* ELPA: new package coterm
@ 2021-10-12 18:57 miha
From: miha @ 2021-10-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to submit a new package to ELPA.  It implements terminal
emulation for comint buffers (for example M-x shell), allowing one to
use more complex TUI programs such as "less", "mpv" or even "top" and
"emacs -nw".

Two notes:

"Author:" header states my pseudonym and my alternative e-mail address.
I hope that this doesn't cause any problems with respect to copyright
assignment.  (The last commits in the git repository are signed with my
main e-mail address.)

There is a lot of duplicated functionality with term.el.  For
information on the differences from [M-x term] and why I didn't reuse
term.el functions, see the commentary section and the comment at the
start of ";;; Terminal emulation" section.

Source code is available at https://repo.or.cz/emacs-coterm.git

Thanks and best regards.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ELPA: new package coterm
@ 2021-10-12 19:14 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-12 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miha; +Cc: emacs-devel

miha@kamnitnik.top writes:

> There is a lot of duplicated functionality with term.el.  For
> information on the differences from [M-x term] and why I didn't reuse
> term.el functions, see the commentary section and the comment at the
> start of ";;; Terminal emulation" section.

Is there any reason this shouldn't be added to shell or comint directly?

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: ELPA: new package coterm
@ 2021-10-13  8:22   ` miha
From: miha @ 2021-10-13  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 874 bytes --]

> miha@kamnitnik.top writes:
>
>> There is a lot of duplicated functionality with term.el.  For
>> information on the differences from [M-x term] and why I didn't reuse
>> term.el functions, see the commentary section and the comment at the
>> start of ";;; Terminal emulation" section.
>
> Is there any reason this shouldn't be added to shell or comint directly?

It is actually my plan on the long run to eventually convert this
package to a patch for comint (and maybe eshell, who knows).  But as it
is now, I don't think it's quite ready for that yet.  I do believe,
however, that it's usable enough to be published as a package.  This
way, others can use it without having to wait for an Emacs release and
perhaps report problems and help in development.

Best regards.

> --
> 	Philip Kaludercic

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: signature.asc --]

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ELPA: new package coterm
@ 2021-10-13 22:08 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-13 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miha; +Cc: emacs-devel

miha@kamnitnik.top [2021-10-12 20:57:53] wrote:
> I would like to submit a new package to ELPA.  It implements terminal
> emulation for comint buffers (for example M-x shell), allowing one to
> use more complex TUI programs such as "less", "mpv" or even "top" and
> "emacs -nw".

Cool, thanks, added.

Please make sure contributors have signed the copyright paperwork
*before* you accept their code.

> "Author:" header states my pseudonym and my alternative e-mail address.
> I hope that this doesn't cause any problems with respect to copyright
> assignment.  (The last commits in the git repository are signed with my
> main e-mail address.)

It's not a serious problem.  But could you send an email to
<assign@gnu.org> telling them about your alternative email address?
They can then add it in the database, so it's easier to check and will
avoid wasted work down the line when someone needs to check paperwork.

> There is a lot of duplicated functionality with term.el.  For
> information on the differences from [M-x term] and why I didn't reuse
> term.el functions, see the commentary section and the comment at the
> start of ";;; Terminal emulation" section.

IIRC Eshell tries to offer a similar functionality to coterm, tho in
a fairly different way.  I hope the two can be consolidated at
some point.

* Re: ELPA: new package coterm
@ 2021-10-18 12:32   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2021-10-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: miha, emacs-devel

> Cool, thanks, added.

When I installed the package today ("coterm-1.1"), I got the

| Warning (tar): Extracted `/home/micha/.emacs.d/elpa/coterm-1.1/README',
| a link, as a normal file

The installation didn't abort but I now do have an empty README file in
the installation directory.  Is the package broken or is it maybe my
fault?

Thx,

Michael.

* Re: ELPA: new package coterm
@ 2021-10-18 12:53     ` miha
From: miha @ 2021-10-18 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen, Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Cool, thanks, added.
>
> When I installed the package today ("coterm-1.1"), I got the
>
> | Warning (tar): Extracted `/home/micha/.emacs.d/elpa/coterm-1.1/README',
> | a link, as a normal file
>
> The installation didn't abort but I now do have an empty README file in
> the installation directory.  Is the package broken or is it maybe my
> fault?

Yeah, the package was broken. It used to contain a README file as a
sym-link to coterm.el. I've now removed the sym-link and bumped the
version so the fixed package should be on ELPA in a few hours.

> Thx,
>
> Michael.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ELPA: new package coterm
@ 2021-10-18 15:24       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2021-10-18 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miha; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

<miha@kamnitnik.top> writes:

> I've now removed the sym-link and bumped the version so the fixed
> package should be on ELPA in a few hours.

Great, thank you.

Michael.