unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* status of (future of) Guix QA
@ 2023-12-22 20:11 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-12-22 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Curious of the status of the future of Guix QA as package definition
contributors rely on it for updating packages (sending patches to get
accepted/committed) in guix...

* Re: status of (future of) Guix QA
@ 2023-12-26  5:44 ` Ada Stevenson
From: Ada Stevenson @ 2023-12-26  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, guix-devel

Hi,

On 12/22/23 8:11 PM, Andy Tai wrote:
> Curious of the status of the future of Guix QA as package definition
> contributors rely on it for updating packages (sending patches to get
> accepted/committed) in guix...

I'm curious too. Did anything come of the discussion a few weeks ago?

Ada (adanksa)

* Re: status of (future of) Guix QA
@ 2023-12-26 14:45   ` Jing Luo
From: Jing Luo @ 2023-12-26 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi guix,

On 2023-12-26 14:44, Ada Stevenson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/22/23 8:11 PM, Andy Tai wrote:
>> Curious of the status of the future of Guix QA as package definition
>> contributors rely on it for updating packages (sending patches to get
>> accepted/committed) in guix...
>
> I'm curious too. Did anything come of the discussion a few weeks ago?
>
> Ada (adanksa)

Here is a reminder that I offered my computing resources to host qa.guix
[1] pro bono, at least temporarily, but I was not sure what to do or how
to help.

Any update would be appreciated as well as [2].

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-12/msg00155.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-12/msg00156.html

--
Jing Luo
About me: https://jing.rocks/about/

* Re: status of (future of) Guix QA
@ 2023-12-26 20:41     ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-12-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jing Luo, guix-devel

Hi Luo Jing,

On Tue, Dec 26 2023, Jing Luo wrote:

> Here is a reminder that I offered my computing resources

Unless folks here know you already, it might be helpful to tell the list
more about what you do with that shiny and powerful equipment in your
living room. It would be an honor to get to know you better!

I have no position or authority in the project. I am merely a bystander
trying to be helpful.

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: status of (future of) Guix QA
@ 2023-12-27  5:34       ` Jing Luo
From: Jing Luo @ 2023-12-27  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 2023-12-27 05:41, Felix Lechner wrote:
> Hi Luo Jing,
>
> On Tue, Dec 26 2023, Jing Luo wrote:
>
>> Here is a reminder that I offered my computing resources
>
> Unless folks here know you already, it might be helpful to tell the
> list
> more about what you do with that shiny and powerful equipment in your
> living room. It would be an honor to get to know you better!
>
> I have no position or authority in the project. I am merely a bystander
> trying to be helpful.

Yes, you are right. And the honor is mine.

I only recently (6 months ago) joined the cause of free software
movement. My roles in the GNU project: www.gnu.org Chinese (zh-cn) and
Japanese web translator, GNU webmaster. My account name on Savannah is
"jing", which is my given name.

> that shiny and powerful equipment in your living room.

I wouldn't say shiny, they are mostly second-hand or refurbished, but
they are working really well and stable. Much of the equipment was
purchased during the mining boom when I knew nothing about free
software. When the crypto collapsed, I realized how unethical it was,
and reused/repurposed the hardware for a homelab. Now I have more than
30 VM/LXC running, for my self-hosted services and the mirror site
repo.jing.rocks [1]. I loaned 1 LXC container to a friend of mine in BC,
Canada who does scientific calculation. As a side note, my apartment is