* [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 12:39 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-10 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

FYI

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:57:17 +0200
From: Sylvain Beucler <beuc@gnu.org>
To: savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh://
	[done]

Hi,

The migration should be completed now.

bzr:// and bzr+ssh:// are enabled.
sftp:// is disabled.

Your project bzr page is updated with the new URLs, e.g.:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=pdf

(note that "/srv/bzr" disappeared)

bzr complained when I tried 'bzr switch', but apparently you can just
edit your .bzr/branch/branch.conf manually in your working copies.

Let us know if everything is alright.

- - Sylvain

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:39:16PM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (This message is sent to project admins who have a bzr repository)
>
> We tried to find contributors to move bzr repositories from sftp:// to
> bzr+ssh:// , however this proved unsuccessful.
>
> This is becoming a problem, with some of you switching away from bzr
> for that reason.
>
> Consequently, I'm going to migrate the repositories myself in "rush
> mode", that is, I'm going to do that within the next few hours, and
> during the process your repositories won't be accessible.
>
> I'll send another e-mail when the migration is done.  After that,
> you'll have to update your working copies accordingly (with 'bzr
> switch').
>
> --
> Sylvain

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 12:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-10 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:39:16PM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

[...]

>> We tried to find contributors to move bzr repositories from sftp:// to
>> bzr+ssh:// , however this proved unsuccessful.
>>
>> This is becoming a problem, with some of you switching away from bzr
>> for that reason.

What does this mean?  What was the problem with sftp:// that
necessitated this rather, er, sudden move?

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 12:57 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-10 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> bzr complained when I tried 'bzr switch', but apparently you can just
> edit your .bzr/branch/branch.conf manually in your working copies.

You can use --remember for that.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 13:03 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-10-10 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:57:17 +0200
From: Sylvain Beucler <beuc@gnu.org>
To: savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org

@ 2010-10-10 13:47   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-10 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> What does this mean?  What was the problem with sftp:// that
> necessitated this rather, er, sudden move?

It's ridiculous slowness.

Andreas.

--

@ 2010-10-10 13:49   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:56:38 +0200
>
> >> We tried to find contributors to move bzr repositories from sftp:// to
> >> bzr+ssh:// , however this proved unsuccessful.
> >>
> >> This is becoming a problem, with some of you switching away from bzr
> >> for that reason.
>
> What does this mean?  What was the problem with sftp://

It's slow and inefficient.  We've been told by Bazaar developers to
switch to bzr+ssh (a.k.a. "smart server") since day one, when we
started to complain about the slowness.

Now we will see if the smart server is indeed a solution to our
problems or part of them.  But at least Bazaar developers will no
longer have an excuse.

> that necessitated this rather, er, sudden move?

Sudden my foot!  It took 10 months to get there, and in the end all
that was needed was a determined sysadmin.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-10 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It's slow and inefficient.  We've been told by Bazaar developers to
> switch to bzr+ssh (a.k.a. "smart server") since day one, when we
> started to complain about the slowness.

Why didn't we switch to brz+ssh a long time ago?  This is the first I've
heard of it...

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 14:03 ` B Smith-Mannschott
From: B Smith-Mannschott @ 2010-10-10 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 14:39, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> FYI

> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:57:17 +0200
> From: Sylvain Beucler <beuc@gnu.org>
> To: savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh://
>        [done]
>
> Hi,
>
> The migration should be completed now.
>
> bzr:// and bzr+ssh:// are enabled.
> sftp:// is disabled.
>
> Your project bzr page is updated with the new URLs, e.g.:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=pdf

The instructions on these pages are certain to be frustrating for a newbie:

> For a repository with separate branch directories (trunk, devel, …), use:
>
>     bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/branch

There is no branch named "devel". There is no obvious way to learn the
names of available branches. Should we guess?

> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs

the web-based repository browser
is broken:

> "loggerhead disabled due to unstability; if you're interesting in maintaining it, please contact us"

s/unstability/instability/

> For a repository with only a top-level .bzr directory, use:
>     bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs

What does that even mean? Is it some sort of mangled allusion to 'bzr
init' versus 'bzr init-repository'? It doesn't work as written since
'emacs' is not a branch.

// Ben

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 14:30       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-10 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:01:30 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > It's slow and inefficient.  We've been told by Bazaar developers to
> > switch to bzr+ssh (a.k.a. "smart server") since day one, when we
> > started to complain about the slowness.
>
> Why didn't we switch to brz+ssh a long time ago?  This is the first I've
> heard of it...

Reportedly, there were some untold difficulties to do so.  Given the
number of minutes it took today, I have my doubts.

If you really want the details, they should be in the archives of
savannah-hackers-public mailing list.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 14:36   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-10 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B Smith-Mannschott; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:03:41 +0200
> From: B Smith-Mannschott <bsmith.occs@gmail.com>
>
> > Your project bzr page is updated with the new URLs, e.g.:
> > https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
> > https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=pdf
> >

> The instructions on these pages are certain to be frustrating for a newbie:
>
> > For a repository with separate branch directories (trunk, devel, …), use:
> >
> >     bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/branch
>
> There is no branch named "devel". There is no obvious way to learn the
> names of available branches. Should we guess?

