all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-29 15:06 Vojtěch Balák
From: Vojtěch Balák @ 2023-03-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 62528

Hello,

When starting Emacs in a terminal emulator with 24 bit color support,
I would like it to take advantage of this. According to the FAQ
section 5.3, setting the variable COLORTERM to truecolor should
result in Emacs using 24 bit colors. But according to my observations,
this is not always true.

Starting Emacs in these ways does result in it using true color:
TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM=truecolor emacs -nw
TERM=xterm-direct COLORTERM= emacs -nw
TERM=xterm-direct COLORTERM= emacsclient -nw

Starting it in these ways does result in it NOT using true color:
TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM= emacs -nw
TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM= emacsclient -nw
TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM=truecolor emacsclient -nw

The last one is the odd one out. According to my understanding, that
should result in 24 bit color being used, but in practice it does not.

I verify the color mode by running M-x list-colors-display and seeing if
the list of returned colors is longer than 256.

Best regards,
Vojtěch Balák

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.6)
of 2023-01-03 built on 2
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
--with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
-mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
-fcf-protection -g
-ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dashboard

Minor modes in effect:
global-tree-sitter-mode: t
which-key-mode: t
global-flycheck-mode: t
company-posframe-mode: t
global-company-mode: t
company-mode: t
global-git-gutter-mode: t
global-git-commit-mode: t
magit-auto-revert-mode: t
projectile-mode: t
helm-mode: t
helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
solaire-global-mode: t
doom-modeline-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
global-evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
evil-mode: t
evil-local-mode: t
global-undo-tree-mode: t
undo-tree-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/vojta/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient

Features:
(facemenu shadow sort emacsbug sendmail goto-addr evil-collection-view
view mule-util misearch multi-isearch image-file image-converter
helm-external helm-net skeleton vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs bug-reference winner mail-extr tramp-archive
tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval
evil-collection-edebug edebug backtrace helm-info evil-collection-vc-git
vc-git display-line-numbers rainbow-delimiters flycheck-rust org-appear
flyspell ispell mixed-pitch org-indent org-element avl-tree ol-eww
evil-collection-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt evil-collection-speedbar
speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win evil-collection-gnus gnus nnheader ol-docview
evil-collection-doc-view doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi evil-collection-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs evil-collection-calendar cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
time shr kinsoku svg xml dom evil-collection-lua-mode lua-mode
terraform-mode hcl-mode dockerfile-mode evil-collection-sh-script
sh-script smie executable haskell-mode haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports
haskell-complete-module haskell-ghc-support evil-collection-flymake
flymake-proc flymake warnings dabbrev haskell-customize flycheck-joker
evil-collection-cider cider tramp-sh cider-debug cider-browse-ns
cider-mode cider-find cider-inspector cider-completion cider-profile
cider-eval cider-jar cider-repl-history pulse cider-repl cider-resolve
cider-test cider-overlays cider-stacktrace cider-doc cider-browse-spec
cider-clojuredocs cider-eldoc cider-client cider-common cider-connection
cider-util cider-popup sesman-browser nrepl-client nrepl-dict spinner
sesman vc vc-dispatcher clojure-mode align parseedn parseclj-parser
parseclj-lex parseclj-alist evil-collection-slime slime
evil-collection-apropos apropos evil-collection-outline noutline outline
hyperspec ranger hl-line evil-collection-vdiff vdiff hydra lv kubel-evil
kubel evil-collection-eshell em-prompt esh-mode eshell esh-cmd esh-ext
esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
evil-collection-yaml-mode yaml-mode evil-collection-vterm vterm
magit-bookmark evil-collection-bookmark bookmark color
evil-collection-term term disp-table ehelp vterm-module term/xterm xterm
tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build evil-collection-tar-mode
tar-mode evil-collection-arc-mode arc-mode archive-mode pp
tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn
tsc-dyn-get dired-aux tsc-obsolete evil-collection-which-key which-key
evil-collection-flycheck flycheck find-func company-posframe posframe
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
evil-collection-xref xref company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb evil-collection-company
company git-gutter evil-collection-magit magit-submodule magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func evil-collection-imenu imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode evil-collection-diff-mode diff-mode git-commit
evil-collection-log-edit log-edit message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
evil-collection-epa epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor server
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base evil-collection-magit-section
magit-section crm evil-collection-ripgrep ripgrep helm-projectile
projectile project lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr evil-collection-grep grep evil-collection-compile
compile ibuf-ext evil-collection-ibuffer ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
helm-mode helm-misc evil-collection-helm helm-files
evil-collection-image-dired image-dired filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete
evil-collection-comint comint parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp
format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async evil-collection-neotree neotree
solaire-mode face-remap doom-modeline doom-modeline-segments
doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core shrink-path rx f f-shortdoc
evil-collection-shortdoc shortdoc text-property-search s dash compat
compat-29 evil-collection-dashboard dashboard dashboard-widgets recentf
tree-widget wid-edit ffap all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons evil-collection-unimpaired
evil-collection-tabulated-list evil-collection-tab-bar
evil-collection-simple evil-collection-replace
evil-collection-process-menu evil-collection-package-menu
evil-collection-info evil-collection-indent evil-collection-image
image-mode evil-collection-dired dired dired-loaddefs exif
evil-collection-help evil-collection-elisp-mode evil-collection-eldoc
evil-collection-buff-menu evil-collection annalist evil evil-integration
evil-maps evil-commands reveal evil-jumps evil-command-window
evil-search evil-ex evil-types evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states
evil-core advice evil-common thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring
edmacro kmacro undo-tree diff queue doom-themes-ext-neotree
doom-gruvbox-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base cl-extra help-mode
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
pcase slime-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 839697 87675)
(symbols 48 58194 3)
(strings 32 254832 18309)
(string-bytes 1 7559626)
(vectors 16 118605)
(vector-slots 8 1538617 83734)
(floats 8 1343 1501)
(intervals 56 9681 4159)
(buffers 992 29))

