all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-21 23:17 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2021-07-21 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?  For instance,
if I didn't want to use the mouse, could I setup a key to minimize Emacs?
--
David Masterson

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-21 23:35 ` Arthur Miller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-21 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?  For instance,
> if I didn't want to use the mouse, could I setup a key to minimize Emacs?

Don't almost any window manager has some way of doing this via a
shortcut. Inclusive those used by Windows and MacOS?

If you really have to do it from withing Emacs, you could call external
app like xdotool (if you are using gnu/linux):

M-! xdotool getactivewindow windowminimize
or
M-! xdotool search --onlyvisible --classname --sync emacs windowminimize

You could wrap that in an interactive command and call it form M-x if
you prefer.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-21 23:48 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-21 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson wrote:

> Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?

You mean, not using shell tools? If shell tools are OK then
you can feed it to this for example and hold your thumbs -

#! /bin/zsh

hide-win () {
    local win=$1
    wmctrl -r $win -b toggle,hidden
} # [1]

- but ...

> For instance, if I didn't want to use the mouse, could
> I setup a key to minimize Emacs?

... you can, but isn't it better to do this on the window
manager level?

What WM do you use?

For example, I use openbsd-cwm so I would do

bind-key   M-h   window-hide

in the config file [2], then do C-r which is

bind-key   C-r   restart

and try it :)

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/wm
[2] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.cwmrc

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22  0:09   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

>> Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?
>> For instance, if I didn't want to use the mouse, could
>> I setup a key to minimize Emacs?
>
> Don't almost any window manager has some way of doing this
> via a shortcut

Maybe not, if you (the OP) are on a Debian system or fork,

  $ sudo apt-get --install-suggests install cwm picom

then in ~/.xinitrc, last

  picom &
  openbsd-cwm &
  xterm # or your prefered X terminal emulator
        # or whatever software you want to start

(picom makes it faster to iterate windows, it is really
noticeable so take that extra step to level up even further)

An example cwm configuration file:

# this file:
#   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.cwmrc
#   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.cwmrc

color activeborder black

unbind-key all

bind-key   M-p   window-rcycle
bind-key   M-n   window-cycle

bind-key   C-r   restart

bind-key   M-j   "chvt 5"
bind-key   M-l   "chvt 1"
bind-key   M-e   "chvt 1"

(You need to do 'chmod +s /bin/chvt' for the last three lines
to work, I think. Unrelated comment added for completeness!
But note the "shell command syntax" and the
window-manager-made-up-command syntax - see man pages
openbsd-cwm(1) and cwmrc(5))

--

@ 2021-07-22  0:16 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2021-07-22  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?  For
> instance, if I didn't want to use the mouse, could I setup a key to
> minimize Emacs?

`iconify-frame'?

With some minimal setup it's possible to use Emacs in X even without any
window manager.  You then need to have the key bindings ready to
position and remove frames and such stuff.

Controlling a window manager is a different thing.  Depends on the
window manager then.  Using xdotool or such things is probably easier.
One can do a lot of things when one has a lot of time...

There is also an "Emacs X Window Manager" called "EXWM" - my
distribution tells:

EXWM (Emacs X Window Manager) is a full-featured tiling X window
manager for Emacs built on top of XELB. It features:

* Fully keyboard-driven operations
* Hybrid layout modes (tiling & stacking)
* Dynamic workspace support
* ICCCM/EWMH compliance
* (Optional) RandR (multi-monitor) support
* (Optional) Builtin system tray
* (Optional) Builtin input method
Homepage: https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm

I've never tried it since I don't like tiling WMs.

Also a WM written in Haskell exists, I guess this one would be
controllable with Emacs, too.  Or maybe ratpoison, the WM with "no
rodent dependence".

Since I use Emacs for most tasks anyway, I must say that I don't care
that much about rodent...usage, maybe others want to share their
experience.

Michael.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-07-22  0:18 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2021-07-22  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?  For instance,
> if I didn't want to use the mouse, could I setup a key to minimize Emacs?

For minimizing (iconifying) see the `iconify-frame' command and then the
"Frames" Info node on the Elisp manual for the whole lot of
possibilities.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22  0:35   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> With some minimal setup it's possible to use Emacs in X even
> without any window manager.

Yeah, but they are very useful and it doesn't have to be more
minimal than that, as for speed (interactive feel) the make it
faster if anything.

  $ pmap $(pidof openbsd-cwm) | tail -n 1
  total            21972K

compare:

  $ pmap $(pidof emacs) | tail -n 1
  total           382076K

Don't be scared by the name BTW, it runs fine on Linux.

