* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
       [not found] ` <C3DF7438-6174-48E2-95F5-92DE0EC410BB-d/oR9/Rhuc7WRYXM/atV4Q@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-12-09  9:38   ` Gürkan Sengün
From: Gürkan Sengün @ 2005-12-09  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Adrian Robert

Hello,

Adrian Robert has been working hard on the Emacs.app port for systems with
AppKit and FoundationKit:
http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/

For the curious and history:
1992 18.x http://www.linuks.mine.nu/openstep/emacs.png
2005 23.x http://gnu.ethz.ch/emacs.app.png

I am working on a Debian package and a http://livecd.gnustep.org to
get this graphical version of emacs.

Any help/suggestions on getting this into emacs mainstream source is welcome.
Please read the following mails for details.

Debian Emacs developers: i fully agree with Jörg here. is there any plans
for emacs 23.x based packages? how to split/where to put the stuff that
doesn't need be built for an arch?

It will be so great to have Emacs.app (with GNUstep) on Windows one day:
http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~sengun/GNUstep.Win.Gorm.gif

Cheers,
Gürkan

@ 2005-12-09 15:05     ` Kim F. Storm
       [not found]       ` <m3fyp2fh0h.fsf-9IXNcpgZyhujeBhujIvKY1pr/1R2p/CL@public.gmane.org>
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2005-12-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: debian-emacsen, emacs-devel, pkg-gnustep-maintainers,
	Adrian Robert

Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu> writes:

> For the curious and history:
> 1992 18.x http://www.linuks.mine.nu/openstep/emacs.png
> 2005 23.x http://gnu.ethz.ch/emacs.app.png

So your team will "release" emacs 23.x in 2005, while we didn't
even manage to release 22.x this year ...

Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...

@ 2005-12-09 15:12         ` Gürkan Sengün
From: Gürkan Sengün @ 2005-12-09 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Adrian Robert, emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ,
	pkg-gnustep-maintainers-XbBxUvOt3X2LieD7tvxI8l/i77bcL1HB,
	debian-emacsen-0aAXYlwwYIJuHlm7Suoebg

On 2005-12-09 16:05:02 +0100 Kim F. Storm <storm-zmuHNDg2uOg@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Gürkan Sengün <gurkan-2Ut+nkrRcIBypLqBFPtG/w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> For the curious and history:
>> 1992 18.x http://www.linuks.mine.nu/openstep/emacs.png
>> 2005 23.x http://gnu.ethz.ch/emacs.app.png
>
> So your team will "release" emacs 23.x in 2005, while we didn't
> even manage to release 22.x this year ...

That is Emacs.app 9rc2, and it is based on what is in cvs/svn of
emacs for the 23.x.

> Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...

I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.

* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
@ 2005-12-09 15:43           ` Henrik Enberg
       [not found]             ` <20051209154358.38E263FDA-3L8Eto5YLj8lht0CfKox3U+R8KrC4Sue@public.gmane.org>
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-12-09 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, debian-emacsen, emacs-devel, pkg-gnustep-maintainers,
	arobert

> > Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...
>
> I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.

Here's a useful comment.  Are you going to release an experimental
branch that's not considered stable enough to be in the Emacs trunk
as a stable program?

@ 2005-12-09 16:13               ` Gürkan Sengün
From: Gürkan Sengün @ 2005-12-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: arobert-d/oR9/Rhuc7WRYXM/atV4Q,
	debian-emacsen-0aAXYlwwYIJuHlm7Suoebg, emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ,
	pkg-gnustep-maintainers-XbBxUvOt3X2LieD7tvxI8l/i77bcL1HB,
	storm-zmuHNDg2uOg

On 2005-12-09 16:43:58 +0100 Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg-zq6IREYz3ykAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

>>> Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...
>>
>> I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.
>
> Here's a useful comment.  Are you going to release an experimental
> branch that's not considered stable enough to be in the Emacs trunk
> as a stable program?

it's just a question, but yes. i plan to release it on that
live cd that i mentioned.

@ 2005-12-09 16:26       ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2005-12-09 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gürkan Sengün, debian-emacsen, emacs-devel,
	pkg-gnustep-maintainers

On Dec 9, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu> writes:
>
>> For the curious and history:
>> 1992 18.x http://www.linuks.mine.nu/openstep/emacs.png
>> 2005 23.x http://gnu.ethz.ch/emacs.app.png
>
> So your team will "release" emacs 23.x in 2005, while we didn't
> even manage to release 22.x this year ...

