* DONTCOMPILE in lisp/Makefile.in doesn't work.
@ 2005-04-11 15:15 Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-04-11 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do I understand correctly that DONTCOMPILE in lisp/Makefile.in is a
list of lisp files that should not be compiled?  If so, it doesn't
work.  Here is the relevant target (the target recompile is similar):

# NOTE about DONTCOMPILE: in the `echo <foo> | sort | uniq -u' we pass
# $(DONTCOMPILE) twice.  This is in case one of the files in DONTCOMPILE
# is absent.  -stef

compile: $(lisp)/subdirs.el doit
	find $(lisp) -name "*.elc" -print | xargs chmod +w >/dev/null 2>&1; \
	wd=$(lisp); $(setwins);	\
	elpat=`echo $$wins | tr ' 	' '\012\012' | \
		sed -e 's|\(.\)$$|\1/|' -e 's|^\./||' -e 's|$$|*.el|'`;	\
	els=`echo $$elpat $(DONTCOMPILE) $(DONTCOMPILE) $(COMPILE_FIRST) | \
		tr '	 ' '\012\012' | sort | uniq -u`; \
	for el in $(COMPILE_FIRST) $$els; do \
	  if test -f $$el; \
	  then \
	    echo Compiling $$el; \
	    $(emacs) -f batch-byte-compile-if-not-done $$el || exit 1; \
	  fi \
	done

If I understand this correctly, the command happily tries to compile
all files in DONTCOMPILE.  (Most of the files don't actually get
compiled because they set no-byte-compile via local variables.)

Isn't it better to just do away with DONTCOMPILE and just rely on lisp
files setting no-byte-compile?

Lute.

* Re: DONTCOMPILE in lisp/Makefile.in doesn't work.
@ 2005-04-12  2:59 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-04-12  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Isn't it better to just do away with DONTCOMPILE and just rely on lisp
    files setting no-byte-compile?

I think so.  It would be simpler to use just one mechanism,
and no-byte-compile is cleaner.  Could you please do that,
and put no-byte-compile into any files which could use it and
don't have it?

* Re: DONTCOMPILE in lisp/Makefile.in doesn't work.
@ 2005-04-12  7:54   ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-04-12  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Isn't it better to just do away with DONTCOMPILE and just rely on lisp
>     files setting no-byte-compile?
>
> I think so.  It would be simpler to use just one mechanism,
> and no-byte-compile is cleaner.  Could you please do that,
> and put no-byte-compile into any files which could use it and
> don't have it?

I'll do that.

@ 2005-04-13 10:25     ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-04-13 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     Isn't it better to just do away with DONTCOMPILE and just rely on lisp
>>     files setting no-byte-compile?
>>
>> I think so.  It would be simpler to use just one mechanism,
>> and no-byte-compile is cleaner.  Could you please do that,
>> and put no-byte-compile into any files which could use it and
>> don't have it?
>
> I'll do that.

Done.  I've changed lisp/Makefile.in and lisp/makefile.w32-in.  They
don't use DONTCOMPILE anymore.  I've also changed make-dist because it
looked for DONTCOMPILE in lisp/Makefile.in.

Lute.