Global keystrokes to move around stuff is invaluable,
mouse-free development. Faster, better ergonomy for the arm
and for the eyes.

More fun :)

--

@ 2021-07-22  0:55   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-22  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?  For
>> instance, if I didn't want to use the mouse, could I setup a key to
>> minimize Emacs?
>
> `iconify-frame'?
>
> With some minimal setup it's possible to use Emacs in X even without any
> window manager.  You then need to have the key bindings ready to
> position and remove frames and such stuff.
>
> Controlling a window manager is a different thing.  Depends on the
> window manager then.  Using xdotool or such things is probably easier.
> One can do a lot of things when one has a lot of time...
>
> There is also an "Emacs X Window Manager" called "EXWM" - my
> distribution tells:
>
> EXWM (Emacs X Window Manager) is a full-featured tiling X window
> manager for Emacs built on top of XELB. It features:
>
> * Fully keyboard-driven operations
> * Hybrid layout modes (tiling & stacking)
> * Dynamic workspace support
> * ICCCM/EWMH compliance
> * (Optional) RandR (multi-monitor) support
> * (Optional) Builtin system tray
> * (Optional) Builtin input method
> Homepage: https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm

Bspwm might be an option. It listens on a socket for commands, so it
should be possible to controll it from Emacs.

https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm

It does not even have it's own keyboard or mouse code, but 3rd party
apps are used for the purpose. Emacs could act as sxhkd (a keyboard
handler) to send input to bspwm.

> I've never tried it since I don't like tiling WMs.
>
> Also a WM written in Haskell exists, I guess this one would be
> controllable with Emacs, too.  Or maybe ratpoison, the WM with "no
> rodent dependence".
StumpWm is written in CL if that would matter, and Sawfish uses own lisp
dialect for scripting.
> Since I use Emacs for most tasks anyway, I must say that I don't care
> that much about rodent...usage, maybe others want to share their
> experience.
Rodents are just in the way, at least on laptops.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22  1:00     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2021-07-22  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Don't be scared by the name BTW, it runs fine on Linux.

Yes, I see that "cwm" is a free port.  Quite minimalistic, but
"stacking", not "tiling", and you still can use the mouse.  I guess it
has it's fans especially among Emacs users.

Michael.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22  1:02     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

> Bspwm might be an option. It listens on a socket for
> commands, so it should be possible to controll it
> from Emacs.
>
> https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm

Also in the Debian repos,

$ aptitude show bspwm
[...] Binary space partitioning window manager
Bspwm is a tiling window manager that represents windows as
the leaves of a full binary tree.

Sounds Lispish alright ...

--

@ 2021-07-22  1:07       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> Don't be scared by the name BTW, it runs fine on Linux.
>
> Yes, I see that "cwm" is a free port.

Riight, that rings a veeery distant bell, what was that weird
terminology? tmux as well! OpenBSD ... ?

> Quite minimalistic, but "stacking", not "tiling", and you
> still can use the mouse. I guess it has it's fans especially
> among Emacs users.

With no mouse and a resolution of 640x480 I just fullscreen
everything and then have

  bind-key   M-p   window-rcycle
  bind-key   M-n   window-cycle

to cycle the windows :)

--

@ 2021-07-22  1:07     ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-22  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>
>> With some minimal setup it's possible to use Emacs in X even
>> without any window manager.
>
> Yeah, but they are very useful and it doesn't have to be more
> minimal than that, as for speed (interactive feel) the make it
> faster if anything.

That bloated monsrosity called cwm? :-)

TinyWM, just 50 lines of C:

http://incise.org/tinywm.html

> Don't be scared by the name BTW, it runs fine on Linux.
>
> Global keystrokes to move around stuff is invaluable,
Sure.

> mouse-free development. Faster, better ergonomy for the arm
That would be very dependent on what you do with your computer. Good
luck contructing a CAD model for a machine or a building or computer
animation in a 3D fx application without a mouse.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22  1:15       ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-22  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> Bspwm might be an option. It listens on a socket for
>> commands, so it should be possible to controll it
>> from Emacs.
>>
>> https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm
>
> Also in the Debian repos,
>
> $ aptitude show bspwm
> [...] Binary space partitioning window manager
> Bspwm is a tiling window manager that represents windows as
> the leaves of a full binary tree.
>
> Sounds Lispish alright ...

