* CEDET maintainer
@ 2021-03-27 21:06 Fermin
From: Fermin @ 2021-03-27 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello Emacs developers,

My name is Fermin, I'm the maintainer of several Emacs external packages
(some of them are maxima.el <https://gitlab.com/sasanidas/maxima>
,realgud-xdebug <https://github.com/realgud/realgud-xdebug> and
lsp-sonarlint <https://github.com/emacs-lsp/lsp-sonarlint>) aside from this,
I've been messing around with CEDET these past year or so, and I really
like it overall, I can understand his faults and how/why the Emacs
community
is not taking CEDET into account too much these days, but I also think
that this can change.

I'm proposing myself as a CEDET maintainer, I want to contribute to it
in a more direct way, I have some degree of familiarity with the source
code now
and I think I can help in the future development of it, recently there
were a talk about a xref background integration and I think this can be
a great initial
addition. I'm also working on in a more in depth analysis of CEDET so
other people can jump and point out new improvements.

I talked with the original creator/maintainer (Eric) privately and he
kindly gave me the source code of the current CEDET webpage
<http://cedet.sourceforge.net/>, so the first thing
I did was to update it, keeping the old aesthetic but making it HTML5
compatible, it is still a work in progress and the information need to be
also updated, but I think a nice informative webpage can help for new
people to know and use CEDET.
This is the repository of the webpage
https://gitlab.com/sasanidas/cedet-webpage and this is the current URL
https://sasanidas.gitlab.io/cedet-webpage/ ,
I'm using plain HTML5 with a simple script to translate "templates".

If the Emacs maintainers, decide that I'm worthy of it, my initial idea
is to develop CEDET in a separate branch for now, even tho I think the
send patch workflow is valid,
for a package like CEDET that needs a lot of changes, this can really
slow down the process.

Thank you.

Regards,

Fermin

* Re: CEDET maintainer
@ 2021-03-27 21:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-03-27 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fermin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

> I'm proposing myself as a CEDET maintainer,

Excellent!

> If the Emacs maintainers, decide that I'm worthy of it, my initial
> idea is to develop CEDET in a separate branch for now, even tho
> I think the send patch workflow is valid, for a package like CEDET
> that needs a lot of changes, this can really slow down the process.

I think the first thing would be to start the copyright assignment
process so that your contributions can be incorporated into Emacs.
For that please fill the form below and send it to the FSF as instructed
so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.

I'm not very familiar with CEDET, but having converted it recently to
use lexical-binding, I'm a bit less lost in it, let's say.  So I'd be
happy to play the middle man between Emacs's `master` and you until we
feel comfortable giving you direct write access.

Adding an Semantic backend to Xref would indeed be a great first step.
Other things that come to mind in terms of maintenance:
- IIRC there were changes in the upstream CEDET code which still haven't
  been merged into Emacs's `master`.
- Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> has a branch of CEDET (sadly
  based on Emacs as of a year ago) at https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs
  which includes various interesting additions (such as an SQL
  grammar).  I recently started to try and work with him to start
  merging some of those changes into Emacs's `master`.
These branches are evidence of the need to try and merge things into
Emacs's `master` promptly and regularly, otherwise it becomes hard to
get them merged back and the risk of them getting lost in the long term
is high.

        Stefan

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

* Re: CEDET maintainer
@ 2021-03-27 21:54   ` Fermin
From: Fermin @ 2021-03-27 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Stefan,

> I think the first thing would be to start the copyright assignment
> process so that your contributions can be incorporated into Emacs.
> For that please fill the form below and send it to the FSF as instructed
> so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.
I already sign the papers for contributing to Emacs (mostly because I
contributed to the GNU Emba repository).

> I'm not very familiar with CEDET, but having converted it recently to
> use lexical-binding, I'm a bit less lost in it, let's say.  So I'd be
> happy to play the middle man between Emacs's `master` and you until we
> feel comfortable giving you direct write access.
That's great!, thanks for that

> - IIRC there were changes in the upstream CEDET code which still haven't
>    been merged into Emacs's `master`.
Yes, I talked with Eric, and there are test and other code that wasn't
merge, among related packages like cogre, which didn't
merge into Emacs at the time, adapting the code to fit in master would
in deed be really interesting.

>   Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> has a branch of CEDET (sadly
>    based on Emacs as of a year ago) at https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs
>    which includes various interesting additions (such as an SQL
>    grammar).  I recently started to try and work with him to start
>    merging some of those changes into Emacs's `master`.

I talked with Anand privately about the changes, I think they can be a
nice additions to CEDET, I can help with the merging process.

Regards,

Fermin

* Re: CEDET maintainer
@ 2021-03-27 22:40     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-03-27 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fermin; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I think the first thing would be to start the copyright assignment
>> process so that your contributions can be incorporated into Emacs.
>> For that please fill the form below and send it to the FSF as instructed
>> so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.
> I already sign the papers for contributing to Emacs (mostly because
> I contributed to the GNU Emba repository).

