all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-20  2:42 Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-20  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
needed to modify?

Thanks.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-20  6:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-20  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G, Corwin Brust; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:42:51 -0600
>
> Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
> as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
> can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
> needed to modify?

I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
Windows binaries.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-21 22:00   ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-04-21 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Elijah G, emacs-devel

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 1:22 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:42:51 -0600
> >
> > Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
> > as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
> > can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
> > needed to modify?
>
> I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
> Windows binaries.

Hi Elijah!

The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.

I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci

Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
improving things.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-21 22:38     ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-21 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 4:00 PM Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 1:22 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:42:51 -0600
> > >
> > > Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
> > > as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
> > > can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
> > > needed to modify?
> >
> > I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
> > Windows binaries.
> >

> Hi Elijah!
>
> The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
> admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
> emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.
>
> I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
> builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
> I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
> programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci
>
> Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
> improving things.

Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
while loading icon from
"emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
be?

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-22  0:04       ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-22  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 4:38 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
> > > Windows binaries.
> > >

> > Hi Elijah!
> >
> > The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
> > admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
> > emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.
> >
> > I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
> > builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
> > I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
> > programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci
> >
> > Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
> > improving things.
>
> Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
> installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
> while loading icon from
> "emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
> pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
> be?

I think I found the error, it's because build-zips.sh was executing in "C:\",
i'm planning to add images/banners for the installer because the
default is stretched and
other stuff, i'm not sure if I should send the patch in this thread or
create another.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-22  2:13         ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-04-22  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 7:04 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 4:38 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Elijah!
> > >
> > > The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
> > > admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
> > > emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.
> > >
> > > I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
> > > builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
> > > I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
> > > programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci
> > >
> > > Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
> > > improving things.
> >
> > Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
> > installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
> > while loading icon from
> > "emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
> > pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
> > be?
>
> I think I found the error, it's because build-zips.sh was executing in "C:\",
> i'm planning to add images/banners for the installer because the
> default is stretched and
> other stuff, i'm not sure if I should send the patch in this thread or
> create another.

I think you are correct - build-zips.sh wants to be run from a folder
containing your newly built Emacs (or maybe one level up from that;
I'm not using it much at present; I run the installer directly).

Once you have a patch ready to send please use the `report-emacs-bug'
command and attach your patch, which will open a new bug report for us
to discuss these "beautification" changes (which will be much
appreciated).  I'm not sure it matters a great deal in the case of
these few files, but we most often work in terms of separate bugs for
specific finite changes, while using this list to discuss what bugs to
open and otherwise align on approaches to take when the given subject
may lead to more sweeping change, as best I understand regarding Emacs
development more generally.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-23  1:45           ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-23  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 8:13 PM Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 7:04 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
> > > installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
> > > while loading icon from
> > > "emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
> > > pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
> > > be?
> >
> > I think I found the error, it's because build-zips.sh was executing in "C:\",
> > i'm planning to add images/banners for the installer because the
> > default is stretched and
> > other stuff, i'm not sure if I should send the patch in this thread or
> > create another.
> >

> I think you are correct - build-zips.sh wants to be run from a folder
> containing your newly built Emacs (or maybe one level up from that;
> I'm not using it much at present; I run the installer directly).
>
> Once you have a patch ready to send please use the `report-emacs-bug'
> command and attach your patch, which will open a new bug report for us
> to discuss these "beautification" changes (which will be much
> appreciated).  I'm not sure it matters a great deal in the case of
> these few files, but we most often work in terms of separate bugs for
> specific finite changes, while using this list to discuss what bugs to
> open and otherwise align on approaches to take when the given subject
> may lead to more sweeping change, as best I understand regarding Emacs
> development more generally.

Thank you, I've now sent my patch to bug-gnu-emacs.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-23 15:35             ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-04-23 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 8:45 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, I've now sent my patch to bug-gnu-emacs.

I see it -- bug#70538.

Was caught in the SPAM trap, now released.  I will look/try as soon as
I can.  Thanks again!

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-23 15:43               ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-23 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Thank you,  now i know why i couldn't see
my message in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/,
i had to resend it again sorry.