* What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2016-02-22 15:08 Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2016-02-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi,

In january there was a thread here about Guildhall with the notion

> I encourage you to hack on Guildhall to make it more usable for your
> needs.

I finished my PhD last month, so I have some freed-up time — and I would
like to use some of it to hack on Guildhall and make it ready for
inclusion in Guile.

However there’s one stumbling block: I don’t see what’s actually missing
from it. So I want to be bold and request something:

Please tell me what’s missing in Guildhall, so I can implement it.

Best wishes,
Arne

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2016-01/msg00010.html

PS: I write now, because I just stumbled over a situation again, where
    I’d have loved to just have guildhall at hand by default. I wanted
    to test uptop.scm which needs guile-ssh, so I just wanted to quickly
    get guile-ssh and run the script. Yes, guix can do that. But the
    guix daemons weren’t running.

From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2016-02-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi,

In january there was a thread here about Guildhall with the notion

> I encourage you to hack on Guildhall to make it more usable for your
> needs.

I finished my PhD last month, so I have some freed-up time — and I would
like to use some of it to hack on Guildhall and make it ready for
inclusion in Guile.

However there’s one stumbling block: I don’t see what’s actually missing
from it. So I want to be bold and request something:

Please tell me what’s missing in Guildhall, so I can implement it.

Best wishes,
Arne

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2016-01/msg00010.html

PS: I write now, because I just stumbled over a situation again, where
    I’d have loved to just have guildhall at hand by default. I wanted
    to test uptop.scm which needs guile-ssh, so I just wanted to quickly
    get guile-ssh and run the script. Yes, guix can do that. But the
    guix daemons weren’t running.

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2016-02-22 17:57 ` Nala Ginrut
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2016-02-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-devel

IMO, at least we need a convenient way to add new packages.
Of course we may send mail to an official maintainer, but it's not good
experience because folks do the work part time, most of the time they
are busy.

I may anticipate the packages amount for Guile would be increasing if we
done it properly.

And I believe we need a critical feature for "guild list-packages" to
show the actual module path, say, if I installed "rbtree" module, I
don't know how should I load it. I've tried (use-modules (rbtree)) and
(use-modules (rbtree rbtree)) but failed. It's better to show it's
module path in the information.

It's unreasonable to force users to download and read the src.

I think this feature could be put either "list-packages" or "show"
command.

Best regards.

@ 2016-02-22 18:17 ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-02-22 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-devel

Arne Babenhauserheide writes:

> Hi,
>
> In january there was a thread here about Guildhall with the notion
>
>> I encourage you to hack on Guildhall to make it more usable for your
>> needs.
>
> I finished my PhD last month, so I have some freed-up time — and I would
> like to use some of it to hack on Guildhall and make it ready for
> inclusion in Guile.
>
> However there’s one stumbling block: I don’t see what’s actually missing
> from it. So I want to be bold and request something:
>

> Please tell me what’s missing in Guildhall, so I can implement it.
>

> Best wishes,
> Arne
>
> [1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2016-01/msg00010.html
>
> PS: I write now, because I just stumbled over a situation again, where
>     I’d have loved to just have guildhall at hand by default. I wanted
>     to test uptop.scm which needs guile-ssh, so I just wanted to quickly
>     get guile-ssh and run the script. Yes, guix can do that. But the
>     guix daemons weren’t running.

I've never run it so it's hard for me to know.  The "obvious" idea might
be to get a Guix package of Guildhall so more of us might play with it? ;)

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2016-02-22 19:18 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2016-02-22 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-devel

Arne Babenhauserheide writes:

> Please tell me what’s missing in Guildhall, so I can implement it.

I would like every interesting Guile package as it is right now either
in Guildhall or packaged with Guile core.

Most notably, I would very much like to have something like the
functionality of (os process) / (run-with-pipe) in Guile itself.

Also, I think that Guix has some nice functions that would be
great to have split-off into a Guildhall package, e.g. substitute*
and others in guix/build/utils.scm.

Greetings, Jan

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-22 20:26 ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-02-22 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi Arne!

