all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#60122: 29.0.60; c-ts-mode breaks with '"' separated macros
@ 2022-12-16 14:52 Mohammed Sadiq
From: Mohammed Sadiq @ 2022-12-16 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 60122

The following code is parsed wrong with c-ts-mode:

#include <gio/gio.h>

int
main (void)
{
   GFileInfo *info;
   GFile *file;

   file = g_file_new_for_path ("some/path");
   info = g_file_query_info (file,
                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID ","
                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAILING_FAILED ","
                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TIME_MODIFIED ","
                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_STANDARD_FAST_CONTENT_TYPE,
                             G_FILE_QUERY_INFO_NONE,
                             NULL, NULL);
}

c-ts-mode doesn't assume  G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID (and
others) to be a string (or some function/macro call that results in a
string) resulting in broken font locking and tab indentation.

The same code seems to work fine with c-mode

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.35, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-16 built on purism
Repository revision: f04680e067b04ccc9c37e709172c42bf34977ec8
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_IN.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cl-extra help-mode c-ts-mode treesit cl-seq cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 62400 10766)
  (symbols 48 7256 0)
  (strings 32 21008 2056)
  (string-bytes 1 750175)
  (vectors 16 13107)
  (vector-slots 8 185233 12037)
  (floats 8 30 215)
  (intervals 56 408 1)
  (buffers 984 12))

* bug#60122: 29.0.60; c-ts-mode breaks with '"' separated macros
@ 2022-12-16 19:30 ` Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-12-16 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohammed Sadiq; +Cc: 60122, casouri

Mohammed Sadiq <sadiq@sadiqpk.org> writes:

> The following code is parsed wrong with c-ts-mode:
>

> #include <gio/gio.h>
>
> int
> main (void)
> {
>   GFileInfo *info;
>   GFile *file;
>
>   file = g_file_new_for_path ("some/path");
>   info = g_file_query_info (file,
>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID ","
>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAILING_FAILED ","
>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TIME_MODIFIED ","
>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_STANDARD_FAST_CONTENT_TYPE,
>                             G_FILE_QUERY_INFO_NONE,
>                             NULL, NULL);
> }
>

> c-ts-mode doesn't assume  G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID (and
> others) to be a string (or some function/macro call that results in a
> string) resulting in broken font locking and tab indentation.
>
> The same code seems to work fine with c-mode

Hi!

If you use treesit-explore-mode, you can see that the tree-sitter parser
returns this ast:

   (expression_statement
    (assignment_expression left: (identifier) operator: =
     right:
      (call_expression function: (identifier)
       arguments:
        (argument_list ( (identifier) , (identifier)
         (ERROR ")
         ,
         (string_literal "
          (ERROR (identifier))
          ")
         ,
         (string_literal "
          (ERROR (identifier))
          ")
         ,
         (ERROR ")
         (identifier) , (identifier) , (null) , (null) ))))
    ;)

Because tree-sitter fails to parse this there's only so much we can do.

I think you should file this as a bug at the parser issue tracker over
at github[0].  Maybe it's a known problem already?

Theo

[0]: https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-c/issues

* bug#60122: 29.0.60; c-ts-mode breaks with '"' separated macros
@ 2022-12-17  7:20   ` Mohammed Sadiq
From: Mohammed Sadiq @ 2022-12-17  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: 60122, casouri

On 2022-12-17 01:00, Theodor Thornhill wrote:
> Mohammed Sadiq <sadiq@sadiqpk.org> writes:
>
>> The following code is parsed wrong with c-ts-mode:
>>

>> #include <gio/gio.h>
>>
>> int
>> main (void)
>> {
>>   GFileInfo *info;
>>   GFile *file;
>>
>>   file = g_file_new_for_path ("some/path");
>>   info = g_file_query_info (file,
>>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID ","
>>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAILING_FAILED ","
>>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TIME_MODIFIED ","
>>
>> G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_STANDARD_FAST_CONTENT_TYPE,
>>                             G_FILE_QUERY_INFO_NONE,
>>                             NULL, NULL);
>> }
>>

>> c-ts-mode doesn't assume  G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID (and
>> others) to be a string (or some function/macro call that results in a
>> string) resulting in broken font locking and tab indentation.
>>
>> The same code seems to work fine with c-mode
>>

> Hi!
>
> If you use treesit-explore-mode, you can see that the tree-sitter
> parser
> returns this ast:
>
>    (expression_statement
>     (assignment_expression left: (identifier) operator: =
>      right:
>       (call_expression function: (identifier)
>        arguments:
>         (argument_list ( (identifier) , (identifier)
>          (ERROR ")
>          ,
>          (string_literal "
>           (ERROR (identifier))
>           ")
>          ,
>          (string_literal "
>           (ERROR (identifier))
>           ")
>          ,
>          (ERROR ")
>          (identifier) , (identifier) , (null) , (null) ))))
>     ;)
>

> Because tree-sitter fails to parse this there's only so much we can do.
>
> I think you should file this as a bug at the parser issue tracker over
> at github[0].  Maybe it's a known problem already?
>
> Theo
>

> [0]: https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-c/issues

I did notice that later and filed an issue:
https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-c/issues/120

cheers,
Mohammed Sadiq

* bug#60122: 29.0.60; c-ts-mode breaks with '"' separated macros
@ 2023-01-07 23:17 ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2023-01-07 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohammed Sadiq; +Cc: 60122-done, Theodor Thornhill

Mohammed Sadiq <sadiq@sadiqpk.org> writes:

> On 2022-12-17 01:00, Theodor Thornhill wrote:
>> Mohammed Sadiq <sadiq@sadiqpk.org> writes:
>>
>>> The following code is parsed wrong with c-ts-mode:
>>> #include <gio/gio.h>
>>> int
>>> main (void)
>>> {
>>>   GFileInfo *info;
>>>   GFile *file;
>>>   file = g_file_new_for_path ("some/path");
>>>   info = g_file_query_info (file,
>>>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID ","
>>>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAILING_FAILED ","
>>>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TIME_MODIFIED ","
>>>                             G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_STANDARD_FAST_CONTENT_TYPE,
>>>                             G_FILE_QUERY_INFO_NONE,
>>>                             NULL, NULL);
>>> }
>>> c-ts-mode doesn't assume  G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_THUMBNAIL_IS_VALID (and
>>> others) to be a string (or some function/macro call that results in a
>>> string) resulting in broken font locking and tab indentation.
>>> The same code seems to work fine with c-mode
>>>
>> Hi!
>> If you use treesit-explore-mode, you can see that the tree-sitter
>> parser
>> returns this ast:
>>    (expression_statement
>>     (assignment_expression left: (identifier) operator: =
>>      right:
>>       (call_expression function: (identifier)
>>        arguments:
>>         (argument_list ( (identifier) , (identifier)
>>          (ERROR ")
>>          ,
>>          (string_literal "
>>           (ERROR (identifier))
>>           ")
>>          ,
>>          (string_literal "
>>           (ERROR (identifier))
>>           ")
>>          ,
>>          (ERROR ")
>>          (identifier) , (identifier) , (null) , (null) ))))
>>     ;)
>> Because tree-sitter fails to parse this there's only so much we can
>> do.
>> I think you should file this as a bug at the parser issue tracker
>> over
>> at github[0].  Maybe it's a known problem already?
>> Theo
>> [0]: https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-c/issues
>

> I did notice that later and filed an issue:
> https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-c/issues/120

Thanks. I’m closing this then.

Yuan