unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...
@ 2002-06-27 14:14 Chris Bitmead
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-06-27 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got a chance to get Guile as the major programming language on a
major government project, but in order for it to fly with the powers
that be its got to work on Windows and Linux with GTK and Goops.

But I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to build. I'm about
ready to give up. I presume it should work but I can't even get guile of
any version to build on Windows, let alone goops or guile-gtk. On linux
I got it to work, although even then I had to spend a bit of time in
hacking mode.

Can anybody help me out or tell me if what I'm trying to do is impossible?

Or is there another Scheme that works on Linux and Windows with an OO
system and some decent gui library like GTK?

* Re: Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...
       [not found] <3D1B1DCD.7090500@bitmead.com>
@ 2002-06-28  1:49 ` Bruce Korb
       [not found] ` <3D1BC0B9.282F1F21@pacbell.net>
From: Bruce Korb @ 2002-06-28  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, guile-user

Chris Bitmead wrote:

> I've got a chance to get Guile as the major programming language on a
> major government project, but in order for it to fly with the powers
> that be its got to work on Windows and Linux with GTK and Goops.
>
> But I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to build. I'm about
> ready to give up. I presume it should work but I can't even get guile of
> any version to build on Windows, let alone goops or guile-gtk. On linux
> I got it to work, although even then I had to spend a bit of time in
> hacking mode.
>
> Can anybody help me out or tell me if what I'm trying to do is impossible?
>
> Or is there another Scheme that works on Linux and Windows with an OO
> system and some decent gui library like GTK?

It would be good for the Guile page to refer people to the
lilypond project for this.  You can do an over the net
install of CygWin + Guile.  'course, you get lilypond, too.  :-)
I have a link on my page:

  http://autogen.sourceforge.net/

@ 2002-06-28  5:51   ` Chris Bitmead
       [not found]   ` <3D1BF96A.1030101@bitmead.com>
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-06-28  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions which I will look into, including
the people who pointed me towards plt-scheme, which I will investigate.
BTW, I'm interested why the plt-scheme supporters are hanging around the
guile mailing list?

For the guile people, I think you're missing a big opportunity to supply
guile pre-built in binary form, especially on Windows where it's harder
to build. (It aint a walk in the park on Linux either). Bundle goops and
gtk into a Windows build with full Linux compatibility and I think you
have a very attractive app. Lots of people, especially governments must
have multi-platform compatibility and it is a shoe in for gnu software.
I will also look at lilypond to see if that helps.

* Re: Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...
@ 2002-06-28  8:11 Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2002-06-28  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

David Lane writes:

> ... I have gotten Guile 1.5.6 to build under Cygwin.

That's great.

> The end result is a DLL version (guile.exe is about 4K); presumably it's
> simpler to get it all statically built.

There were quite some issues building it statically, because the Guile
config and build process seems to be ill prepared for cross
compilation; it tries to run cross-compiled binaries.  Anyone working
on that, btw, or would you take a patch?

> I have a unified diff but it's about 3MB since it includes the files that
> get created by auto* (Makefile, Makefile.in, configure, etc).

I'm rather interested in that, would you send me your full patch?

Greetings,
Jan.

Btw:
  It should be real easy to exclude the autogenerated stuff, just
  do something like

     diff -purN --exclude=Makefile.in --exclude=configure ../guile.orig/ .

  and of course a 'make realclean' first in both directories.  Once
  you get it down to a reasonable size, you can post your stripped
  patch here too, if you like.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter

* Re: Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...
@ 2002-06-28 22:14 ` David Lane
From: David Lane @ 2002-06-28 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> David Lane writes:
>
> > ... I have gotten Guile 1.5.6 to build under Cygwin.
>
> That's great.
>
> > The end result is a DLL version (guile.exe is about 4K); presumably it's
> > simpler to get it all statically built.
>
> There were quite some issues building it statically, because the Guile
> config and build process seems to be ill prepared for cross
> compilation; it tries to run cross-compiled binaries.  Anyone working
> on that, btw, or would you take a patch?

I can imagine that cross-compiling would be hard, since it wants to run
guile during the build process.  You might be able to modify the
guile-preinst to point to some other working native version of guile.