Hi,

I'm probably to blame here -- I've been using the term "emacs-23" in
some places as a shorter, snappier alternative to "GNU emacs CVS,
unicode-2 branch", to indicate exactly what version of GNU Emacs
Emacs.app is based on.  I didn't intend for it to be misleading, or
suggest that emacs-23 is in any way due for release soon, or that
emacs-23 definitely WILL be based on the unicode-2 branch.  Maybe, to
avoid confusion, it's best to just drop use of the term "emacs 23"
completely for now?

I assume though that a Debian package for Emacs.app or any other
unicode-2 based version won't constitute "release" of GNU Emacs any
more than the existing package based on emacs CVS HEAD constitutes a
22.x release.

BTW, in response to Gürkan's original email, I wanted to point out
that Emacs.app is still a work-in-progress -- independently of the
state of CVS/Unicode-2 (which seems pretty good), there is much to be
done with keyboard input, toolbars, etc., all outlined here: http://
emacs-app.sourceforge.net/KNOWN-ISSUES.txt and here: http://emacs-
app.sourceforge.net/TODO.txt .  Nonetheless, Emacs.app is perfectly
serviceable as a daily editor under GNUstep and OS X right now, if
you don't need those functions.  It is, however, hard to build under
GNUstep, which is part of the reason for working on a Debian package.

thanks,
Adrian

@ 2005-12-09 16:35             ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2005-12-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gürkan Sengün, storm, debian-emacsen, emacs-devel,
	pkg-gnustep-maintainers

On Dec 9, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Henrik Enberg wrote:

>>> Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...
>>
>> I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.
>
> Here's a useful comment.  Are you going to release an experimental
> branch that's not considered stable enough to be in the Emacs trunk
> as a stable program?

Well, the notion of "stable" is relative.  We were looking by analogy
to the "emacs-snapshot' Debian package -- it's not based on a release
of GNU Emacs, but it's still a package.  Among unreleased code, the
unicode-2 branch of emacs is considered less stable than CVS head, I
suppose, but it's open to debate where the line for Debian should be
drawn.  Based on my own daily use of unicode-2, it's at least as
stable as Head was, say, a year or so ago (though maybe the Debian
snapshot package started more recently than that?), but I'm not sure
this is consistent with others' experience.  And I know some people
have said that unicode-2 is a little slower than head..

* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
@ 2005-12-09 19:33           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]             ` <ubqzqjcaw.fsf-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-09 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, arobert, emacs-devel, pkg-gnustep-maintainers,
	debian-emacsen

> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:12:03 +0100
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?G=FCrkan_Seng=FCn?= <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu>
> Cc: Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
> 	pkg-gnustep-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org,
> 	debian-emacsen@lists.debian.org
>
> > Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...
>
> I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.

If you continue to be rude like this, you won't hear anything at all.

@ 2005-12-09 19:50               ` Gürkan Sengün
From: Gürkan Sengün @ 2005-12-09 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: debian-emacsen-0aAXYlwwYIJuHlm7Suoebg,
	arobert-d/oR9/Rhuc7WRYXM/atV4Q, emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ,

On 2005-12-09 20:33:11 +0100 Eli Zaretskii <eliz-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:12:03 +0100
>>  From: =?iso-8859-1?q?G=FCrkan_Seng=FCn?= <gurkan-2Ut+nkrRcIBypLqBFPtG/w@public.gmane.org>
>> Cc: Adrian Robert <arobert-d/oR9/Rhuc7WRYXM/atV4Q@public.gmane.org>, emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org,
>> 	pkg-gnustep-maintainers-XbBxUvOt3X2LieD7tvxI8l/i77bcL1HB@public.gmane.org,
>> 	debian-emacsen-0aAXYlwwYIJuHlm7Suoebg@public.gmane.org
>>
>>> Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...
>>
>> I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.
>
> If you continue to be rude like this, you won't hear anything at all.

He started it by not having read the information i gave carefully.
What did he want to say anyways?

* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
@ 2005-12-09 19:54           ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-12-09 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, pkg-gnustep-maintainers, debian-emacsen

 > > So your team will "release" emacs 23.x in 2005, while we didn't
 > > even manage to release 22.x this year ...
 >
 > That is Emacs.app 9rc2, and it is based on what is in cvs/svn of
 > emacs for the 23.x.
 >
 > > Don't know whether I should put :-) or :-( here...
 >
 > I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.

