detailed description on
     > how to work with it is available ins the README there. If you have any
     > enhancement requests, please let me know.

     Woow, impressive piece of work!

     Thomas Danckaert is visibly interested in KDE ;-), so either Thomas or
     others will cherry-pick from your repo.

I suggest that 300 packages is too much for one person to do.

So if there is going to be a joint effort at this I suggest that somehow we
decide in advance which packages are done by whom.

I'm not sure how best to divide them up, since the lower dependencies will have
to be done first.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: Mass-packaging of 300 KDE application prepared - Help required
@ 2017-03-19 16:00       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-19 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi John,

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> skribis:

> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 03:13:25PM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
>      Hi Hartmut,
>
>      Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:
>
>      > as promised earlier, I prepared a repository inclusing patches for more
>      > than 300 KDE packages. I will not have time to work on them, though.
>      > Others will need to implement the packages based on this preperations.
>
>      [...]
>
>      > The repository can be found at
>      > <https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix-kde-package>, detailed description on
>      > how to work with it is available ins the README there. If you have any
>      > enhancement requests, please let me know.
>
>      Woow, impressive piece of work!
>
>      Thomas Danckaert is visibly interested in KDE ;-), so either Thomas or
>      others will cherry-pick from your repo.
>
> I suggest that 300 packages is too much for one person to do.

Yeah you’re right; I didn’t mean to suggest that Thomas would handle all
of them.

> So if there is going to be a joint effort at this I suggest that somehow we
> decide in advance which packages are done by whom.
>
> I'm not sure how best to divide them up, since the lower dependencies will have
> to be done first.

I’m under the impression that it’s usually difficult to assign tasks to
us lazy volunteers.  ;-)

My guess is that people will incrementally pick the packages they’re
interested in from Hartmut’s repo.

We’ll see!

Ludo’.

* Re: Mass-packaging of 300 KDE application prepared - Help required
@ 2017-03-19 16:27         ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2017-03-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Court??s; +Cc: guix-devel