I originally got a static version working, and I think the version that
comes with lilypond is static.  Being rather bullheaded and wanting shared
libraries, I pounded and tweaked on it until I got a DLL version to build.
It loads extensions dynamically fine, anyway.

> > I have a unified diff but it's about 3MB since it includes the files that
> > get created by auto* (Makefile, Makefile.in, configure, etc).
>
> I'm rather interested in that, would you send me your full patch?

Just as a warning, it doesn't build cleanly out of the box even with this
patch.  One problem (which could be patched but isn't) is the link step of
libguilereadline.la depends on ../libguile/libguile.la, which isn't built
by the libguile build.  It creates it in the ../libguile/.libs/ directory.
Another has to do with the winsock2.h include; the Makefile.in checks for
it but including it under cygwin conflicts with other network headers.
There is a similar issue with HAVE_ERRNO_H.

The autobuild.sh file came from a patch by Gerrit P. Haase on the that I
found on the lilypond wiki site.  (http://lilypond.org/wiki/?GuilePatch).
It has several items about building guile on cygwin, as does the cygwin
mailing list archive (google is your friend :-).

I think the differences in libltdl are because I copied the version from
libtool 1.4d there.  Libtool ersion 1.4.2 didn't get it to go, and I don't
recall what came with Guile.

--

David Lane               / +1 404 827 2475
CNN Enterprise Systems   / dlane@caffeine.turner.com

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM, Size: 4295 bytes --]

@ 2002-06-29  2:01     ` Christopher Cramer
       [not found]     ` <200206302346.11902.unknown_lamer@unknownlamer.org>
From: Christopher Cramer @ 2002-06-29  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 03:51:38PM +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> For the guile people, I think you're missing a big opportunity to supply
> guile pre-built in binary form, especially on Windows where it's harder
> to build. (It aint a walk in the park on Linux either). Bundle goops and
> gtk into a Windows build with full Linux compatibility and I think you
> have a very attractive app. Lots of people, especially governments must
> have multi-platform compatibility and it is a shoe in for gnu software.
> I will also look at lilypond to see if that helps.

You may have a point with Windows, but AFAIK every major Linux
distribution comes with Guile already. Of course, they mostly have
old versions, but that's another problem...

--
Christopher Cramer <crayc@pyro.net> <http://www.pyro.net/~crayc/>
On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion

@ 2002-07-01  3:46     ` Clinton Ebadi
       [not found]     ` <200206302346.11902.unknown_lamer@unknownlamer.org>
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2002-07-01  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 28 June 2002 01:51, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> For the guile people, I think you're missing a big opportunity to supply
> guile pre-built in binary form, especially on Windows where it's harder
> to build. (It aint a walk in the park on Linux either). Bundle goops and
> gtk into a Windows build with full Linux compatibility and I think you
> have a very attractive app. Lots of people, especially governments must
> have multi-platform compatibility and it is a shoe in for gnu software.
> I will also look at lilypond to see if that helps.

What? ./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --with-threads &&
make && sudo make install worked for me.

--
http://unknownlamer.org
                -- Aldous Huxley

@ 2002-07-01 23:09       ` Chris Bitmead
       [not found]       ` <3D20E140.6050003@bitmead.com>
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-07-01 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, guile-user

For guile-gtk?

@ 2002-07-02  1:13         ` Clinton Ebadi
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2002-07-02  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, guile-user

On Monday 01 July 2002 19:09, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> For guile-gtk?

Oops, I thought you meant Guile itself. Guile-Gtk won't build or run with
Guile 1.5.x ... I made some patches for it to make it work with Guile 1.7 a
while back, but they don't work with 1.7 or 1.5 anymore :(. Guile-Gobject
suffers a problem with not running (I patched this but never sent anyone the
patch...) but even after I fixed the calling-the-wrong-function-infinite-loop
bug it still won't run:

guile> (use-modules (gnome gobject))
/usr/local/share/guile/gnome/gobject.scm:109:7: While evaluating arguments to
gtype-eq? in expression (gtype-eq? type gtype:gflags):
/usr/local/share/guile/gnome/gobject.scm:109:7: Unbound variable: gtype:gflags
ABORT: (unbound-variable)

None of the gtype: variables are being defined and I can't tell where they are
supposed to be defined (generated automatically? Explicitly defined
somewhere? Ack).