> Hi,
>
> In january there was a thread here about Guildhall with the notion
>
> > I encourage you to hack on Guildhall to make it more usable for your
> > needs.
>
> I finished my PhD last month, so I have some freed-up time — and I would
> like to use some of it to hack on Guildhall and make it ready for
> inclusion in Guile.
>
> However there’s one stumbling block: I don’t see what’s actually missing
> from it. So I want to be bold and request something:
>

> Please tell me what’s missing in Guildhall, so I can implement it.

I'm glad that you wrote about this topic.
I admit that I haven't used neither Guildhall nor Guix, but from what I've
seen in other languages, I think that while perhaps some packages depend on
additional toolchains, I think this doesn't concern the pure Guile/Scheme
modules, it is absolutely sane to have a "language-specific package
manager".
I think that perhaps it would need to focus on community -- I would like to
have a place where I could keep my modules easily for me and other people
to use -- similarly to github, but focused specifically on Guile/Scheme. I

I think it would be awesome if there were some statistics concerning the
popularity of modules, as well as an on-site possibility to report bugs and
surprising behaviors.

Another thing that I believe would be cool is if there was absolutely no
need to install the packages -- that the invocation of (use-modules) would
fetch them (with dependencies) from the remote server (and verified as
needed).

A controversial thing is whether to use the Guile module system or R6RS. I
personally don't like the latter too much, but perhaps it is a question of
integrating it nicely with Emacs (after all, it would be a big win for the
whole Scheme community if the package manager could be ported to other
implementations, and the packages could be shared -- as in the case of SNOW
packages[1])

Best regards,
Panicz

[1] http://snow.iro.umontreal.ca/

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2016-02-23 16:57   ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2016-02-23 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: Arne Babenhauserheide, guile-devel

So, to summarize the things I can change:

- Add the path to the installed package in guild show <package> or list-packages
- Add a dynamical site as repository
- Package guix features
- Package guildhall in guix

And things I can’t change easily:
- Package many packages (I hope a site with easy uploads could change that)
- Add dynamically fetched packages (I’m not sure how to do that right —
  or whether I actually want to do it, given that this means executing
  code which is downloaded at runtime…)

Requirements for a guildhall website:
- easy upload (like marmalade?)
- download statistics
- bug reporting possible (maybe a link to a bugtracker?)

Did I miss something?

Nala Ginrut writes:
> I may anticipate the packages amount for Guile would be increasing if we
> done it properly.

I’d think so, too.

@ 2016-02-23 22:50     ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2016-02-23 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-devel

> - Add the path to the installed package in guild show <package> or list-packages
First experience: It takes quite some time to get into guildhall — much
longer than I expected. I spend most of the time finding out how to
extract information from its datastructures.

Best wishes,
Arne

--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2016-03-23 19:32       ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2016-03-23 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-devel

Arne Babenhauserheide writes:

>> - Add the path to the installed package in guild show <package> or list-packages
> First experience: It takes quite some time to get into guildhall — much
> longer than I expected. I spend most of the time finding out how to
> extract information from its datastructures.

I now filed three pull requests: One for better documentation (25), one
for showing the destination in show (24) — not yet perfect, but a start
— and one where I started experimenting with a new command (26).

https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pulls
https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pull/24
https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pull/25
https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pull/26

I’m not really fast, but it’s moving forward :)

Best wishes,
Arne

--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2016-03-23 22:54         ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-03-23 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-devel

Arne Babenhauserheide writes:

> Arne Babenhauserheide writes:
>
>>> - Add the path to the installed package in guild show <package> or list-packages
>> First experience: It takes quite some time to get into guildhall — much
>> longer than I expected. I spend most of the time finding out how to
>> extract information from its datastructures.
>
> I now filed three pull requests: One for better documentation (25), one
> for showing the destination in show (24) — not yet perfect, but a start
> — and one where I started experimenting with a new command (26).
>
> https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pulls
> https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pull/24
> https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pull/25
> https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/pull/26
>
> I’m not really fast, but it’s moving forward :)
>
> Best wishes,
> Arne

Great!

I am still hopeful that Ian Price might return; I miss his
contributions!  If he doesn't though, maybe the repository needs to be
forked somewhere...

