* GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-01 12:59 Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2022-11-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

What's the way in GNUS to see, say, 10 most recent messages no matter to
which groups they have been split?

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-02 13:16 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-02 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

https://stocktwits.com/symbol/GNUS

> to see, say, 10 most recent messages no matter to which
> groups they have been split?

Interesting question, maybe you have to create a virtual group
containing all other groups?

And then do `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'.

But I don't remember/know how that virtual group was set up,
it should be in the Gnus manual, no doubt ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-02 15:57 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-11-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday,  1 Nov 2022 at 15:59, Sergey Organov wrote:
> What's the way in GNUS to see, say, 10 most recent messages no matter to
> which groups they have been split?

I do not think this is possible out of the box as such.

You could, however, search for emails using nnselect that have arrived
in a particular time frame, like date:today.  Maybe you can use a time
specification as well and fine tune that way depending on how many
emails/posts you receive.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-11-01) on Debian 11.4

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-02 20:42 ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2022-11-02 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Organov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I've been only a gnus user quite recently but I think the nnvirtual
backends would work for that use case.

Br,

Björn Bidar

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-03  9:21   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-11-03  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday,  2 Nov 2022 at 22:42, Björn Bidar wrote:
> I've been only a gnus user quite recently but I think the nnvirtual
> backends would work for that use case.

I use virtual groups and they won't work for this use case. The
retrieval of "old" articles does not retrieve from all groups involved +
sort + select... which is what would be necessary.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-10-03) on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-03 10:19     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-03 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> I've been only a gnus user quite recently but I think the
>> nnvirtual backends would work for that use case.
>
> I use virtual groups and they won't work for this use case.
> The retrieval of "old" articles does not retrieve from all
> groups involved + sort + select... which is what would
> be necessary.

This doesn't work?

(info "(gnus) Combined Groups")

  You specify `nnvirtual' as the method.  The address should be a
  regexp to match component groups. [...]

  Here’s an example `nnvirtual' method that collects all
  Andrea Dworkin newsgroups into one, big, happy newsgroup:

    (nnvirtual "^alt\\.fan\\.andrea-dworkin$\\|^rec\\.dworkin.*")

--

@ 2022-11-03 10:36     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-03 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> I've been only a gnus user quite recently but I think the
>> nnvirtual backends would work for that use case.
>
> I use virtual groups and they won't work for this use case.
> The retrieval of "old" articles does not retrieve from all
> groups involved + sort + select... which is what would
> be necessary.

I think it works! Try this ...

Create a newsgroup with `G V' or
`gnus-group-make-empty-virtual', then do
`gnus-group-edit-group-method' and type

(nnvirtual "^nntp\\+nntp\\.aioe\\.org:alt\\.os\\.linux$\\|^nntp\\+nntp\\.aioe\\.org:comp\\.text\\.tex$")

This combines alt.os.linux and comp.text.tex from the Usenet
server nntp.aioe.org using the protocol nntp.

Enter the group as you normally would and do

@ 2022-11-03 17:50     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-03 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Wednesday,  2 Nov 2022 at 22:42, Björn Bidar wrote:
>> I've been only a gnus user quite recently but I think the nnvirtual
>> backends would work for that use case.
>
> I use virtual groups and they won't work for this use case. The
> retrieval of "old" articles does not retrieve from all groups involved +
> sort + select... which is what would be necessary.

If your Emacs/Gnus has gnus-search, you can do this with a search group,
though all backends involved will have to have some sort of search
indexer on them. Mark the groups you want to include, and use "G g" to
create a permanent search group. The query should be something like
"-mark:read".

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-11-04  8:13 ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-11-04  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Organov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> What's the way in GNUS to see, say, 10 most recent messages no matter to
> which groups they have been split?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Sergey Organov

How do you split message?  What select method are you using?  I'm
struggling with email splitting.

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-04 11:40   ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2022-11-04 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> What's the way in GNUS to see, say, 10 most recent messages no matter to
>> which groups they have been split?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -- Sergey Organov
>>

> How do you split message?

I'm using plain:

(setq nnmail-crosspost 'nil)
(setq nnmail-split-methods
   ... lengthy list of split rules ...)

> What select method are you using?

I have:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

in my .gnus.el, so I figure I use nnml.

@ 2022-11-04 13:50       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-11-04 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday,  3 Nov 2022 at 11:36, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Enter the group as you normally would and do
> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'.

And you will find, or at least I do, that the old articles inserted are
not necessarily the most recent.  It depends on what groups make up the
virtual group.  I know there was a discussion about this behaviour some
months ago now on the gnus list.

To get what the OP wanted, gnus would need to request a suitable number
from each group in the virtual group, collate them, sort them, and then
return the N desired.  It doesn't do that, AFAICT.

