* Compressed *.el files
@ 2021-09-22 13:08 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-09-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Corallo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Andrea,

The function comp-el-to-eln-rel-filename is capable of processing
compressed *.el.gz files, which is of course needed for working
correctly in an installed Emacs.  However, when it sees a file whose
name ends in .gz, it invokes the function md5_gz_stream, which is only
defined if Emacs was built with zlib.  Does this have some fallback
(which I'm missing ATM) for when Emacs was built without zlib, or do
we need to add something there?

Thanks.

* Re: Compressed *.el files
@ 2021-09-22 15:19 ` Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions.
From: Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions. @ 2021-09-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Andrea,
>
> The function comp-el-to-eln-rel-filename is capable of processing
> compressed *.el.gz files, which is of course needed for working
> correctly in an installed Emacs.  However, when it sees a file whose
> name ends in .gz, it invokes the function md5_gz_stream, which is only
> defined if Emacs was built with zlib.  Does this have some fallback
> (which I'm missing ATM) for when Emacs was built without zlib, or do
> we need to add something there?

Hi Eli,

good point, I guess we should require zlib for
--with-native-compilation.  Is this problematic?

Best Regards

  Andrea

* Re: Compressed *.el files
@ 2021-09-22 15:53   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-09-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Corallo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:19:40 +0000
>
> > The function comp-el-to-eln-rel-filename is capable of processing
> > compressed *.el.gz files, which is of course needed for working
> > correctly in an installed Emacs.  However, when it sees a file whose
> > name ends in .gz, it invokes the function md5_gz_stream, which is only
> > defined if Emacs was built with zlib.  Does this have some fallback
> > (which I'm missing ATM) for when Emacs was built without zlib, or do
> > we need to add something there?
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> good point, I guess we should require zlib for
> --with-native-compilation.  Is this problematic?

I don't know if it's problematic.  A build without zlib still could
use native-compilation, they should just disable compression of the
*.el files at "make install" time.  So requiring zlib could be too
drastic.

I will make the changes to fail native compilation if the *.el files
are compressed, but zlib isn't available, and will write up something
regarding the installation in that case.

* Re: Compressed *.el files
@ 2021-09-22 16:02     ` Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions.
From: Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions. @ 2021-09-22 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:19:40 +0000
>>
>> > The function comp-el-to-eln-rel-filename is capable of processing
>> > compressed *.el.gz files, which is of course needed for working
>> > correctly in an installed Emacs.  However, when it sees a file whose
>> > name ends in .gz, it invokes the function md5_gz_stream, which is only
>> > defined if Emacs was built with zlib.  Does this have some fallback
>> > (which I'm missing ATM) for when Emacs was built without zlib, or do
>> > we need to add something there?
>>
>> Hi Eli,
>>
>> good point, I guess we should require zlib for
>> --with-native-compilation.  Is this problematic?
>
> I don't know if it's problematic.  A build without zlib still could
> use native-compilation, they should just disable compression of the
> *.el files at "make install" time.  So requiring zlib could be too
> drastic.

I see

> I will make the changes to fail native compilation if the *.el files
> are compressed, but zlib isn't available, and will write up something
> regarding the installation in that case.

Thanks

  Andrea