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2017-03-01 19:35     ` Amirouche
From: Amirouche @ 2017-03-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Le 23/02/2016 à 17:57, Arne Babenhauserheide a écrit :
> So, to summarize the things I can change:
>
> - Add the path to the installed package in guild show <package> or list-packages
> - Add a dynamical site as repository
> - Package guix features
> - Package guildhall in guix
>
> And things I can’t change easily:
> - Package many packages (I hope a site with easy uploads could change that)
> - Add dynamically fetched packages (I’m not sure how to do that right —
>    or whether I actually want to do it, given that this means executing
>    code which is downloaded at runtime…)
>
> Requirements for a guildhall website:
> - easy upload (like marmalade?)

What do you mean by easy?
> - download statistics
This doesn't necessarly mean that the website is not static. I am
wondering what's best:

- static website
- interactive stuff à la github
> - bug reporting possible (maybe a link to a bugtracker?)
I had that in my todo actually! But I'd like to know more
about how debbugs works to make. Basically outside email
  navigation what make debuggs a crazy good bugtracker.
> Did I miss something?

A Question/Answer system, a pastebin and a search engine :)

> Nala Ginrut writes:
>> I may anticipate the packages amount for Guile would be increasing if we
>> done it properly.
> I’d think so, too.
Me too. Really! I think I need to scratch un itch and actually succesfully
contribute something useful... maybe... I will remix my culturia web stuff
into a guildhall website. That said I have an issue with registration/login
stuff anything related with setting cookies I don't find a good abstraction,
for it.

I keep you posted.

@ 2017-03-01 20:34       ` Amirouche
From: Amirouche @ 2017-03-01 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Le 01/03/2017 à 20:35, Amirouche a écrit :
> Le 23/02/2016 à 17:57, Arne Babenhauserheide a écrit :
> That said I have an issue with registration/login
> stuff anything related with setting cookies I don't find a good
> abstraction,
> for it.
>
> I keep you posted.

So I found a solution that satisfy me. Here is it:

(define (pair->set-cookie item)
   `(Set-Cookie . ,(string-append (symbol->string (car item))
                                  "="
                                  (cadr item))))

(define (sxml->set-cookies sxml)
   (match sxml
     ((('doctype doctype)
       ('html ('@ . options) . rest))
       (map pair->set-cookie options))
      (_ '())))

(define (sxml->response sxml)
   (let ((set-cookies (sxml->set-cookies sxml)))
     (values `((content-type . (text/html)) ,@set-cookies)
               (lambda (port)
                 (sxml->html sxml port)))))

;;; handler

(define (handler request body)
   (sxml->response `((doctype "html")
                     (html
                      (body "echo")))))

(format #t "Héllo! Go to http://localhost:8080\n")
   (run-server handler))

amz3

* Re: What is needed in guildhall to include it in Guile?
@ 2017-03-03 23:05     ` Amirouche
From: Amirouche @ 2017-03-03 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Le 23/02/2016 à 17:57, Arne Babenhauserheide a écrit :
> So, to summarize the things I can change:
>
> - Add the path to the installed package in guild show <package> or list-packages
> - Add a dynamical site as repository
> - Package guix features
> - Package guildhall in guix
>
> And things I can’t change easily:
> - Package many packages (I hope a site with easy uploads could change that)
> - Add dynamically fetched packages (I’m not sure how to do that right —
>    or whether I actually want to do it, given that this means executing
>    code which is downloaded at runtime…)
>
> Requirements for a guildhall website:
> - easy upload (like marmalade?)
> - download statistics
> - bug reporting possible (maybe a link to a bugtracker?)
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Nala Ginrut writes:
>> I may anticipate the packages amount for Guile would be increasing if we
>> done it properly.
> I’d think so, too.

So do I.

So I started something it's live at http://guildhall.hypermove.net/

Becarful no https.

The code is the guildhall branch of culturia.one at
https://framagit.org/a-guile-mind/culturia.one/blob/guildhall/src/webui.scm

I think the interesting code If you want to create a web application is
all summed up in this file. microkanren-fu might be required.

I changed the way the run-server handler works, see:

https://framagit.org/a-guile-mind/culturia.one/blob/guildhall/src/webui.scm#L859

The context variable only contains GET and POST assocs which contains
what is parsed from the request object. Both request and context are
passed to the view.

It's missing a lot. I hope it's a good looking web interface to make
guile more attractive.

I will look how to interface with guildhall.