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-29 17:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-29 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vojtěch Balák; +Cc: 62528

> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:06:18 +0200
> From: Vojtěch Balák <vojtech@balak.me>
>
> When starting Emacs in a terminal emulator with 24 bit color support,
> I would like it to take advantage of this. According to the FAQ
> section 5.3, setting the variable COLORTERM to truecolor should
> result in Emacs using 24 bit colors. But according to my observations,
> this is not always true.
>
> Starting Emacs in these ways does result in it using true color:
> TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM=truecolor emacs -nw
> TERM=xterm-direct COLORTERM= emacs -nw
> TERM=xterm-direct COLORTERM= emacsclient -nw
>
> Starting it in these ways does result in it NOT using true color:
> TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM= emacs -nw
> TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM= emacsclient -nw
> TERM=xterm-256color COLORTERM=truecolor emacsclient -nw
>
> The last one is the odd one out. According to my understanding, that
> should result in 24 bit color being used, but in practice it does not.

I think you are misinterpreting what the documentation says.
COLORTERM=truecolor can only affect Emacs, it cannot affect the
display triggered by emacsclient.

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-29 18:42   ` Vojtěch Balák
From: Vojtěch Balák @ 2023-03-29 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 62528

> I think you are misinterpreting what the documentation says.
> COLORTERM=truecolor can only affect Emacs, it cannot affect the
> display triggered by emacsclient.

Why is that the case, if you don't mind me asking? emacsclient does
support 24 bit color, since setting TERM=xterm-direct works. And
because both Emacs and emacsclient support 24 bit color, I would
expect COLORTERM to work for both.

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-29 18:48     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vojtěch Balák; +Cc: 62528

> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 20:42:53 +0200
> From: Vojtěch Balák <vojtech@balak.me>
> Cc: 62528@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > I think you are misinterpreting what the documentation says.
> > COLORTERM=truecolor can only affect Emacs, it cannot affect the
> > display triggered by emacsclient.
>
> Why is that the case, if you don't mind me asking? emacsclient does
> support 24 bit color, since setting TERM=xterm-direct works. And
> because both Emacs and emacsclient support 24 bit color, I would
> expect COLORTERM to work for both.

COLORTERM should be in the environment of emacs when it starts, not in
the environment of emacsclient.

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-30  7:49       ` Vojtěch Balák
From: Vojtěch Balák @ 2023-03-30  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 62528

> COLORTERM should be in the environment of emacs when it starts, not in
> the environment of emacsclient.