--
http://unknownlamer.org
                -- Aldous Huxley

* Re: Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...
@ 2002-07-02 14:41           ` Chris Bitmead
       [not found]           ` <3D21BBB0.6000302@bitmead.com>
       [not found]           ` <5.0.2.1.2.20020702112242.00b16ad0@zima.bbn.com>
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-07-02 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, just checked out PLT-Scheme. The Gui is so limited it doesn't even
have something like a grid or table widget. And for this app it's very
visual I need a pretty good set of widgets, including some kind of grid.
And the OO system looks more awful to me the longer I look at it, but I
guess I could live with it if the gui was ok.

Is there any scheme out there with some decent cross-platform gui
support, and works on at least Windows and Unix, preferably Mac too? Am
I asking so much?

@ 2002-07-02 15:29             ` Ken Anderson
From: Ken Anderson @ 2002-07-02 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Timothy Hickey

At 10:41 AM 7/2/2002, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>Hmm, just checked out PLT-Scheme. The Gui is so limited it doesn't even
>have something like a grid or table widget. And for this app it's very
>visual I need a pretty good set of widgets, including some kind of grid.
>And the OO system looks more awful to me the longer I look at it, but I
>guess I could live with it if the gui was ok.
>
>Is there any scheme out there with some decent cross-platform gui support,
>and works on at least Windows and Unix, preferably Mac too? Am I asking so
>much?
Not at all.  There are several Schemes implemented in Java that should let
you do portable gui development easily.  Here are 3:

http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/
http://jscheme.sourceforge.net/jscheme/mainwebpage.html
http://sisc.sourceforge.net/

I use Jscheme.

@ 2002-07-03 12:47             ` Chris Bitmead
       [not found]             ` <3D22F264.9010502@bitmead.com>
       [not found]             ` <5.0.2.1.2.20020703085953.026d4b80@zima.bbn.com>
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-07-03 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, guile-user, Timothy Hickey

Yeah, ok well they should be considered. But jscheme is an interpreter
within an interpreter == unnecessarily slow. None of them technically
are Scheme (no call/cc, blurry picture on full tail calls etc). Kawa's
type system makes it rather inconvenient to use Java libraries like
Swing (strings in kawa are not strings in java etc). Neither have built
in a nice CLOS-ish object system which makes life worth living.

Let me put it this way: Is Full-Scheme-Language+CLOS+portable convenient
gui on Windows+Linux too much to ask?

@ 2002-07-03 13:27               ` Ken Anderson
       [not found]               ` <3D25FFB4.9060500@bothner.com>
From: Ken Anderson @ 2002-07-03 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, guile-user, Timothy Hickey

At 08:47 AM 7/3/2002, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>Yeah, ok well they should be considered. But jscheme is an interpreter
>within an interpreter == unnecessarily slow. None of them technically are
>Scheme (no

I think you'll find the performance of modern Java's, such as 1.3 or 1.4
very acceptable.  When using Jscheme to do Swing GUI's you don't notice any
performance difference because Jscheme is just assembling Swing components
and Java is doing most of the work.

>call/cc, blurry picture on full tail calls etc). Kawa's type system makes
>it rather inconvenient to use Java libraries like Swing (strings in kawa
>are not strings in java etc). Neither have built in a nice CLOS-ish object
>system which makes life worth living.
>
>Let me put it this way: Is Full-Scheme-Language+CLOS+portable convenient
>gui on Windows+Linux too much to ask?

SISC is a full scheme.  It shouldn't be hard to add a Scheme Swing library
like Jscheme's JLIB.

Jscheme has chosen to stay close to Java, so integrating Scheme and Java is
fairly painless.  It does handle tail recursion.  While it does not have a
CLOS object system, it has multimethods and you can define Java classes in
Scheme.

