unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Ryan Prior <ryanprior@hey.com>
To: Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz>,
	 Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl>
Cc: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution
	<guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Latest Nyxt features a GUI for Guix :)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 22:08:31 +0000	[thread overview]

On November 11, 2020, Jan Wielkiewicz
<tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> wrote:
> [web browsers are] a really poorly designed copy of
> operating systems and its utilities.
>
> [...]
>
> I just don't understand why in the web browser.
> I'll try it.

The web browser is the primary operating environment for a lot of
people. Just as Emacs users built web browsers, terminal emulators, and
mail clients on the Emacs platform, the web platform also has all those
things (including various elaborate in-browser code editors.) So I
understand this as having the exact same genesis as the Guix interface
in Emacs: people would like to manage their operating system using the
interface they spend most of their time in, and for Nyxt power users
that would be their browser. I'm not at all interested in managing my
Guix packages using Nyxt, which is highly correlated to my not being a
Nyxt power user.