Oh, that does work. You're right, I misunderstood the documentation.
Thank you for clarifying.

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-30  8:51         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-30  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vojtěch Balák; +Cc: 62528-done

> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:49:56 +0200
> From: Vojtěch Balák <vojtech@balak.me>
> Cc: 62528@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > COLORTERM should be in the environment of emacs when it starts, not in
> > the environment of emacsclient.
>
> Oh, that does work. You're right, I misunderstood the documentation.
> Thank you for clarifying.

OK, I'm therefore closing this bug.

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-30  8:59         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-03-30  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Vojtěch Balák, 62528

    >> COLORTERM should be in the environment of emacs when it starts, not in
    >> the environment of emacsclient.

Thatʼs because we look it up using `getenv' in init_tty. If we used
`egetenv' instead, then we could honour the value of "COLORTERM" sent
by emacsclient.

Robert

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-30  9:34           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-30  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: vojtech, 62528

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: Vojtěch Balák <vojtech@balak.me>,
>   62528@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:59:32 +0200

>     >> COLORTERM should be in the environment of emacs when it starts, not in
>     >> the environment of emacsclient.
>
> Thatʼs because we look it up using `getenv' in init_tty. If we used
> `egetenv' instead, then we could honour the value of "COLORTERM" sent
> by emacsclient.

But egetenv would be wrong here, because it looks in
process-environment.

This is _exactly_ the issue here: emacsclient puts the environment of
the parent shell into process-environment, so that it could be
inherited by sub-processes, but Emacs itself should _not_ be sensitive
to the environment it prepares for sub-processes.

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-30  9:41             ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-03-30  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: vojtech, 62528

    >> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
    >> Cc: Vojtěch Balák <vojtech@balak.me>,
    >> 62528@debbugs.gnu.org
    >> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:59:32 +0200

    >> Thatʼs because we look it up using `getenv' in init_tty. If we used
    >> `egetenv' instead, then we could honour the value of "COLORTERM" sent
    >> by emacsclient.

    Eli> But egetenv would be wrong here, because it looks in
    Eli> process-environment.

Well yes, thatʼs the whole point

    Eli> This is _exactly_ the issue here: emacsclient puts the environment of
    Eli> the parent shell into process-environment, so that it could be
    Eli> inherited by sub-processes, but Emacs itself should _not_ be sensitive
    Eli> to the environment it prepares for sub-processes.

Normally Iʼd agree with you, but this a grey area: weʼre creating a
new frame, so having its characteristics depend on information sent by
emacsclient makes sense, especially since server.el already goes to
the trouble of ensuring that emacsclientʼs value of COLORTERM is
inherited.

Would you accept a compromise where we check `getenv', and if the
value is empty, check `egetenv'?

Robert

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-30 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: vojtech, 62528

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: vojtech@balak.me,  62528@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 11:41:42 +0200
>
> Would you accept a compromise where we check `getenv', and if the
> value is empty, check `egetenv'?

Sorry, no.  First, because it will not behave differently from just
using egetenv to begin with.  More importantly, I don't think we want
to have such different color capabilities on different frames in the
same Emacs session, that will cause many problems we don't want to
touch with a 3-mile pole.

The fix is easy: set the variable before starting Emacs, so why should
we jump through hoops here?

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
@ 2023-03-30 12:11                 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-03-30 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: vojtech, 62528

    Eli> More importantly, I don't think we want
    Eli> to have such different color capabilities on different frames in the
    Eli> same Emacs session, that will cause many problems we don't want to
    Eli> touch with a 3-mile pole.

Thatʼs a situation we already have, since those color capabilities are
derived from the terminal where emacsclient is invoked anyway.

Robert

* bug#62528: 28.2; Emacsclient doesn't use COLORTERM
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-30 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: vojtech, 62528

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: vojtech@balak.me,  62528@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 14:11:29 +0200

>     Eli> More importantly, I don't think we want
>     Eli> to have such different color capabilities on different frames in the
>     Eli> same Emacs session, that will cause many problems we don't want to
>     Eli> touch with a 3-mile pole.
>
> Thatʼs a situation we already have, since those color capabilities are
> derived from the terminal where emacsclient is invoked anyway.

But COLORTERM disregards terminfo, so it's much more dangerous.