From: Philip Kaludercic <philip.kaludercic@fau.de>
To: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: python-import
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:58:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Philip,
>
> See my response to your comments below.
>
> But more importantly, since now the plan is to add those features to
> python.el, which is built-in but also extracted to be distributed on
> ELPA for Emacs ≥ 24.4 --- have you thought of a scheme whereby one could
> use new Emacs features on those kinds of packages, but then
> automatically stick a (require 'compat) at the top of their ELPA
> version?

We have recently added compat as a dependency for ERC, but that only
required support back until 27.1.  Sadly it isn't as simple as just
adding (require 'compat nil 'noerror) at the top of the file, as compat
is neither complete not transparent.

I am not saying it isn't impossible, but if there is a dependency on
project.el, it might make sense to raise the minimum version of ELPA's
python.el?  Alternatively, one could try and reduce the minimum version
of project.el, but that might be tricky.

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 at 17:53, Philip Kaludercic <philip.kaludercic@fau.de> wrote:
>
>> Why do you depend on Emacs 28.1?  Setting aside convenience functions
>> like length=, all you really need is project-files from Emacs 27.1,
>> right?  And if you add a dependency on the right version of project.el
>> that implemented that function, you could even reduce the (transitive)
>> dependency to Emacs 26.1.
>
> I'm also using the MODES argument of the `interactive' form.  But yes, I
> have no good reason to require 28 other than being unfamiliar/not
> remembering the history of the new features, which makes it hard to
> "promise" compatibility with older Emacsen.

Good point, I had missed that.  I still believe that was an unfortunate
design decision, but as Visuwesh using the declare form might help?