* leim build bug
@ 2002-10-25 13:09 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2002-10-25 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

While preparing the next pretest (almost ready) I discovered a bug in
the building process.  If you take the latest pretest at
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest (but I think the problem exists
with any Emacs distribution) and untar *leim first, then emacs*, and do a
configure && make, you'll see the leim does not get built!

I suspect that this bit me in the past, in some installation where I
never learned why ever the input methods did not work.

* Re: leim build bug
@ 2002-10-25 13:30 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-10-25 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <E1854DX-0006GK-00@pot.cnuce.cnr.it>, Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org> writes:
> While preparing the next pretest (almost ready) I discovered a bug in
> the building process.  If you take the latest pretest at
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest (but I think the problem exists
> with any Emacs distribution) and untar *leim first, then emacs*, and do a
> configure && make, you'll see the leim does not get built!

> I suspect that this bit me in the past, in some installation where I
> never learned why ever the input methods did not work.

I've just downloaded emacs-21.2.91 and leim-21.2.91 and did:
% configure
% make
It worked without problem.

Please tell us how make failed in your case?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: leim build bug
@ 2002-10-25 13:33 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-10-25 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <E1854DX-0006GK-00@pot.cnuce.cnr.it>, Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org> writes:
> While preparing the next pretest (almost ready) I discovered a bug in
> the building process.  If you take the latest pretest at
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest (but I think the problem exists
> with any Emacs distribution) and untar *leim first, then emacs*, and do a
> configure && make, you'll see the leim does not get built!

Oops, I found what is wrong.  "untar *leim first, then
emacs*" is the problem.  You must at first untar emacs.  Do
you suggest that we must modify the current code so that
untaring leim first also works well?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: leim build bug
@ 2002-10-25 13:38   ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2002-10-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Oops, I found what is wrong.  "untar *leim first, then
> emacs*" is the problem.

Yes, that's it :-)

> you suggest that we must modify the current code so that
> untaring leim first also works well?

Sure.  Or else put something in the makefile that warns that you have
untarred in the wrong order and the installation will not work well.
But it should work either way.

I'll do the pretest anyway, but I think that this should be straightened
out before publishing 21.3.

* Re: leim build bug
@ 2002-10-26  7:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-26  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:38:32 +0200
>
> > you suggest that we must modify the current code so that
> > untaring leim first also works well?
>
> Sure.  Or else put something in the makefile that warns that you have
> untarred in the wrong order and the installation will not work well.
> But it should work either way.
>
> I'll do the pretest anyway, but I think that this should be straightened
> out before publishing 21.3.

I disagree.  What you found out was unchanged since Emacs 20.1, and I
don't think I've ever heard any complaints.  The file INSTALL says:

    You should unpack leim-M.N.tar.gz into the same directory where you
    have previously unpacked the main Emacs distribution.  It fills in the
    contents of one subdirectory, which is present in the main Emacs
    distribution only in dummy form.

Since The HEAD version makes Leim part of the Emacs distribution, I
don't recommend changing this aspect for the branch version.

* Re: leim build bug
@ 2002-10-26 13:23       ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2002-10-26 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> > > you suggest that we must modify the current code so that
> > > untaring leim first also works well?

> > I'll do the pretest anyway, but I think that this should be straightened
> > out before publishing 21.3.

> I disagree.  What you found out was unchanged since Emacs 20.1, and I
> don't think I've ever heard any complaints.

Well, you've just heard one :-)

In fact, this problem has intermittently bitten me for more than one
year now, but only now did I realize what it was.  I usually untar emacs
and leim in parallel, in the background, the way I almost always do with
big tar files.

> Since The HEAD version makes Leim part of the Emacs distribution, I
> don't recommend changing this aspect for the branch version.

Would it be difficult or anyway problematic to merge emacs and leim
starting with 21.3 instead?

* Re: leim build bug
@ 2002-10-26 14:04         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-26 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 15:23:55 +0200
>
> > I disagree.  What you found out was unchanged since Emacs 20.1, and I
> > don't think I've ever heard any complaints.
>
> Well, you've just heard one :-)

Yes ;-)

> Would it be difficult or anyway problematic to merge emacs and leim
> starting with 21.3 instead?

I don't recommend making any significant changes like this one on the
branch, but if others think it's worthwhile, I won't object.

* Re: leim build bug
@ 2002-10-26 20:16 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-26 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    While preparing the next pretest (almost ready) I discovered a bug in
    the building process.  If you take the latest pretest at
    ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest (but I think the problem exists
    with any Emacs distribution) and untar *leim first, then emacs*, and do a
    configure && make, you'll see the leim does not get built!

it is documented that you must unpack leim on top of Emacs.
It would be a waste of time to try to change this for 21.3,
since the problem will be gone in the next version anyway.

* Re: leim build bug
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-27 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pot, emacs-devel

    > Would it be difficult or anyway problematic to merge emacs and leim
    > starting with 21.3 instead?

It would be a waste of time.  We have already done this for the next
trunk release.

We do not want large changes in 21.3.  We only want to fix real *bugs*
in 21.3, and only when it is safe.