--

@ 2022-11-04 19:22         ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2022-11-04 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Thursday,  3 Nov 2022 at 11:36, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>> Enter the group as you normally would and do
>> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'.
>
> And you will find, or at least I do, that the old articles inserted are
> not necessarily the most recent.  It depends on what groups make up the
> virtual group.  I know there was a discussion about this behaviour some
> months ago now on the gnus list.
>
> To get what the OP wanted, gnus would need to request a suitable number
> from each group in the virtual group, collate them, sort them, and then
> return the N desired.  It doesn't do that, AFAICT.

I wonder if it gets any easier if we limit the scope to nnml groups,
i.e., to the split mail that is locally available in corresponding GNUS
files/directories, and we consider "recent" by, say, receive time?

In essence, the aim is to find a message that I've received and read,
say, yesterday, but can't easily recall particular group it has been
split into? So, for example, ability to make a group with N last
messages taken from every of the nnml groups (NxG messages total) would
be fine as well.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-11-04 20:26 ` Jeffrey DeLeo
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2022-11-04 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

> What's the way in GNUS to see, say, 10 most recent messages no matter
> to which groups they have been split?

Your email address suggests you use gmail. Can you access the gmail "All
Mail" group from gnus? You could then see which messages met your date
criterion.

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-05 12:35         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-05 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> Enter the group as you normally would and do
>> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'.
>
> And you will find, or at least I do, that the old articles inserted are
> not necessarily the most recent.  It depends on what groups make up the
> virtual group.  I know there was a discussion about this behaviour some
> months ago now on the gnus list.

Okay, but that means the virtual group isn't treated the same
way as a regular group.

Either this discrepancy is in the group itself or
`gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (and possibly other
functions as well) branch and treat it differently for some
reason ...

--

@ 2022-11-05 13:15           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-11-05 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday,  4 Nov 2022 at 22:22, Sergey Organov wrote:
> I wonder if it gets any easier if we limit the scope to nnml groups,
> i.e., to the split mail that is locally available in corresponding GNUS
> files/directories, and we consider "recent" by, say, receive time?

I use nnml for all of my emails.  All the individual groups are grouped
(for want of a better word) into a few topics (e.g. work & personal).
Then I can search a whole topic with a single command.  I use notmuch
which allows me to say "date:today" or "date:yesterday" (or specify an
actual range of dates etc.).  That suffices for me generally and I do
use splitting quite a bit.

TL;DR: use gnus search instead of the limit feature in gnus.

--

@ 2022-11-05 21:31           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-05 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> And you will find, or at least I do, that the old articles
>> inserted are not necessarily the most recent. It depends on
>> what groups make up the virtual group. I know there was
>> a discussion about this behaviour some months ago now on
>> the gnus list.
>
> Okay, but that means the virtual group isn't treated the
> same way as a regular group.
>
> Either this discrepancy is in the group itself or
> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (and possibly other
> functions as well) branch and treat it differently for some
> reason ...

I tried to tick articles and then open the group again.
They are gone! So OK then, virtual groups seems to be an
underpowered feature of Gnus ...

--

@ 2022-11-06 14:50             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>>> And you will find, or at least I do, that the old articles
>>> inserted are not necessarily the most recent. It depends on
>>> what groups make up the virtual group. I know there was
>>> a discussion about this behaviour some months ago now on
>>> the gnus list.
>>
>> Okay, but that means the virtual group isn't treated the
>> same way as a regular group.
>>
>> Either this discrepancy is in the group itself or
>> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (and possibly other
>> functions as well) branch and treat it differently for some
>> reason ...
>
> I tried to tick articles and then open the group again.
> They are gone! So OK then, virtual groups seems to be an
> underpowered feature of Gnus ...

The newer nnselect backend, which provides a superset of nnvirtual's
functionality, doesn't have this problem with propagating marks to the
backend. The question of how to draw the "most recent" articles from
multiple constituent groups in an intuitive way is still an open issue,
however...

* Re: GNUS: how to see all recent messages?
@ 2022-11-06 15:25               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> Okay, but that means the virtual group isn't treated the
>>> same way as a regular group.
>>>
>>> Either this discrepancy is in the group itself or
>>> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (and possibly other
>>> functions as well) branch and treat it differently for
>>> some reason ...
>>
>> I tried to tick articles and then open the group again.
>> They are gone! So OK then, virtual groups seems to be an
>> underpowered feature of Gnus ...
>
> The newer nnselect backend, which provides a superset of
> nnvirtual's functionality, doesn't have this problem with
> propagating marks to the backend. The question of how to
> draw the "most recent" articles from multiple constituent
> groups in an intuitive way is still an open issue,
> however...

Okay, but how does that happen with
`gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'? Does it compare some
header value? Or look at some index? Why doesn't that work on
virtual/select'd groups?

--

@ 2022-11-07 14:01                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-11-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel, read my previous response in this thread to see what would be
needed.
--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-11-05) on Debian 11.4