To do a CLOS in a Scheme built on top of Java you need to decide how the
CLOS and Java objects interact.  For example, in Jython, Jython classes
look to Java like java classes.  However, there semantics are slightly
different which can get confusing.  I'll have to think about how one might
do CLOS in java some more.

@ 2002-07-03 14:10               ` Chris Bitmead
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-07-03 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, guile-user, Timothy Hickey

> I think you'll find the performance of modern Java's, such as 1.3 or
> 1.4 very acceptable.  When using Jscheme to do Swing GUI's you don't
> notice any performance difference because Jscheme is just assembling
> Swing components and Java is doing most of the work.

I'm not worried about the gui, I'm worried about the actions of the gui.
The app I want to do may have to do some manipulating and
transformations of largish files.

>> call/cc, blurry picture on full tail calls etc). Kawa's type system
>> makes it rather inconvenient to use Java libraries like Swing
>> (strings in kawa are not strings in java etc). Neither have built in
>> a nice CLOS-ish object system which makes life worth living.
>>
>> Let me put it this way: Is Full-Scheme-Language+CLOS+portable
>> convenient gui on Windows+Linux too much to ask?
>

> SISC is a full scheme.

Ok, I didn't know about SISC. I'm impressed that it supports full r5rs.
I'm disappointed that the penalty of using Java and supporting tail
calls is that the benchmarks take 2.5 times as long to run as kawa. (and
jscheme is twice as slow again). And the option to compile Kawa to
native and get about 10x the performance is hard to resist keeping as an
option in reserve, as I presume you can do with Hobbit for guile. It's
hard to throw away that option up front without knowing how much you
will need that performance down the track.

> It shouldn't be hard to add a Scheme Swing library like Jscheme's JLIB.

Well Jscheme supports some fancy syntax for interfacing with Java so I
would have thought JLIB would be a bit of a job to port.

> Jscheme has chosen to stay close to Java, so integrating Scheme and
> Java is fairly painless.  It does handle tail recursion.

I have got a suspician it only handles "obvious" tail calls, but I'm
happy to be proved wrong.

> While it does not have a CLOS object system, it has multimethods and
> you can define Java classes in Scheme.
>
> To do a CLOS in a Scheme built on top of Java you need to decide how
> the CLOS and Java objects interact.  For example, in Jython, Jython
> classes look to Java like java classes.  However, there semantics are
> slightly different which can get confusing.  I'll have to think about
> how one might do CLOS in java some more.

Well, just having CLOS would probably be ok with me, even if that aspect
doesn't interact particularly with Java objects.

@ 2002-07-05 20:21               ` Per Bothner
       [not found]               ` <3D25FFB4.9060500@bothner.com>
From: Per Bothner @ 2002-07-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ken Anderson, guile-devel, guile-user, Timothy Hickey

Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Yeah, ok well they should be considered. But jscheme is an interpreter
> within an interpreter == unnecessarily slow. None of them technically
> are Scheme (no call/cc, blurry picture on full tail calls etc).

I'm curious what you actually want to have full call/cc for - except as
a "check-off (completeness) item.

> Kawa's type system makes it rather inconvenient to use Java libraries
> like Swing (strings in kawa are not strings in java etc).

Make up your mind :  Do you want complete Scheme?  If so you can't have
strings in Kawa be strings in Java,
because the latter as immutable.

However, Kawa does automatically and conveniently convert from Scheme
strings to Java strings.
That's the best you can get if you want Scheme strings to be modifiable.

> Neither have built in a nice CLOS-ish object system which makes life
> worth living.

Kawa has a nice builtin CLOS-ish object system - but but it does need
work!  The design is
quite nice, though.

@ 2002-07-06  2:30                 ` Chris Bitmead
       [not found]                 ` <3D265661.9030201@bitmead.com>
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-07-06  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ken Anderson, guile-devel, guile-user, Timothy Hickey

>> Yeah, ok well they should be considered. But jscheme is an
>> interpreter within an interpreter == unnecessarily slow. None of them
>> technically are Scheme (no call/cc, blurry picture on full tail calls
>> etc).
>

> I'm curious what you actually want to have full call/cc for - except
> as a "check-off (completeness) item.