The irony is intended as a reflection of Emacs development as much as
anything else.  If you're looking for help on this list, a more relaxed
approach would be more effective.

Nick

* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gürkan Sengün, pkg-gnustep-maintainers, emacs-devel,
	debian-emacsen, storm, Henrik Enberg

> Emacs, but it's still a package.  Among unreleased code, the  unicode-2
> branch of emacs is considered less stable than CVS head, I  suppose, but

Nitpick: you probably meant "CVS trunk" since every branch has a HEAD.

* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
@ 2005-12-09 21:15     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-09 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: arobert, emacs-devel, pkg-gnustep-maintainers, debian-emacsen

    Adrian Robert has been working hard on the Emacs.app port for systems with
    AppKit and FoundationKit:
    http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/

Does this work with GNUstep?  If so, that increases our desire to
install it.  But if it makes nontrivial changes in system-independent
files, we should do it after the Emacs 22 release.

* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
@ 2005-12-10  0:45                 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-10  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: debian-emacsen, pkg-gnustep-maintainers, emacs-devel, arobert,
	storm, Eli Zaretskii

Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu> writes:

> On 2005-12-09 20:33:11 +0100 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>>> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:12:03 +0100
>>>  From: =?iso-8859-1?q?G=FCrkan_Seng=FCn?= <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu>
>>> Cc: Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>>> 	pkg-gnustep-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org,
>>> 	debian-emacsen@lists.debian.org

>>> I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.
>> If you continue to be rude like this, you won't hear anything at
>> all.
>
> He started it by not having read the information i gave carefully.

I don't think that rude language is a useful aid to understanding, and
Kim certainly did not "start it", where "it" means anything close to
using four-letter words.  If you consider "not reading carefully" on
the part of Kim an equal offense to your choice of words, you either
have strange ideas of conduct, or you consider him quite less
deserving of respect than yourself.  Even if this happened to be the
case, letting it show is not conducive to further cooperation, and a
somewhat more diplomatic approach would seem more expedient.

> What did he want to say anyways?

It would appear to obvious to me after reading the information he gave
carefully, that he wanted to express his opinion that releasing
something from an unstable branch does not sound like the best idea.

If I were to adopt your standards of discussion, I should probably use
rude language for pointing out that I considered this obvious from
what Kim wrote.

* Re: emacs.app_9.0pre2-1_i386.changes REJECTED
@ 2005-12-10  8:41                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-10  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: arobert-d/oR9/Rhuc7WRYXM/atV4Q, emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ,
	storm-zmuHNDg2uOg,
	pkg-gnustep-maintainers-XbBxUvOt3X2LieD7tvxI8l/i77bcL1HB,
	debian-emacsen-0aAXYlwwYIJuHlm7Suoebg

> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:50:14 +0100
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?G=FCrkan_Seng=FCn?= <gurkan-2Ut+nkrRcIBypLqBFPtG/w@public.gmane.org>
> Cc: debian-emacsen-0aAXYlwwYIJuHlm7Suoebg@public.gmane.org, arobert-d/oR9/Rhuc7WRYXM/atV4Q@public.gmane.org,
> 	emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org,
> 	pkg-gnustep-maintainers-XbBxUvOt3X2LieD7tvxI8l/i77bcL1HB@public.gmane.org, storm-zmuHNDg2uOg@public.gmane.org
>
> On 2005-12-09 20:33:11 +0100 Eli Zaretskii <eliz-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> >> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:12:03 +0100
> >>  From: =?iso-8859-1?q?G=FCrkan_Seng=FCn?= <gurkan-2Ut+nkrRcIBypLqBFPtG/w@public.gmane.org>
> >> Cc: Adrian Robert <arobert-d/oR9/Rhuc7WRYXM/atV4Q@public.gmane.org>, emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org,
> >> 	pkg-gnustep-maintainers-XbBxUvOt3X2LieD7tvxI8l/i77bcL1HB@public.gmane.org,
> >> 	debian-emacsen-0aAXYlwwYIJuHlm7Suoebg@public.gmane.org

> >> I would rather like useful comments than shit like that.
> >
> > If you continue to be rude like this, you won't hear anything at all.
>
> He started it by not having read the information i gave carefully.
> What did he want to say anyways?

See the message from Nick: Kim didn't ``start'' anything, he was just
trying to be humorous about the time it takes us to release Emacs 22.