It is pretty similar to how Emacs deals with its windows; but I can't
tell much, I just tried it once long time ago. I am not so fun of tiling
managers either. I used to use dwm for quite a while, and even had my
own fork and some custom layouts, but eventually I don't like it. I come
up to conclusion that I still manage my windows, just doing different
managing operations than with floating wm.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22  1:20       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

> TinyWM, just 50 lines of C:
>
> http://incise.org/tinywm.html

So small not even 'aptitude search' can find it! It seems.

>> mouse-free development. Faster, better ergonomy for the arm
>
> That would be very dependent on what you do with your
> computer. Good luck contructing a CAD model for a machine or
> a building or computer animation in a 3D fx application
> without a mouse.

CAD and GIS are the usual examples but then one tend to forget
playing Quake on the projector. (or yet another TLA, FPS)

With a good AI, it would be forever fun, actually!

But it is too unrealistic and repetitive, especially the
running and shooting part (impossible), and even worse, all
firefights tend to amount backpedaling while shooting
(impossible impossible).

Can't anyone redo Quake so it will be a realistic, tactical
game? Everything else they can leave unrealistic!

--

@ 2021-07-22  1:27         ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-22  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> TinyWM, just 50 lines of C:
>>
>> http://incise.org/tinywm.html
>
> So small not even 'aptitude search' can find it! It seems.
>
>>> mouse-free development. Faster, better ergonomy for the arm
>>
>> That would be very dependent on what you do with your
>> computer. Good luck contructing a CAD model for a machine or
>> a building or computer animation in a 3D fx application
>> without a mouse.
>
> CAD and GIS are the usual examples but then one tend to forget
> playing Quake on the projector. (or yet another TLA, FPS)
>
> With a good AI, it would be forever fun, actually!
Maybe this github ai they want Emacs developer for could do games too?
> But it is too unrealistic and repetitive, especially the
> running and shooting part (impossible), and even worse, all
> firefights tend to amount backpedaling while shooting
> (impossible impossible).
Quake was the first fps I ever played. Than doom and than Unreal.
But I never played much. I always found figuring out how a game were
made more fun than figuring out how to play it.
> Can't anyone redo Quake so it will be a realistic, tactical
> game? Everything else they can leave unrealistic!
That shouldn't be impossible. There are so many mods of various Quake
engines out there, you could pick one and make it. Maybe you can plug it
into githubs AI via Emacs and get payed for it? :)

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22  1:40           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

> Quake was the first fps I ever played. Than doom and than
> Unreal. But I never played much.

Quake (1996), Fallout (1997), and StarCraft (1998) for the PC,
and Final Fantasy 7 (1997) for the PSX where the last game
I ever played.

Quake stands out for impeccable, 100% seamless game mechanics.
Glitches nonexistent!

Written in C. Faster than C++. And cooler :)

> I always found figuring out how a game were made more fun
> than figuring out how to play it.

Really? Advanced :)

Quake is like playing ice hockey, the body does the figuring
out stuff rather than the brain I'd say :)

Do Image Google the Hitachi 18V Cordless Reciprocating Saw.
It even LOOKS like something out'a Quake!

Quake is

  # time-from 1996-06-22
  25y 1m 0d 0h 0min 0s (9161 days) [219864 hours]

old.
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/time>

--

@ 2021-07-22  1:56             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Quake stands out for impeccable, 100% seamless game
> mechanics. Glitches nonexistent

Quake even had a text prompt to do configs on the fly!

It is the programmer's dream thru and thru.

While the other games I mentioned (Fallout, StarCraft, and
Final Fantasy 7) had astonishing and at the time unheard-of
art, music, storytelling, originality, the emotional appeal,
even sexuality to some degree now that I think about it,
"lore" in a word that would later be popular ...

Quake OTOH had nothing of that, it is just a programmer's tour
de force, an impeccable clockwork out of the simplest of ideas
grinding your way thru that nightmarish world you just love to
be in ...

Quake <3

--

@ 2021-07-22  2:09             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Quake (1996), Fallout (1997), and StarCraft (1998) for the
> PC, and Final Fantasy 7 (1997) for the PSX where the last
> game I ever played.

That was a good time to stop BTW. Here we are still at 56.6k.

Right after that came cable and ADSL.

And then the trio of game that supposedly killed half
a generation young guys. "I lost 10 years to this game", they
say. And I believe them.

These games were the "Brood War" expansion to StarCraft
(1998), "Counter Strike" (1999), and "Diablo 2" (2000) - all
multiplayer games.

StarCraft and Brood War were obviously amazing, I never played
CS, Diablo is super-polished but too simplistic a game-idea,
just a super-polished dungeon crawler.