Ah, indeed, sorry I didn't look carefully enough (I looked for
`fermin` without accent, duh! ;-)
Even better.

>> - IIRC there were changes in the upstream CEDET code which still haven't
>>    been merged into Emacs's `master`.
> Yes, I talked with Eric, and there are test and other code that wasn't
> merge, among related packages like cogre, which didn't
> merge into Emacs at the time, adapting the code to fit in master would in
> deed be really interesting.

Right, some parts didn't get included, indeed, but IIUC in addition to
that, there are changes that were made later in the upstream repository
(to files which do exist in Emacs's `master`) and which haven't been
propagated to Emacs's ` master`.  Maybe I misremember and they did all
get propagated at some point, of course.

>>   Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> has a branch of CEDET (sadly
>>    based on Emacs as of a year ago) at https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs
>>    which includes various interesting additions (such as an SQL
>>    grammar).  I recently started to try and work with him to start
>>    merging some of those changes into Emacs's `master`.
>
> I talked with Anand privately about the changes, I think they can be a nice
> additions to CEDET, I can help with the merging process.

Great, thanks, feel free to Cc me along the way.  I think what we mostly
need is to "get started" by picking some simple patches which can be
easily integrated into Emacs (and then work our way up to more
challenging changes).

* Re: CEDET maintainer
@ 2021-03-27 23:25       ` Fermin
From: Fermin @ 2021-03-27 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for the help Stefan, I will start the branch tomorrow and began
to make some changes.

> Great, thanks, feel free to Cc me along the way.  I think what we mostly
> need is to "get started" by picking some simple patches which can be
> easily integrated into Emacs (and then work our way up to more
> challenging changes).
Yes, at first, some patches can help in some regard, (Anand really have
some interesting features) but I think
that CEDET need some deep changes, I will elaborate more on this in the
future, mostly with the "more in depth" analysis,
for now, I will make a branch and start working in the overall code, and
cleaning some TODOs, then I'm planing on first
taking into account the functionality of EDE, which I think it can be
expanded and improved, but as I said, I will explain it more
in the (I hope) near by future.

Regards,

Fermin

On 27/03/2021 23:40, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> I think the first thing would be to start the copyright assignment
>>> process so that your contributions can be incorporated into Emacs.
>>> For that please fill the form below and send it to the FSF as instructed
>>> so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.
>> I already sign the papers for contributing to Emacs (mostly because
>> I contributed to the GNU Emba repository).
> Ah, indeed, sorry I didn't look carefully enough (I looked for
> `fermin` without accent, duh! ;-)
> Even better.
>
>>> - IIRC there were changes in the upstream CEDET code which still haven't
>>>     been merged into Emacs's `master`.
>> Yes, I talked with Eric, and there are test and other code that wasn't
>> merge, among related packages like cogre, which didn't
>> merge into Emacs at the time, adapting the code to fit in master would in
>> deed be really interesting.
> Right, some parts didn't get included, indeed, but IIUC in addition to
> that, there are changes that were made later in the upstream repository
> (to files which do exist in Emacs's `master`) and which haven't been
> propagated to Emacs's ` master`.  Maybe I misremember and they did all
> get propagated at some point, of course.
>
>>>    Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> has a branch of CEDET (sadly
>>>     based on Emacs as of a year ago) at https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs
>>>     which includes various interesting additions (such as an SQL
>>>     grammar).  I recently started to try and work with him to start
>>>     merging some of those changes into Emacs's `master`.
>> I talked with Anand privately about the changes, I think they can be a nice
>> additions to CEDET, I can help with the merging process.
> Great, thanks, feel free to Cc me along the way.  I think what we mostly
> need is to "get started" by picking some simple patches which can be
> easily integrated into Emacs (and then work our way up to more
> challenging changes).
>

>          Stefan

* Re: CEDET maintainer
@ 2021-04-24 20:20 ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2021-04-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fermin, emacs-devel

On 3/27/21 5:06 PM, Fermin wrote:
> I'm proposing myself as a CEDET maintainer, I want to contribute to it
> in a more direct way, I have some degree of familiarity with the source
> code now
> and I think I can help in the future development of it, recently there
> were a talk about a xref background integration and I think this can be
> a great initial
> addition. I'm also working on in a more in depth analysis of CEDET so
> other people can jump and point out new improvements.

Thank you Fermin, it will be great to have a maintainer for CEDET!

You are always welcome to ask me questions about the system, any of the
un-merged parts still on sourceforge, and where it was going before I
stopped being a full time developer as my job.

I also have a small backlog of tweaks that I haven't had the bandwidth
to make ready for the modern Emacs which I could send along when you are
settled. :)

(Sorry it took so long for me to notice your post.)

Eric