"bzr branches" should tell you the names, but it can be slow with
remote repositories.

The name of the branch you want is "trunk".  There's another branch
you may want, called "emacs-23", for the bug-fix releases of Emacs
23.x.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 14:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-10 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bsmith.occs, emacs-devel

> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:36:07 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > There is no branch named "devel". There is no obvious way to learn the
> > names of available branches. Should we guess?
>
> "bzr branches" should tell you the names, but it can be slow with
> remote repositories.

For the record, it took me 6 minutes to get all the branches in the
Emacs repository from a Windows machine that sits behind a 5MBps
link.  On a GNU/Linux machine that is on T1, it took 8 seconds.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 16:07   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-10 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B Smith-Mannschott; +Cc: emacs-devel

B Smith-Mannschott <bsmith.occs@gmail.com> writes:

> The instructions on these pages are certain to be frustrating for a newbie:
>
>> For a repository with separate branch directories (trunk, devel, …), use:
>>
>>     bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/branch
>
> There is no branch named "devel". There is no obvious way to learn the
> names of available branches. Should we guess?

Then why does it say this:

    You can see the branch names in the repository by pointing a web
    browser to: http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs

Andreas.

--

@ 2010-10-10 16:42         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-10-10 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:01:30 +0200
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > It's slow and inefficient.  We've been told by Bazaar developers to
>> > switch to bzr+ssh (a.k.a. "smart server") since day one, when we
>> > started to complain about the slowness.
>>
>> Why didn't we switch to brz+ssh a long time ago?  This is the first I've
>> heard of it...
>
> Reportedly, there were some untold difficulties to do so.  Given the
> number of minutes it took today, I have my doubts.

The great Chinese emperor commissioned a painting of a rooster from a
famous artist.  The artist told him that it would take considerable
time.  After months and months of reminders and delays, the emperor went
to artist in person and entered his house, telling him that he would
stay at his place until the painting was done.  The artist put an empty
canvas on the scaffold [ok, somebody better versed in Chinese art please
substitute the correct materials here], took his brush and ink, and with
few swift and determined strokes put the perfect likeness of a rooster
to the canvas, scarcely taking a minute.

The emperor was furious: "You let me wait that long for a painting
taking a minute?  What for?".  Without a word, the artist opened the
door to his work room: the room was plastered, wall and ceiling, with
different paintings of roosters, stacks of them piling up on the floor.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-10 17:01 ` Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2010-10-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 10/10/2010 06:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The migration should be completed now.
>
> bzr:// and bzr+ssh:// are enabled.
> sftp:// is disabled.
>
> Your project bzr page is updated with the new URLs, e.g.:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=pdf

Does this work for the http access, too?

I.e. can http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk be converted to use
the bzr protocol?

How would I go about that? Check out a new branch?

Christoph

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-10 17:07           ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-10-10 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> Reportedly, there were some untold difficulties to do so.  Given the
>> number of minutes it took today, I have my doubts.

Hardly "untold"; see below.

>The great Chinese emperor commissioned a painting of a rooster from a
>famous artist.  The artist told him that it would take considerable
>time.  After months and months of reminders and delays, the emperor went
>to artist in person and entered his house, telling him that he would
>stay at his place until the painting was done.  The artist put an empty
>canvas on the scaffold [ok, somebody better versed in Chinese art please
>substitute the correct materials here], took his brush and ink, and with
>few swift and determined strokes put the perfect likeness of a rooster
>to the canvas, scarcely taking a minute.
>
>The emperor was furious: "You let me wait that long for a painting
>taking a minute?  What for?".  Without a word, the artist opened the
>door to his work room: the room was plastered, wall and ceiling, with
>different paintings of roosters, stacks of them piling up on the floor.

As one of the rooster painters, I can say it was not just a matter of
minutes for someone unfamiliar with the GNU systems and trying to do it
in a maintainable way :-).  Perhaps it was that easy for Sylvain; in any
case I'm glad he was able to get to it.

In public posts, I detailed some of this.  Elsethread from the below,
you can see some of the problems I ran into, how long it could sometimes
take to get questions answered, etc.  This is *not* to blame the GNU
sysadmins: they are volunteers, they work hard, and there is always too
much to do.  It's just not an easy system for integrating new volunteers
or drive-by contributions, unfortunately.

 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-05/msg00024.html
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-06/msg00015.html
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-05/threads.html#00001

When I finally decided I didn't have time to deal with it, I also posted
publicly saying that I was off the job, and referencing the above posts
both to explain why and to show the status to whoever might pick it up.

All credit to Sylvain for getting it done.

-Karl

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11  4:55       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-10-11  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Why didn't we switch to brz+ssh a long time ago?  This is the first I've
    heard of it...