As far as I know, I don't. Does anyone know prior to starting a project
if it is needed? Also, what if I pull in an external library that uses
it? Ok, I'm not quite experienced enough in Scheme to know how likely
that is.

>> Kawa's type system makes it rather inconvenient to use Java libraries
>> like Swing (strings in kawa are not strings in java etc).
>

> Make up your mind :  Do you want complete Scheme?  If so you can't
> have strings in Kawa be strings in Java,
> because the latter as immutable.

I guess my point was, it would be nice if there is a complete Scheme
with access to a good gui with a convenient API. Whether that may be a
non-Java solution, or say a Java solution where somebody "wraps" up the
Swing APIs with a Scheme sympathetic solution, converting types where
necessary.

> However, Kawa does automatically and conveniently convert from Scheme
> strings to Java strings.
> That's the best you can get if you want Scheme strings to be modifiable.

I can't seem to see that in the documentation.

@ 2002-07-06 22:11                   ` Ken Anderson
From: Ken Anderson @ 2002-07-06 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, guile-user, Timothy Hickey

At 10:30 PM 7/5/2002, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>>>Yeah, ok well they should be considered. But jscheme is an interpreter
>>>within an interpreter == unnecessarily slow. None of them technically
>>>are Scheme (no call/cc, blurry picture on full tail calls etc).
>>

>>I'm curious what you actually want to have full call/cc for - except as a
>>"check-off (completeness) item.
>

>As far as I know, I don't. Does anyone know prior to starting a project if
>it is needed? Also, what if I pull in an external library that uses it?
>Ok, I'm not quite experienced enough in Scheme to know how likely that is.

I'm a beginner too, having only done Scheme for the past 4.5 years.  To
make it worse, my scheme never had call/cc, so i never learned how to take
advantage of it. My current belief is that if your Scheme has full call/cc,
you just use it.  If it doesn't, you make do without it, because that's
what you do in any language that's missing the feature you want.

Dick Gabriel made a comment about Scheme once, that suggested to me that
without call/cc Scheme is relatively easy to implement in languages like C
and Java.  Requiring call/cc is an extra step in language
implementation.  Probably a step as least as large as requiring
GC.  Perhaps we are currently more willing to live without call/cc than we
are about living without GC.

We need to provide good examples of using call/cc, so that future
implementations will be more willing to provide it.

@ 2002-07-07 15:35                   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2002-07-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ken Anderson, guile-devel, guile-user, Timothy Hickey

Chris Bitmead wrote:

>> However, Kawa does automatically and conveniently convert from Scheme
>> strings to Java strings.
>> That's the best you can get if you want Scheme strings to be modifiable.
>
> I can't seem to see that in the documentation.

Just try it.  Perhaps it should be documented somewhere, but I'm not
sure where.
It  may be implicit in the documentation of iboke, invoke-static, and
the "Types" chapter,
including the documentation of <String> (with initial captial).

>> Kawa has a nice builtin CLOS-ish object system - but but it does need
>> work!  The design is
>> quite nice, though.
>

> I can't seem to see that in the documentation.

It's in this section:

> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Defining-new-classes.html

CLOS-style methods are still unsupported, though the core fraedmwork is
sort-of there, though not
implemented all that well.  (This ties in with the Scheme calling
convention.)
See also the make-procedure function.

* Re: Guile and MS-Windows on Major Govt. Project...
@ 2002-07-08 21:53                     ` Christopher Cramer
From: Christopher Cramer @ 2002-07-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 06:11:46PM -0400, Ken Anderson wrote:
> My current belief is that if your Scheme has full call/cc, you just
> use it. If it doesn't, you make do without it, because that's what you
> do in any language that's missing the feature you want.

I've been using Guile for years now, but I've never used call/cc except
when I really tried to see if I could use it. I'm convinced that it's
not nearly as useful as most people seem to think. Sometimes I wonder
if the simple fact that call/cc is so difficult to implement efficiently
justifies its removal from Scheme.

call/cc to me is sort of like operator overloading in C++. It's neat, but
have you ever tried to understand code that used it extensively?