* new faces
@ 2014-03-24 20:26 Bois Francois-Xavier
From: Bois Francois-Xavier @ 2014-03-24 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would you accept to add new faces that could be useful to some major modes ?

I am thinking of

font-lock-tag-name-face
font-lock-tag-bracket-face
font-lock-attr-name-face
font-lock-attr-value-face

and also

font-lock-symbol-face

I am the author of web-mode.el and think that inheriting from those faces
would provide better defaults for users of those modes.

It would also ease the work of theme maintainers.

Regards

fx

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-24 20:32 ` Dov Grobgeld
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2014-03-24 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bois Francois-Xavier; +Cc: emacs-devel

I would love to see a "full coverage" of faces in programming language
modes. I.e. to be able to overload the default font completely for all
syntactic elemetns. This would solve the problem that it is not possible to
use a variable pitch font for the flowing text in org-mode while viewing
embedded programming code in a fixed pitched font.

Regards,
Dov

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Bois Francois-Xavier <fxbois@gmail.com>wrote:

> Would you accept to add new faces that could be useful to some major modes
> ?
>
> I am thinking of
>
> font-lock-tag-name-face
> font-lock-tag-bracket-face
> font-lock-attr-name-face
> font-lock-attr-value-face
>
> and also
>
> font-lock-symbol-face
>
> I am the author of web-mode.el and think that inheriting from those faces
> would provide better defaults for users of those modes.
>
> It would also ease the work of theme maintainers.
>
> Regards
>
> fx

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-24 20:48 ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2014-03-24 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bois Francois-Xavier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> font-lock-tag-name-face
> font-lock-tag-bracket-face

These seem very HTML specific, so not really appropriate for font-lock-*-face.

> font-lock-attr-name-face

This one probably corresponds to "argument names", so in Lisp it could
be used for keyword symbols.  IOW I'm OK with adding such a face.

> font-lock-attr-value-face

AFAIK an attribute value is an expression, so I'm not sure why we'd want
to give it a special face.  I guess it's another way to say that this is
also too HTML-specific to make much sense for font-lock-*-face.

> font-lock-symbol-face

I have no idea what this one is, neither for HTML nor for any other mode.

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-24 21:08   ` Bois Francois-Xavier
From: Bois Francois-Xavier @ 2014-03-24 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > font-lock-tag-name-face
> > font-lock-tag-bracket-face
>
> These seem very HTML specific, so not really appropriate for font-lock-*-face.

I am thinking of markdown, apache-mode, wiki/ini-mode, org-mode (not
sure for this one), and of course all the xml/html modes

> > font-lock-attr-name-face
>
> This one probably corresponds to "argument names", so in Lisp it could
> be used for keyword symbols.  IOW I'm OK with adding such a face.
>
> > font-lock-attr-value-face
>
> AFAIK an attribute value is an expression, so I'm not sure why we'd want
> to give it a special face.  I guess it's another way to say that this is
> also too HTML-specific to make much sense for font-lock-*-face.
>
> > font-lock-symbol-face
>
> I have no idea what this one is, neither for HTML nor for any other mode.

I was thinking of this kind of syntax (with js or ruby)

{symbolX: "aa", symbolY: 123}

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-24 21:31     ` Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2014-03-24 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bois Francois-Xavier; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

On Monday, March 24, 2014, Bois Francois-Xavier <fxbois@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > font-lock-tag-name-face
> > > font-lock-tag-bracket-face
> >
> > These seem very HTML specific, so not really appropriate for
> font-lock-*-face.
> >

> I am thinking of markdown, apache-mode, wiki/ini-mode, org-mode (not
> sure for this one), and of course all the xml/html modes
>

> > > font-lock-attr-name-face
> >
> > This one probably corresponds to "argument names", so in Lisp it could
> > be used for keyword symbols.  IOW I'm OK with adding such a face.
> >
> > > font-lock-attr-value-face
> >
> > AFAIK an attribute value is an expression, so I'm not sure why we'd want
> > to give it a special face.  I guess it's another way to say that this is
> > also too HTML-specific to make much sense for font-lock-*-face.
> >
> > > font-lock-symbol-face
> >
> > I have no idea what this one is, neither for HTML nor for any other mode.
>
> I was thinking of this kind of syntax (with js or ruby)
>
> {symbolX: "aa", symbolY: 123}

Can be used for Lisp's keyword type (:something) as well.

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-24 21:51   ` Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2014-03-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan, Bois Francois-Xavier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 03/24/2014 01:48 PM, Stefan wrote:
>> font-lock-tag-name-face
>> font-lock-tag-bracket-face
>
> These seem very HTML specific, so not really appropriate for font-lock-*-face.

Lots and lots and lots of things embed some kind of HTML, SGML, or XML
though. Unifying the faces used for these constructs would be nice.

