* Re: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
       [not found] ` <87fww040oi.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2010-10-21 16:14   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-21 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, rfrancoise, bugs, emacs-devel

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

>       (if (or report-emacs-bug-no-confirmation
>               (y-or-n-p "Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? "))

[...]

> Anyway, the typical scenario is the user is asked to submit a backtrace,
> and of course backtraces are full of nasty (useful, even?) binary mess
> characters, which triggers multiple question upon trying to send, some
> from the above, some from message.el.

Yeah, that seems really suboptimal, but I'm not sure what the fix should
be.  Converting everything to hex seems rather odd, since that would
make látin and unicode characters also be hexified, which is weird.

I think the right fix is to remove this question altogether from
emacsbug.el, and inhibit the "remove non-printable characters" query
from message.el.

Any objections?

* bug#7256: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
@ 2010-10-21 17:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-21 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bugs; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, jidanni, rfrancoise, bugs, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:14:21 +0200
> Cc: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, rfrancoise@debian.org, bugs@gnus.org,
> 	emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Yeah, that seems really suboptimal, but I'm not sure what the fix should
> be.  Converting everything to hex seems rather odd, since that would
> make látin and unicode characters also be hexified, which is weird.

I think the right fix for control characters below 32 is to convert
them to the ^X ASCII representation.

* Re: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
@ 2010-10-21 18:42       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, jidanni, rfrancoise, bugs, emacs-devel

> I think the right fix for control characters below 32 is to convert
> them to the ^X ASCII representation.

I'm not sure I'd agree enough to make it a promptless default.

* Re: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-21 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

>> I think the right fix for control characters below 32 is to convert
>> them to the ^X ASCII representation.
>
> I'm not sure I'd agree enough to make it a promptless default.

I think it might make sense for the bug reports, but I think that (in
general) there's no point in doing any conversion of anything.  I mean,
the mail will be encoded with a proper transfer encoding when sending,
won't it?

Unless one of the sending methods used by emacsbugs doesn't encode
anything.

* Re: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
@ 2010-10-21 20:32           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-21 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> I think the right fix for control characters below 32 is to convert
>>> them to the ^X ASCII representation.
>> I'm not sure I'd agree enough to make it a promptless default.
> I think it might make sense for the bug reports, but I think that (in
> general) there's no point in doing any conversion of anything.  I mean,
> the mail will be encoded with a proper transfer encoding when sending,
> won't it?

Yes.  And if not, then it's a separate problem.

* Re: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
@ 2010-10-21 21:26             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-21 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Yes.  And if not, then it's a separate problem.

So you're fine with just removing the "encode in hex" question?

* Re: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
@ 2010-10-22  3:22               ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-22  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Yes.  And if not, then it's a separate problem.
> So you're fine with just removing the "encode in hex" question?

Not sure I understand, but I'm fine with sending random bytes, without
removing them first and without asking the user, yes.  We can either
assume they'll get QP or base64 encoded down the line or that it doesn't
matter.

* Re: Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? vs control chars.
@ 2010-10-22  7:44                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-22  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 23:22:24 -0400
>
> I'm fine with sending random bytes, without removing them first and
> without asking the user, yes.  We can either assume they'll get QP
> or base64 encoded down the line or that it doesn't matter.

FWIW, for me a bug report encoded in base64 is a non-starter.  Even qp
is a turn-off.  But that's me.