* MacOSX installation suggestions.
@ 2003-01-05 12:26 Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-01-05 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

In the mac/INSTALL file it says twice that make install must be made as
root.  This is an error, I have never done make install as root, and
if you just have write permission, this works fine (as it does with
the other Emacs configurations).  I dont think documentation casually
should require you to be root to install things, when no such
requirement exists.  It discurages the installation of Emacs under
your own user.  I would change that to "make install requires that
you have write permission in the destination directories" or something
like that.  Or not write anything at all.

I do think make install should install Emacs.app also.  Now one has to
manually copy it after make install.  It doesn't seem right that make
install doesn't install everything.

Thanks,

	Jan D.

* Re: MacOSX installation suggestions.
@ 2003-01-06  7:21 ` Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2003-01-06  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 04:26  AM, Jan D. wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In the mac/INSTALL file it says twice that make install must be made as
> root.  This is an error, I have never done make install as root, and
> if you just have write permission, this works fine (as it does with
> the other Emacs configurations).  I dont think documentation casually
> should require you to be root to install things, when no such
> requirement exists.  It discurages the installation of Emacs under
> your own user.  I would change that to "make install requires that
> you have write permission in the destination directories" or something
> like that.  Or not write anything at all.

It depends on the configuration.  If the configuration is to place it
into /usr/local, then the correct permissions are there.  However on my
machine, the non-root user doesn't have permission to write into
/usr/share, which would cause the installation to fail.  Moreover,
installing into /usr is probably not the best idea because Apple's
system updates have a nasty habit of overwriting them (as it did
between 10.1 and 10.2).

The point is taken.  I will point out that if installing into /usr (or
possibly some other directory), one might need to use sudo.  I'll also
document the suggestion about not using /usr.

> I do think make install should install Emacs.app also.  Now one has to
> manually copy it after make install.  It doesn't seem right that make
> install doesn't install everything.

Makes sense.  I just put in some changes to get the Application to
build in a separate directory, so having it install into /Application
would be nice (and pretty much done); it would make the make-package
script a little easier.

What do people think about placing this mac-specfic stuff in a new
Makefile in the mac/ directory v placing it in the src/ directory?  I
was just going to place it in the src directory because it's not large
enough to justify all the configuration changes needed (unless there
are volunteers).

-Steven

* Re: MacOSX installation suggestions.
@ 2003-01-06 11:07   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-01-06 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> The point is taken.  I will point out that if installing into /usr (or
> possibly some other directory), one might need to use sudo.  I'll also
> document the suggestion about not using /usr.

Thanks.

>> I do think make install should install Emacs.app also.  Now one has to
>> manually copy it after make install.  It doesn't seem right that make
>> install doesn't install everything.
>
> Makes sense.  I just put in some changes to get the Application to build
> in a separate directory, so having it install into /Application would be
> nice (and pretty much done); it would make the make-package script a
> little easier.

I would like to suggest a separate configure option, that defaults to
/Application (--appdir?).  If doing a build and install as a regular
user, one probably don't wan't it in /Application.

> What do people think about placing this mac-specfic stuff in a new
> Makefile in the mac/ directory v placing it in the src/ directory?  I was
> just going to place it in the src directory because it's not large enough
> to justify all the configuration changes needed (unless there are
> volunteers).

Would a make in src call the Makefile in the mac directory?

@ 2003-01-06 21:51 ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2003-01-06 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> In the mac/INSTALL file it says twice that make install must be made as
> root.  This is an error, I have never done make install as root, and
> if you just have write permission, this works fine (as it does with
> the other Emacs configurations).  I dont think documentation casually
> should require you to be root to install things, when no such
> requirement exists.  It discurages the installation of Emacs under
> your own user.  I would change that to "make install requires that
> you have write permission in the destination directories" or something
> like that.  Or not write anything at all.

A more precise description is always desirable.  Please feel free to
modify mac/INSTALL.

> I do think make install should install Emacs.app also.  Now one has to
> manually copy it after make install.  It doesn't seem right that make
> install doesn't install everything.

Where should Emacs.app be put?  Should this location be a new parameter
to `configure'?  Not everyone would want to put it in /Applications or
want to copy it at all.

* Re: MacOSX installation suggestions.
@ 2003-01-07  5:52     ` Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2003-01-07  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 03:07  AM, Jan D. wrote:
> I would like to suggest a separate configure option, that defaults to
> /Application (--appdir?).  If doing a build and install as a regular
> user, one probably don't wan't it in /Application.

I just checked it in.

The option is --enable-carbon-app with the default directory as
/Application.  It takes an optional argument as the directory, so you
could
./configure --enable-carbon-app=$HOME/Applications

-Steven

* Re: MacOSX installation suggestions.
@ 2003-01-07 17:54       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-01-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I just checked it in.
>
> The option is --enable-carbon-app with the default directory as
> /Application.  It takes an optional argument as the directory, so you
> could
> ./configure --enable-carbon-app=$HOME/Applications

Works great.  The configure was not updated though.  It was not updated for
the previous change either (Check for nl_langinfo).

I updated it and checked it in.

Thanks,

	Jan D.