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-25  1:23     ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2014-03-25  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bois Francois-Xavier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > font-lock-tag-name-face
>> > font-lock-tag-bracket-face
>> These seem very HTML specific, so not really appropriate for
>> font-lock-*-face.
> I am thinking of markdown, apache-mode, wiki/ini-mode, org-mode (not
> sure for this one), and of course all the xml/html modes

But in these modes, "tags" are really what we usually call "keywords" in
traditional programming modes.  I.e. there's already
font-lock-keyword-face for that.

>> > font-lock-attr-name-face
>> This one probably corresponds to "argument names", so in Lisp it could
>> be used for keyword symbols.  IOW I'm OK with adding such a face.
[...]
>> > font-lock-symbol-face
>> I have no idea what this one is, neither for HTML nor for any other mode.
> I was thinking of this kind of syntax (with js or ruby)
> {symbolX: "aa", symbolY: 123}

How is this different from font-lock-attr-name-face?

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-25  1:25     ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2014-03-25  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Colascione; +Cc: Bois Francois-Xavier, emacs-devel

>>> font-lock-tag-name-face
>>> font-lock-tag-bracket-face
>> These seem very HTML specific, so not really appropriate for
>> font-lock-*-face.
> Lots and lots and lots of things embed some kind of HTML, SGML, or XML
> though.  Unifying the faces used for these constructs would be nice.

I guess it could be OK, then, but I'd like to see examples of existing
faces (ideally in Emacs's bundled packages, but also in external
packages) that could inherit from the above two.

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-25  7:26       ` Bois Francois-Xavier
From: Bois Francois-Xavier @ 2014-03-25  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan; +Cc: Daniel Colascione, emacs-devel

> I guess it could be OK, then, but I'd like to see examples of existing
> faces (ideally in Emacs's bundled packages, but also in external
> packages) that could inherit from the above two.

in my case (web-mode.el)

font-lock-tag-name-face :
web-mode-html-tag-face , web-mode-html-tag-custom-face,
web-mode-current-element-highlight-face

font-lock-tag-bracket-face :
web-mode-html-tag-bracket-face, web-mode-html-attr-equal-face

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-25  7:29       ` Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2014-03-25  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan; +Cc: Bois Francois-Xavier, emacs-devel

On 03/24/2014 06:25 PM, Stefan wrote:
>>> These seem very HTML specific, so not really appropriate for
>>> font-lock-*-face.
>> Lots and lots and lots of things embed some kind of HTML, SGML, or XML
>> though.  Unifying the faces used for these constructs would be nice.
>
> I guess it could be OK, then, but I'd like to see examples of existing
> faces (ideally in Emacs's bundled packages, but also in external
> packages) that could inherit from the above two.

Besides nxml-mode and sgml-mode, of course? I should mention php-mode
too. (Speaking of which: it'd be really nice to get a php mode into
Emacs. It's an extremely popular language.)

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-25 10:09   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-03-25 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ

Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> I would love to see a "full coverage" of faces in programming language
> modes. I.e. to be able to overload the default font completely for all
> syntactic elemetns. This would solve the problem that it is not possible to
> use a variable pitch font for the flowing text in org-mode while viewing
> embedded programming code in a fixed pitched font.

There is normally `org-default' for the "flowing text", as you call it.

So that one could be different from `default' used in code blocks, no?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-25 10:25     ` Dov Grobgeld
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2014-03-25 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sorry, unfortunately it doesn't work. According to the `what-face` routine
from:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1242352/get-font-face-under-cursor-in-emacs

there are "no faces" under the "flowing text" of org-mode. Similarly if I
in python mode write:

import Something

put the cursor at Something, and run what-face, I also get "no faces". So
using variable pitch in the org-mode text causes variable pitch in embedded
python code as well.

Regards,
Dov

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Sebastien Vauban
<sva-news@mygooglest.com>wrote:

> Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> > I would love to see a "full coverage" of faces in programming language
> > modes. I.e. to be able to overload the default font completely for all
> > syntactic elemetns. This would solve the problem that it is not possible
> > use a variable pitch font for the flowing text in org-mode while viewing
> > embedded programming code in a fixed pitched font.
>
> There is normally `org-default' for the "flowing text", as you call it.
>
> So that one could be different from `default' used in code blocks, no?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb
>
> --
> Sebastien Vauban

* Re: new faces
@ 2014-03-25 13:13         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-03-25 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Colascione; +Cc: Bois Francois-Xavier, emacs-devel

>> I guess it could be OK, then, but I'd like to see examples of existing
>> faces (ideally in Emacs's bundled packages, but also in external
>> packages) that could inherit from the above two.
> Besides nxml-mode and sgml-mode, of course? I should mention php-mode too.

I really meant "faces", not "modes".

> (Speaking of which: it'd be really nice to get a php mode into
> Emacs. It's an extremely popular language.)

Yes, last time this came up we all agreed, but couldn't find a php-mode
candidate for inclusion.