Well, poor guys who lost 10 years to that. And how can that
even happen? It is the complexity of the games and the
multiplayer aspect that actually make the same old game _new_
whenever new tactics are explored, and this happens over and
over every time at a higher, more interesting and intoxicating
level ...

--

@ 2021-07-22  3:05         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-22  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

> It is pretty similar to how Emacs deals with its windows;
> but I can't tell much, I just tried it once long time ago.
> I am not so fun of tiling managers either. I used to use dwm
> for quite a while, and even had my own fork and some custom
> layouts, but eventually I don't like it. I come up to
> conclusion that I still manage my windows, just doing
> different managing operations than with floating wm.

In Debian as the dwm package,

  $ aptitude show dwm
  dynamic window manager dwm is a minimalistic window manager.
  It manages windows in tiling and floating modes. Either mode
  can be applied dynamically, depending on the application in
  use and the task performed.

  In tiling mode windows are managed in a master and stacking
  column. The master column contains the window which needs
  most attention at a time, whereas the stacking column
  contains all other windows in a stack. Dialog windows are
  managed floating, however.

  In floating mode windows can be resized and moved freely.
  Windows are grouped by tags. All windows with a specific tag
  can be viewed at a time. But each window may contain more
  than one tag, which makes it visible in several views.

  Please notice that dwm is currently customized through
  editing its source code, so you probably want to build your
  own dwm packages. This package is compiled with the default
  configuration and should just give you an idea about what
  dwm brings to your desktop.

No doubt, an exciting new brand of dynamic configuration!

Jesus, is it this complicated? Stacked, tiled, and floating
modes? Yeah, if you have tons of windows. How many do you guys
have? I have 2, one xterm/tmux/zsh and one mpv :)

I remember I used Openbox (not recommended, big and slow,
visually unappealing) and feh (retro-futuristic, should be
robust, looked like something out of the 80s tho, and that not
in a good way; I had that not on Linux but on a SunOS -
Openbox I had on Linux tho - they claim to be "very fast" in
the Debian package description ('aptitude show dwm') but this
killer 1-2 of

  picom &
  openbsd-cwm &

is _much_ faster, and better/easier to config, also.
Complete control or sufficient control for me anyway of the
windows and the possibility to fire off shell commands by just
storing them first, typing them in the WM config file -
awesome :) Actually I haven't been this happy with anything
computer-ish since I switched from mplayer to mpv!
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.cwmrc>
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#mpv>
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/SOFTWARE>

But while mpv is huge, cwm is small...

I think feh kicked in on the SunOS system when the previous
WM or something else failed, as a fallback system...

--

@ 2021-07-22 12:09             ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-22 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> Quake was the first fps I ever played. Than doom and than
>> Unreal. But I never played much.
>
> Quake (1996), Fallout (1997), and StarCraft (1998) for the PC,
> and Final Fantasy 7 (1997) for the PSX where the last game
> I ever played.
I forgott, actually the coolest game I ever played was Seriuos Sam. I
loved the parodi on action games, at least in the very first. It was
like those early James Bond movies that were a parodi on Holliwood
action stuff. I did play some SC2 and I also forgott, my first game was
actually Civilization I on an onld 286 computer with floppy disks :D. If
we don't count arcade games back in 80's when I was a kid.

> Quake stands out for impeccable, 100% seamless game mechanics.
> Glitches nonexistent!
>
> Written in C. Faster than C++. And cooler :)
I think you wold be surprised. I have heard something that Quake runs
lot's of the game stuff on interpretted byte code language called [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuakeC][Quake
C]] :).
>> I always found figuring out how a game were made more fun
>> than figuring out how to play it.
>
> Really? Advanced :)
>
> Quake is like playing ice hockey, the body does the figuring
> out stuff rather than the brain I'd say :)
Then Unreal was/*is* still more so. Unreal definitely made the trend
and inspired Quake III Arena when it comes to fast paced shooters.

> Do Image Google the Hitachi 18V Cordless Reciprocating Saw.
> It even LOOKS like something out'a Quake!
>
> Quake is
>
>   # time-from 1996-06-22
>   25y 1m 0d 0h 0min 0s (9161 days) [219864 hours]
>
> old.
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/time>
Looks pretty, but why writing shell script, write it in Elisp :-).

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22 12:14               ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-22 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> Quake stands out for impeccable, 100% seamless game
>> mechanics. Glitches nonexistent
>
> Quake even had a text prompt to do configs on the fly!
>
> It is the programmer's dream thru and thru.
>
> While the other games I mentioned (Fallout, StarCraft, and
> Final Fantasy 7) had astonishing and at the time unheard-of
> art, music, storytelling, originality, the emotional appeal,
> even sexuality to some degree now that I think about it,
> "lore" in a word that would later be popular ...
>
> Quake OTOH had nothing of that, it is just a programmer's tour
> de force, an impeccable clockwork out of the simplest of ideas
> grinding your way thru that nightmarish world you just love to
> be in ...

