On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 08:59:24PM +0100, Hartmut Goebel wrote: > Hi, > > the number of packages increased to 338(!). > > The first list of 170 contained "only" the applications listed at > http://kde.org/applications. In addition there are ca. 90 packages in > download.kde.org/stable/applications and another ca. 90 in > download.kde.org/stable/ which are not listed at > http://kde.org/applications. Among these are important things like > plasma (which AFAIK is the desktop). > > Given this huge number of package, we should agree on > a) into which .scm we want to split then > b) a proceeding. > c) volunteers > > a) into which .scm we want to split then > > The packages in my list have categories like Development, Education, > Office, Plasma, System, mostly following the categories in > http://kde.org/applications (plus one or two I created). > > Guix already has kde.scm, containing a few "unsorted" packages, not even > listed are kde.org/applications. So using a file "kde-application.scm" > would not give a major benefit compared to using "kde.scm" IMHO. (The > framework is in kde-framework.scm already). > > Another idea (which I'd prefer) is to put the packages into files > following the categories above, e.g. "kde-development.scm", > "kde-edu.scm", etc. It's up to the packager to select where to put the > "unlisted" stuff. I have no preferences > > b) proceeding > > I first had the idea to avoid flooding guix-commit with 340 messages by > pushing *one* commit to "wip-kde-applications". Whoever is working on a > package would copy-and-pastes the relevant part from this branch into > his/her working-copy. But when rethinking this, this is to complicated > and may distract people from working on packages. > > So I'd follow iyzsong's suggestion and prepare 340 commits for > wip-kde-applications, where others can cherry-pick from and amending > with "git commit --amend --reset-author" (or using git gui). The commits > I prepare would already contain an appropriate draft message. > > Additionally I'd putt a lot of information into each package, e.g. > typical URLs where to look for updates, etc. This sounds like a good idea > > c) Volunteers > > Regarding synopses and descriptions, please make sure those that are > > imported are generally in line with what we do (most likely they are). > > > > Congrats on the mass import! :-) > > Thanks for the congrats, but I'm only preparing the stuff. I'm not going > to import all these packages :-) > > Does anybody have contact to KDE, KDE developers or Debian maintainers > we can ask for supporting our efforts? Esp. for the desktop services it > would be great if somebody already knowing the software could assist. > May we (Ludo?) could ask the KDE e.V. for assistance? Back in March KDE started an outreach program to help distributions in their KDE packaging efforts. https://dot.kde.org/2016/03/03/announcing-kde-communitys-distribution-outreach-program > > How does this sound? Comments are welcome! > > -- > Regards > Hartmut Goebel > > | Hartmut Goebel | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com | > | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible | > > -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted