On 2023-12-27 05:41, Felix Lechner wrote: > Hi Luo Jing, > > On Tue, Dec 26 2023, Jing Luo wrote: > >> Here is a reminder that I offered my computing resources > > Unless folks here know you already, it might be helpful to tell the > list > more about what you do with that shiny and powerful equipment in your > living room. It would be an honor to get to know you better! > > I have no position or authority in the project. I am merely a bystander > trying to be helpful. Yes, you are right. And the honor is mine. I only recently (6 months ago) joined the cause of free software movement. My roles in the GNU project: www.gnu.org Chinese (zh-cn) and Japanese web translator, GNU webmaster. My account name on Savannah is "jing", which is my given name. > that shiny and powerful equipment in your living room. I wouldn't say shiny, they are mostly second-hand or refurbished, but they are working really well and stable. Much of the equipment was purchased during the mining boom when I knew nothing about free software. When the crypto collapsed, I realized how unethical it was, and reused/repurposed the hardware for a homelab. Now I have more than 30 VM/LXC running, for my self-hosted services and the mirror site repo.jing.rocks [1]. I loaned 1 LXC container to a friend of mine in BC, Canada who does scientific calculation. As a side note, my apartment is powered by renewable energy only (so the electricity company claims), you can say I'm making amends. Also repo.jing.rocks somehow has less outages than savannah. I believe "sharing is caring". The services don't require much CPU power actually, and since I have spare storage space, I thought I could help the community I heavily rely on. The thing is that I'm still getting used to guix, and I'm struggling to know what/how to configure the system. I'm most familiar with Debian though. Now, a message for x86_amd64 kernel developers on the list, which may look like an ad: Are you suffering from long compiling time? Tired of waiting for the build to finish? I can loan a VM to you. With "make -j 200", it only takes 55 seconds to compile the kernel from scratch using the default kconfig, and 78 seconds with "make -j 128". Building GCC only takes less than 4 minutes- ("make -j 200"). Contact me for more details if you are interested. [1] https://jing.rocks/2023/09/16/the-matrix-of-repo-jing-rocks Happy hecking, -- Jing Luo About me: https://jing.rocks/about/ PGP Fingerprint: 4E09 8D19 00AA 3F72 1899 2614 09B3 316E 13A1 1EFC