unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-a.1 available for testing!
@ 2022-12-13 20:37 David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2022-12-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, guile-devel

Hello Guilers,

The first alpha release of the upcoming 0.8.0 release is now available
for testing:

	Tarball and a GPG detached signature [*]:

		http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/g-golf/g-golf-0.8.0-a.1.tar.gz
		http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/g-golf/g-golf-0.8.0-a.1.tar.gz.sig

	Dependencies and complete installation instructions are given
	in the distributed INSTALL file, or here:

		https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/install.html

You can help by:

  1. Testing by installing from the tarball, or from the source if you
  prefer, on the distro of your choice.

  2. By running the distributed examples.

Ultimately, one of the best way to test, and participate, is to select
G-Golf to develop the next application of your dream! Here is an
overview of the GNOME platform libraries [1], accessible using G-Golf.
In particular, libadwaita [2] provides a number of widgets that change
their layout based on the available space. This can be used to make
applications adapt their UI between desktop and mobile devices.

Contact [3]

Before you email, or bug report, you could join us on irc, and ping
me there: be patient, I also need to eat, sleep, rest ... but I always
answer, and this my preferred way to quickly interact and fix potential
G-Golf problem(s).

On irc, we chat :), so please do not write code snipsets there unless 2
or 3 lines of code, nor error messages of course - for more then 2 or 3
lines of code, or error messages, always use a tor-friendly paste
service (avoid those that tracks us an require javascript, thanks!)

However, if you prefer:

	G-Golf uses Guile's mailing lists
	Report bugs to bug-g-golf@gnu.org

Thanks!
David

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
    .sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig
    file and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

	gpg --verify g-golf-0.8.0-a.1.tar.gz

    If that command fails because you don't have the required public
    key, then run this command to import it:

	gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys A3057AD7

    and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/documentation/introduction/overview/libraries.html
[2] https://gnome.pages.gitlab.gnome.org/libadwaita/doc/main/
[3] https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/contact.html

* Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-a.1 available for testing!
@ 2022-12-14 12:55 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-12-14 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Great! Thanks for working on this, David.

On Tuesday, December 13th, 2022 at 20:37, David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> wrote:

> Ultimately, one of the best way to test, and participate, is to select
> G-Golf to develop the next application of your dream!

I'll definitively try it out in one of my projects.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-a.1 available for testing!
@ 2022-12-16 23:50 ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2022-12-16 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Great! Thank you David!

I was able to add g-golf to Guile Homebrew. So it now runs on macOS (see
images here [1]). I had to do a couple of changes, see line 33, 34, 35 and
also two simple patches at the end of:

https://github.com/aconchillo/homebrew-guile/blob/master/Formula/g-golf.rb

The changes are:

- We need the full path of glib, gobject, etc. They are not always in
/usr/lib. For example, guile-gcrypt solves this by specifying
--with-libgcrypt-prefix and we can point to /opt/homebrew/ for example.
That's what those inreplace lines do.

- The configure.ac patch fixes SITEDIR and SITECACHEDIR when
--with-guile-site=no. Btw, this is also the case for guile-lib (has the
same code). I believe the right paths should be:

SITEDIR="$datadir/guile/site/$GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION";
SITECCACHEDIR="$libdir/guile/$GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION/site-ccache";

- The Makefile.am patch places libg-golf in the Guile extensions directory
$(libdir)/guile/$(GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION)/extensions, which I believe is
the right thing to do.

I hope this helps. If all this makes sense I can send patches.

Best,

Aleix

[1] https://emacs.ch/@aconchillo/109519735429741042

@ 2023-03-25  4:18   ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2023-03-25  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Hello Aleix,

	I am sorry it took me so long to answer.

> I was able to add g-golf to Guile Homebrew. So it now runs on macOS

> The changes are:
>
> - We need the full path of glib, gobject, etc.

Certainly not, never ever :) - This is a distro thing, Upstream gnu
tool chained pkg(s) should never ever do that.

> - The configure.ac patch fixes SITEDIR and SITECACHEDIR when
> --with-guile-site=no ...

No,
Exactly the opposite, that is, their setting is correct, both in
g-golf, guile-lib and guile-cv fwiw

	when a user does not configure passing the --with-guile-site=yes
	then _nothing_, nor the pkg scm modules, nor the .go files, nor
	any lib should be installed in the 'guile installed dirs'

> - The Makefile.am patch places libg-golf in the Guile extensions
> directory $(libdir)/guile/$(GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION)/extensions,
> which I believe is the right thing to do.

	you mean the libg-golf/Makefile.am i guess

	[ and you probably don't mean
	[ $(libdir)/guile/$(GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION)/extensions
	[ but GUILE_EXTENSION (provided by guile.m4

I agree with you that when a g-golf user calls configure passing the
--with-guile-site=yes, then libg-golf could be installed in
GUILE_EXTENSION dir.

Cheers,
David

If not, then the current- g-golf setting is correct

* Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-a.1 available for testing!
@ 2023-04-30  4:18     ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2023-04-30  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel