* [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-08 17:40 Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2003-01-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is it?
===========

XSLT-process is a mode for GNU Emacs/XEmacs which transforms it into a
powerful editor with XSLT processing and debugging capabilities. With
this mode you can:

- run an XSLT processor on the Emacs buffer you edit, and view the
results either in another Emacs buffer or in a browser.

- run an XSLT processor in debug mode and view what happens during the
XSLT transformation. You can set breakpoints, run step by step into
your stylesheet, view global and local XSLT variables and many more. In
this mode you effectively use GNU Emacs/XEmacs as an XSLT debugger.

- when used with the DocBook-XSL package, GNU Emacs/XEmacs becomes a
powerful DocBook processing system.

Currently the Saxon and Xalan Java XSLT processors, and Apache FOP are
supported, and the mode comes out of the box configured to use them.

The package has been tested with various versions of XEmacs and GNU
Emacs under Linux, Windows 2000 and MacOS X.

The package is free software and is distributed under GPL. The home
page of XSLT-process is located at:

http://xslt-process.sourceforge.net/

What's new?
===========

This release adds several improvements to the previous release:

- XSLT-process now uses Saxon 6.5.2, Xalan 2.4.1 and FOP 0.20.4

- Debugging using Xalan 2.4.1 is now fully supported.

- Both JDK 1.3 and 1.4 are supported.

- During debugging sessions the output produced by executing the
stylesheet is serialized immediately, then displayed and incrementally
updated in an Emacs buffer.

- Added parameter passing to the XSLT processor. These are parameters
that are specified to all the stylesheets, in addition to any other
parameters. They are specified through the customization menu.

- Logging output, error messages, etc. generated by the FOP processor
are displayed in the *Messages* buffer. The level of logging can be
customized.

- Improvements to the display of information during debugging.

- MacOS X is now a supported platform, in addition to Linux and Windows
2000.

Enjoy,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@apache.org>
http://webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-09 23:13 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-09 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    - Both JDK 1.3 and 1.4 are supported.

JDK is not free software.  Can XSLT-process work with a free Java
platform instead?

(How does Java relate to this, anyway?)

    - MacOS X is now a supported platform, in addition to Linux and Windows
    2000.

Windows is a platform, but Linux is just a kernel.  The platform you
are thinking of is basically the GNU system, plus Linux.  Would you
please call this platform "GNU/Linux", not just "Linux"?  The GNU
Project needs to get credit for its work, in order to recruit
people to work with it now.

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html for more explanation.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-10  2:21   ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2003-01-10  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thursday, Jan 9, 2003, at 15:13 US/Pacific, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     - Both JDK 1.3 and 1.4 are supported.
>
> JDK is not free software.  Can XSLT-process work with a free Java
> platform instead?

I haven't tested this. If the free Java platform has the necessary
support, I don't see any problem for Java portion of XSLT-process to
run on it.

> (How does Java relate to this, anyway?)

Emacs acts as a front-end for the XSLT debugger written for the Saxon
and Xalan XSLT processors. Pretty much like how Emacs is a front-end
for debuggers like GDB or other proprietary debuggers.

>     - MacOS X is now a supported platform, in addition to Linux and
> Windows
>     2000.
>
> Windows is a platform, but Linux is just a kernel.  The platform you
> are thinking of is basically the GNU system, plus Linux.  Would you
> please call this platform "GNU/Linux", not just "Linux"?  The GNU
> Project needs to get credit for its work, in order to recruit
> people to work with it now.
>
> See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html for more explanation.

Yes, I know about this distinction. I'm sorry for the misuse of the
word, I'll be more careful in the future.

Best regards,
Ovidiu
--
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=&q=ovidiu

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-11  0:21     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-11  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > JDK is not free software.  Can XSLT-process work with a free Java
    > platform instead?

    I haven't tested this. If the free Java platform has the necessary
    support, I don't see any problem for Java portion of XSLT-process to
    run on it.

That's exactly the question--do any free Java platforms have the
necessary support?

What Java features does the Java portion of XSLT-process need?

The free Java platforms support only part of what JDK supports.  We
cannot assume that any given Java program will run on them.  The only
way to find out is to try it.  Could you possibly try it and see?

    > (How does Java relate to this, anyway?)

    Emacs acts as a front-end for the XSLT debugger written for the Saxon
    and Xalan XSLT processors.

Unfortunately, I now know no more than before.  Which part of this is
a Java program?  Did you write the Java program?  What is its name?

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-11 20:58       ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2003-01-11 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Friday, Jan 10, 2003, at 16:21 US/Pacific, Richard Stallman wrote:

>> JDK is not free software.  Can XSLT-process work with a free Java
>> platform instead?
>
>     I haven't tested this. If the free Java platform has the necessary
>     support, I don't see any problem for Java portion of XSLT-process
>     run on it.
>
> That's exactly the question--do any free Java platforms have the
> necessary support?
>
> What Java features does the Java portion of XSLT-process need?

The Java portion of the code exercises primarily almost all the non-UI
related classes in JDK, which should be fine for the free software
implementations of the JDK.

> The free Java platforms support only part of what JDK supports.  We
> cannot assume that any given Java program will run on them.  The only
> way to find out is to try it.  Could you possibly try it and see?

Unfortunately right now I don't have enough spare time to work on
testing this, but I'll put it on my list of things to do. If anybody is
interested in testing this out, I'd be more than happy to support them.

>> (How does Java relate to this, anyway?)
>
>     Emacs acts as a front-end for the XSLT debugger written for the
> Saxon
>     and Xalan XSLT processors.
>
> Unfortunately, I now know no more than before.  Which part of this is
> a Java program?  Did you write the Java program?  What is its name?

XSLT is a language for processing XML data input. An XSLT processor is
an implementation of an interpreter for this language. Saxon and Xalan
are two implementations of such interpreters written by Michael Kay and
various Apache contributors respectively. XSLT-process is composed of
two portions. The first portion is a Java program that hooks up with
Saxon and Xalan to provide a command line debugger interface, very
similar to how a C/C++ debugger works. The second portion is written in
Emacs Lisp and provides a visual interface to the command line
debugger. Both these portions were written by me and another
contributor.

Best regards,
--

@ 2003-01-15  6:14     ` Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)
From: Kevin A. Burton (burtonator) @ 2003-01-15  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@apache.org> writes:

> On Thursday, Jan 9, 2003, at 15:13 US/Pacific, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> >     - Both JDK 1.3 and 1.4 are supported.
> >
> > JDK is not free software.  Can XSLT-process work with a free Java
> > platform instead?
<snip/>

I would bet good money that Xalan will not compile on GCJ.  It might require
some modifications to get working.  I wanted to spend some time documenting the
difference between GCJ and JDK 1.4 and will do that in a month or so when I port
over NewsMonster.

Kevin

--
Kevin A. Burton ( burton@apache.org, burton@openprivacy.org, burton@peerfear.org )
           AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/

Indeed, on May 17 2001 the Bush administration provided a gift of $43 million
to the Taliban in reward for the destruction of Afghanistan's opium poppy
agricultural industry as part of America's war on drugs. In addition to being an
extremely repressive regieme, the Taliban was already known to be sheltering the
terrorist Osama bin Laden at the time. His group al-Qaida is suspected of having
ties to the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 1998 American embassy bombings
in Africa, and the attack on the American destroyer USS Cole in Yemen in 2000 .

 http:///www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism.html

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-17  5:15         ` Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)
From: Kevin A. Burton (burtonator) @ 2003-01-17  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I would bet good money that Xalan will not compile on GCJ.  It might
>     require some modifications to get working.  I wanted to spend some time
>     documenting the difference between GCJ and JDK 1.4 and will do that in a
>     month or so when I port over NewsMonster.
>
> Is anyone interested in trying Xalan in GCJ and seeing if it does work?
>
> We can't consider XSLT-process as a legitimate part of the free software world
> if it needs JDK to run.  Fixing this ought to be the highest priority.

Give me a little time... it is on my list of things to do but I need about 3-4
weeks to get around to it.

Getting Xalan working on GCJ and a Free Software environment is of high priority
for me too.  Very high priority...

Kevin

--
Kevin A. Burton ( burton@apache.org, burton@openprivacy.org, burton@peerfear.org )
           AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
        GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D
         IRC - openprojects.net #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers | #reptile

No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-17  6:12             ` Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)
From: Kevin A. Burton (burtonator) @ 2003-01-17  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

> burton@openprivacy.org (Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)) writes:
>
> > Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > >     I would bet good money that Xalan will not compile on GCJ.  It might
> > >     require some modifications to get working.  I wanted to spend some time
> > >     documenting the difference between GCJ and JDK 1.4 and will do that in a
> > >     month or so when I port over NewsMonster.
> > >
> > > Is anyone interested in trying Xalan in GCJ and seeing if it does work?
> > >
> > > We can't consider XSLT-process as a legitimate part of the free software world
> > > if it needs JDK to run.  Fixing this ought to be the highest priority.
> >
> > Give me a little time... it is on my list of things to do but I need about 3-4
> > weeks to get around to it.
> >
> > Getting Xalan working on GCJ and a Free Software environment is of high priority
> > for me too.  Very high priority...
>
> Out of interest: Why aren't you just using libxml/libxslt from the GNU
> project?
<snip/>

A number of reasons... Xalan and Xerces are literally the best XML/XSLT impls I
have ever played with.  They also support an advanced plugin/extension API and I
can do really amazing things with them under Java.

As is the case Java is not Free Software which makes the situation bad.  For a
while there I was taking a balanced approach (this was a decision I made 5 years
ago btw) and I think it is the perfect example of why people should NEVER use
non-free software.

My current goals are to move go GCJ and encourage SUN to do the right thing when
it comes to Java and make it Free Software.

This is a *big* move for me as I have use a lot of the libraries under Jakarta
(I used to be a fulltime developer there) and a lot of them require code from
the standard JDK.

Of course part of my migration to GCJ is going to be working on the stdlib so
that I can compile complex appls like Xalan on GCJ.

Kevin

--
Kevin A. Burton ( burton@apache.org, burton@openprivacy.org, burton@peerfear.org )
           AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
        GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D
         IRC - openprojects.net #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers | #reptile

Whenever there is a conflict between human rights and property rights, human
rights must prevail.
  -- Abraham Lincoln

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-17 15:18                 ` Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)
From: Kevin A. Burton (burtonator) @ 2003-01-17 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:
> > Of course part of my migration to GCJ is going to be working on the stdlib so
> > that I can compile complex appls like Xalan on GCJ.
>
> Remember that GNU has the ClasspathX project which has the GNU-JAXP
> implementation. We don't yet have XSLT but I plan to write a GNU-JAXP
> wrapper (assuming GCJ) for libxslt.
<snip/>

Huh?!

You can't write a JAXP impl for XSLT because it is only for XML parsers not XSLT
engines.

You are thinking of TRaX not JAXP...

TRaX is for libxslt but I don't know if there is an impl.

It isn't a big deal.  I could write a TRaX impl in like 5 minutes.

Actually the Xalan impl has TRaX under BSD license (Free Software just not
copyleft).

This is one of the good things about the Jakarta project.  While it isn't
Copyleft it is still Free Software.

Kevin

--
Kevin A. Burton ( burton@apache.org, burton@openprivacy.org, burton@peerfear.org )
           AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
        GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D
         IRC - openprojects.net #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers | #reptile

. . . . . . . The Clinton administration would like the Federal government
to have the capability to read any international or domestic computer
communications. The FBI wants access to decode, digest, and discuss
financial transactions, personal e-mail, and proprietary information sent
abroad -- all in the name of national security.

. . . . This proposed policy raises obvious concerns about Americans' privacy,
in addition to tampering with the competitive advantage that our U.S. software
companies currently enjoy in the field of encryption technology. Not only would
Big Brother be looming over the shoulders of international cyber-surfers, but
the administration threatens to render our state-of-the-art computer software
engineers obsolete and unemployed.  - John (Hypocrite) Ashcroft - Circa 1990s

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-18  0:47       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-18  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2003-01-18  1:51           ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2003-01-18  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

burton@openprivacy.org (Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)) writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >     I would bet good money that Xalan will not compile on GCJ.  It might
> >     require some modifications to get working.  I wanted to spend some time
> >     documenting the difference between GCJ and JDK 1.4 and will do that in a
> >     month or so when I port over NewsMonster.
> >
> > Is anyone interested in trying Xalan in GCJ and seeing if it does work?
> >
> > We can't consider XSLT-process as a legitimate part of the free software world
> > if it needs JDK to run.  Fixing this ought to be the highest priority.
>
> Give me a little time... it is on my list of things to do but I need about 3-4
> weeks to get around to it.
>
> Getting Xalan working on GCJ and a Free Software environment is of high priority
> for me too.  Very high priority...

Out of interest: Why aren't you just using libxml/libxslt from the GNU
project?

Nic

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-18  2:28               ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2003-01-18  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2003-01-18  4:58           ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2003-01-18  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thursday, Jan 16, 2003, at 21:15 US/Pacific, Kevin A. Burton
(burtonator) wrote:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     I would bet good money that Xalan will not compile on GCJ.  It
>> might
>>     require some modifications to get working.  I wanted to spend
>> some time
>>     documenting the difference between GCJ and JDK 1.4 and will do
>> that in a
>>     month or so when I port over NewsMonster.
>>
>> Is anyone interested in trying Xalan in GCJ and seeing if it does
>> work?
>>
>> We can't consider XSLT-process as a legitimate part of the free
>> software world
>> if it needs JDK to run.  Fixing this ought to be the highest priority.
>
> Give me a little time... it is on my list of things to do but I need
> about 3-4
> weeks to get around to it.
>
> Getting Xalan working on GCJ and a Free Software environment is of
> high priority
> for me too.  Very high priority...

This would be really great, Kevin! Please let us know the developments
on this.

Regards,
Ovidiu

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-19  1:36           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-19  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Getting Xalan working on GCJ and a Free Software environment is of
    high priority for me too.  Very high priority...

This is good news--now I am confident the job will get done
in a matter of months, which is quick.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-19  5:42         ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2003-01-19  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin A. Burton burtonator, emacs-devel@gnu.org

Richard,

On Friday, Jan 17, 2003, at 16:47 US/Pacific, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     I would bet good money that Xalan will not compile on GCJ.  It
>     might require some modifications to get working.  I wanted to
>     spend some time documenting the difference between GCJ and JDK 1.4
>     and will do that in a month or so when I port over NewsMonster.
>
> Is anyone interested in trying Xalan in GCJ and seeing if it does work?
>
> We can't consider XSLT-process as a legitimate part of the free
> software world if it needs JDK to run.  Fixing this ought to be the
> highest priority.

You also have to realize XSLT-process depends on open-source software,
but not free-software. Xalan and Saxon are not licensed under L/GPL,
but under their own open-source licenses. JDK is just one part of the
story, the other is composed of Xalan, Saxon, and other XML related
libraries used by XSLT-process which have their own licenses.

XSLT-process can download these non-GPL libraries when it first runs,
to keep the package small and completely free-software. Or if their
license is not a problem, we can just leave things as they are now.
What do you think?

Best regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@apache.org>
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=&q=ovidiu (I'm feeling lucky)

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-20  0:50           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-20  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    You also have to realize XSLT-process depends on open-source software,
    but not free-software.

Program that are open-source but not free are very rare.
This could be a misunderstanding.  Could you show us the licenses
of some of these programs, so we can check if they are free
software licenses?

(You can also check for yourself--see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html and
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-20 15:54             ` md5i
From: md5i @ 2003-01-20 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     You also have to realize XSLT-process depends on open-source software,
>     but not free-software.
>
> Program that are open-source but not free are very rare.
> This could be a misunderstanding.  Could you show us the licenses
> of some of these programs, so we can check if they are free
> software licenses?
>
> (You can also check for yourself--see
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html and
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).

The Apache XML Project page says that their code is released under the
ASF Source Code License, which appears to be the Apache Software
License.  This makes it a free software license, but incompatible
with the GNU GPL.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@cs.cmu.edu)

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-20 16:40               ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2003-01-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Monday, Jan 20, 2003, at 07:54 US/Pacific, md5i@cs.cmu.edu wrote:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     You also have to realize XSLT-process depends on open-source
>> software,
>>     but not free-software.
>>
>> Program that are open-source but not free are very rare.
>> This could be a misunderstanding.  Could you show us the licenses
>> of some of these programs, so we can check if they are free
>> software licenses?
>>
>> (You can also check for yourself--see
>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html and
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).
>
> The Apache XML Project page says that their code is released under the
> ASF Source Code License, which appears to be the Apache Software
> License.  This makes it a free software license, but incompatible
> with the GNU GPL.

Thanks for the clarification, Michael. This is exactly what I was
referring to by making the distinction between the two licenses.

Most of the code used by XSLT-process is released under ASL, while
Saxon and its components are released under MPL and a BSD-like license:

http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.2/conditions.html

I don't have any problem with such licenses, but they may create a
problem if we try to incorporate them as part of Emacs.

Best regards,
Ovidiu

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-20 20:08                 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-01-20 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: md5i

Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@apache.org> writes:

> I don't have any problem with such licenses, but they may create a
> problem if we try to incorporate them as part of Emacs.

I don't think there is any plan to incorporate them, only to
interface to them externally. The real problem is that these free
libraries cannot currently be used without a non-free JRE.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-21 18:18                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: md5i

    I don't have any problem with such licenses, but they may create a
    problem if we try to incorporate them as part of Emacs.

The ASF-licensed code cannot be linked with GPL-covered code
such as Emacs.  However, it would seem to be very undesirable
on technical grounds to actually link them, even if there
were no license issue.

But it is ok for the programs to communicate through files, etc.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-22  7:29                   ` Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)
From: Kevin A. Burton (burtonator) @ 2003-01-22  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: md5i

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I don't have any problem with such licenses, but they may create a
>     problem if we try to incorporate them as part of Emacs.
>
> The ASF-licensed code cannot be linked with GPL-covered code such as Emacs.
> However, it would seem to be very undesirable on technical grounds to actually
> link them, even if there were no license issue.
<snip/>

Richard... I have asked you about this before and you have told me that the
modern APL style license is compatible with the GPL.

Is this no longer true?

We discussed this about a year ago and at the time I was told that the APL and
GPL are now compatible.

Is this due to the advertising clause?

Kevin

--
Kevin A. Burton ( burton@apache.org, burton@openprivacy.org, burton@peerfear.org )
           AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
        GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D
         IRC - openprojects.net #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers | #reptile

And the beast shall come forth surrounded by a roiling cloud of vengeance. The
house of the unbelievers shall be razed and they shall be scorched to the
earth. Their tags shall blink until the end of days.
    - from The Book of Mozilla, 12:10

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-24  1:18 Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2003-01-24  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: burton

Hi,

I happened to read this message on the emacs-devel web-archive (but
don't normally follow emacs-devel. Since I am one of the GNU Classpath
developers (the core java libraries also used by gcj) I might be able to
help with getting your programs working with gcj or another free java
environment.

> This is a *big* move for me as I have use a lot of the libraries under Jakarta
> (I used to be a fulltime developer there) and a lot of them require code from
> the standard JDK.
>
> Of course part of my migration to GCJ is going to be working on the stdlib so
> that I can compile complex appls like Xalan on GCJ.

Please take a look at the RHUG project setup by Athony Green (another
gcj hacker). <http://sources.redhat.com/rhug/>
RHUG contains versions of a lot of free java packages adapted to work
out of the box in a GNU environment using automake, autoconf, libtool
and gcj to create precompiled shared libraries and standalone programs.
It already contains a couple of the Jakarta packages such as the XML
processing packages Xalan-Java and Xerces2-J.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
@ 2003-01-25 19:22 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-25 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I happened to read this message on the emacs-devel web-archive (but
    don't normally follow emacs-devel. Since I am one of the GNU Classpath
    developers (the core java libraries also used by gcj) I might be able to
    help with getting your programs working with gcj or another free java
    environment.

Thanks very much for stepping forward to do this.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-25 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: md5i

    Richard... I have asked you about this before and you have told me that the
    modern APL style license is compatible with the GPL.

I am not sure what a "modern APL style license" means.  If that refers
to the Apache license, no version of that in recent years has been
compatible with the GPL.  It is most unlikely I would have said that
it was compatible; most likely there was some sort of misunderstanding.