@ 2003-05-19 17:28 John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2003-05-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

When I load the vm mail reader version 7.15 I get fatal error number
6 -- aborting and it goes back to the shell prompt.  This is with the
latest cvs emacs (checked out this morning.)

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I attach the termscript file if this is of any use.

[-- Attachment #2: termscript --]

In GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2003-05-19 on ccs.covici.com
configured using `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs212''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

--
         John Covici
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: loading vm reader causes fatal error
@ 2003-05-21 17:38 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-05-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

John Covici wrote:

> When I load the vm mail reader version 7.15 I get fatal error number
> 6 -- aborting and it goes back to the shell prompt.  This is with the
> latest cvs emacs (checked out this morning.)

I get the same behaviour. The CVS from 18th May was OK, that from 19th
May is not. Here's the start of a backtrace:

#0  abort () at emacs.c:413
#1  0x080b0de7 in realize_default_face (f=0x8c6fa00) at xfaces.c:6597
#2  0x080b0c4b in realize_basic_faces (f=0x8c6fa00) at xfaces.c:6549
#3  0x080a8a36 in init_frame_faces (f=0x8c6fa00) at xfaces.c:909
#4  0x08058144 in make_terminal_frame () at frame.c:539
#5  0x080581ad in Fmake_terminal_frame (parms=405453316) at frame.c:574

It seems to be due to Richard's change in xfaces.c from 19th May.

I get the same crash if I do:

emacs -nw -q --no-site-file
M-x make-frame

So it's probably not a VM problem.

* Re: loading vm reader causes fatal error
@ 2003-05-21 21:32   ` John covici
From: John covici @ 2003-05-21 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Covici

Well, I can verify that at least with the cvs of May 18, vm has no
problems working.

Thanks Glenn for saving me a lot of work!

on Wednesday 05/21/2003 Glenn Morris(gmorris@ast.cam.ac.uk) wrote

@ 2003-05-23 12:04   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-05-23 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: covici

It looks like the crash is caused by the change below.  I put it in
because I got the impression that the lface was never newly created
here.  It seemed to have been created earlier.

This change can certainly be taken out, but before you do that, could
you determine in what case it happens that the lface for default is
not created earlier?

***************
*** 6590,6600 ****
    /* If the `default' face is not yet known, create it.  */
    lface = lface_from_face_name (f, Qdefault, 0);
    if (NILP (lface))
!     {
!       Lisp_Object frame;
!       XSETFRAME (frame, f);
!       lface = Finternal_make_lisp_face (Qdefault, frame);
!     }

  #ifdef HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM
    if (FRAME_WINDOW_P (f))
--- 6594,6600 ----
    /* If the `default' face is not yet known, create it.  */
    lface = lface_from_face_name (f, Qdefault, 0);
    if (NILP (lface))
!     abort ();

  #ifdef HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM
    if (FRAME_WINDOW_P (f))

* Re: loading vm reader causes fatal error
@ 2003-05-29 17:11     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-05-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> This change can certainly be taken out, but before you do that, could
> you determine in what case it happens that the lface for default is
> not created earlier?

I reverted the change, which certainly stops the reported problem.
I'm afraid I haven't got any time at the moment to look into why lface
is not getting set, but I will remember to do so when I can.