Well at the time they were setting the standard. Wolfenstein, Doom,
Quake, Carmack & Abrash showed it was possible to do this on a PC. Rest
followed. We can argue now that FPS like Doom/Quake are not so creative
in it's game play, but then there were not so many such game. When HL2
came up with destructible things and barrels one could throw around it
was a revolution, now probably even shi***st games can do solid body
physics.

* Re: minimize-frame ?
@ 2021-07-22 12:26           ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-07-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> It is pretty similar to how Emacs deals with its windows;
>> but I can't tell much, I just tried it once long time ago.
>> I am not so fun of tiling managers either. I used to use dwm
>> for quite a while, and even had my own fork and some custom
>> layouts, but eventually I don't like it. I come up to
>> conclusion that I still manage my windows, just doing
>> different managing operations than with floating wm.
>
> In Debian as the dwm package,
>
>   $ aptitude show dwm
>   dynamic window manager dwm is a minimalistic window manager.
>   It manages windows in tiling and floating modes. Either mode
>   can be applied dynamically, depending on the application in
>   use and the task performed.
>
>   In tiling mode windows are managed in a master and stacking
>   column. The master column contains the window which needs
>   most attention at a time, whereas the stacking column
>   contains all other windows in a stack. Dialog windows are
>   managed floating, however.
>
>   In floating mode windows can be resized and moved freely.
>   Windows are grouped by tags. All windows with a specific tag
>   can be viewed at a time. But each window may contain more
>   than one tag, which makes it visible in several views.
>
>   Please notice that dwm is currently customized through
>   editing its source code, so you probably want to build your
>   own dwm packages. This package is compiled with the default
>   configuration and should just give you an idea about what
>   dwm brings to your desktop.
>
> No doubt, an exciting new brand of dynamic configuration!
>
> Jesus, is it this complicated? Stacked, tiled, and floating
> modes? Yeah, if you have tons of windows. How many do you guys
> have? I have 2, one xterm/tmux/zsh and one mpv :)
I have mostly three. But really two. Half of the screen is Emacs,
changing from fullscreen to 50% screen width and other 50% of screen
width is Firefox. I have st below since it is the app that "owns" my X
session. I use Compiz, actually just "grid" plugin so I can switch
windows on one key priss to left/right half, or a quadrant. Sometimes
happens that I have another window, like Gimp or Okular, or something
else. I will usually stack it on top of Emacs, and then send window
behind with a key press so I can cycle between Emacs and other app. It
is quite fast, just a key too. That is provided by Compiz and grid
plugin, but I would like to actually do this with something else, maybe
Emacs itself. I use Rofi if I have to switch to other screen half. I was
looking to make a helm app to do this from Emacs with either wmctrl or
xdotool, but I haven't got time.

> I remember I used Openbox (not recommended, big and slow,
> visually unappealing) and feh (retro-futuristic, should be
> robust, looked like something out of the 80s tho, and that not
> in a good way; I had that not on Linux but on a SunOS -
> Openbox I had on Linux tho - they claim to be "very fast" in
> the Debian package description ('aptitude show dwm') but this
> killer 1-2 of
>
>   picom &
>   openbsd-cwm &
>
> is _much_ faster, and better/easier to config, also.
> Complete control or sufficient control for me anyway of the
> windows and the possibility to fire off shell commands by just
> storing them first, typing them in the WM config file -
> awesome :) Actually I haven't been this happy with anything
> computer-ish since I switched from mplayer to mpv!
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.cwmrc>
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#mpv>
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/SOFTWARE>
>
> But while mpv is huge, cwm is small...
>
> I think feh kicked in on the SunOS system when the previous
> WM or something else failed, as a fallback system...
I hae used lot's of different wms through time. Olwm (wm from Open
Windows from Solaris) was really, really fast, I used it back in 1999 or
so, but it was pain to get to work in X11 on Linux. Some guy patched it,
I have no idea if it still would work. Mwm was also realy fast, and
probably still is if you can live with giant decorations. But fast were
also blackbox, fluxbox, fwwm2 and lots of other stuff, enlightement and
afterstep were also fast back then, and there was some other clone of
next similar to afterstep that I used for a while, WindowMaker or
something that actually let me turn off decorations. That was always a
big thing for me, another reason why i run Compiz nowadays.