Because there are not enough people helping on Savannah.
We need more people there.  Would anyone like to help?

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11  7:01   ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2010-10-11  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2010-10-10 19:01 +0200, Christoph wrote:

> On 10/10/2010 06:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> The migration should be completed now.
>>
>> bzr:// and bzr+ssh:// are enabled.
>> sftp:// is disabled.
>>
>> Your project bzr page is updated with the new URLs, e.g.:
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=pdf
>
> Does this work for the http access, too?
>
> I.e. can http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk be converted to use
> the bzr protocol?

Yes.

> How would I go about that? Check out a new branch?

No, just edit .bzr/branch/branch.conf in each of your branches.  For the
trunk, point it to bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk (note that the
extra /r from the http URL is gone).

Sven

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11 11:54     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-10-11 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: Christoph, emacs-devel

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-10-10 19:01 +0200, Christoph wrote:
>
>> On 10/10/2010 06:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>>> The migration should be completed now.
>>>
>>> bzr:// and bzr+ssh:// are enabled.
>>> sftp:// is disabled.
>>>
>>> Your project bzr page is updated with the new URLs, e.g.:
>>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
>>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=pdf
>>
>> Does this work for the http access, too?
>>
>> I.e. can http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk be converted to use
>> the bzr protocol?
>
> Yes.
>
>> How would I go about that? Check out a new branch?
>
> No, just edit .bzr/branch/branch.conf in each of your branches.  For the
> trunk, point it to bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk (note that the
> extra /r from the http URL is gone).

Can I do something similar to move from Launchpad? branch.conf looks
like this now:

  parent_location = http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/
  public_branch = lp:emacs
  bound_location = http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/
  bound = True

How should it look if I move?

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11 13:05       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-11 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Christoph, Sven Joachim, emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Can I do something similar to move from Launchpad?

Just replace the URLs.

Andreas.

--

@ 2010-10-11 14:06         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-10-11 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Christoph, Sven Joachim, emacs-devel

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can I do something similar to move from Launchpad?
>
> Just replace the URLs.

Thanks Andreas, but what does that mean for the line

  public_branch = lp:emacs

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11 15:33           ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2010-10-11 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Christoph, Andreas Schwab, Sven Joachim, emacs-devel

On Mon, Oct 11 2010, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Can I do something similar to move from Launchpad?
>>
>> Just replace the URLs.
>
> Thanks Andreas, but what does that mean for the line
>
>   public_branch = lp:emacs

I get confused about all of the different names that bzr gives branches,
but I have found that if I add "--remember" to the command line bzr does
the right thing the next time.

So:

bzr pull --remember bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/

will do the right thing on the next bzr pull.  bzr push and merge both
use the same flag to set the default for those actions.

I hope this was helpful.

Jason

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11 15:46           ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-10-11 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lennart Borgman

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Can I do something similar to move from Launchpad?
>>
>> Just replace the URLs.
>
> Thanks Andreas, but what does that mean for the line
>
>   public_branch = lp:emacs

lp:emacs is just a bzr-specific abbreviation for the URL of the `emacs'
branch on Launchpad (a mirror of Savannah's emacs/trunk.) Replace
lp:emacs with the full URL of Emacs `trunk' branch on Savannah.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11 19:05             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-11 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Earl; +Cc: cschol2112, schwab, lennart.borgman, svenjoac, emacs-devel

> From: Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org>
> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:33:40 -0600
> Cc: Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com>,
> 	Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>,
> 	Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> bzr pull --remember bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
>
> will do the right thing on the next bzr pull.

Is "bzr pull" the right thing to do with a bound branch?  That's what
many people here use, so if it isn't TRT, the above could cause
trouble.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11 20:26               ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-10-11 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii
  Cc: cschol2112, lennart.borgman, emacs-devel, schwab, svenjoac,
	Jason Earl

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> From: Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org>
>> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:33:40 -0600
>> Cc: Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com>,
>> 	Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>,
>> 	Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> bzr pull --remember bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
>>
>> will do the right thing on the next bzr pull.
>
>Is "bzr pull" the right thing to do with a bound branch?  That's what
>many people here use, so if it isn't TRT, the above could cause
>trouble.

I don't know, but I have a bound branch and I always use 'bzr up'.
It seems to work fine.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel
  Cc: cschol2112, lennart.borgman, emacs-devel, schwab, svenjoac, jearl

> From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
> Cc: Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org>,  cschol2112@googlemail.com,  schwab@linux-m68k.org,  lennart.borgman@gmail.com,  svenjoac@gmx.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:26:34 -0400
>
> >> bzr pull --remember bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
> >>
> >> will do the right thing on the next bzr pull.
> >
> >Is "bzr pull" the right thing to do with a bound branch?  That's what
> >many people here use, so if it isn't TRT, the above could cause
> >trouble.
>
> I don't know, but I have a bound branch and I always use 'bzr up'.
> It seems to work fine.

Me too.  That's why I asked.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-11 22:18                   ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2010-10-11 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii
  Cc: cschol2112, lennart.borgman, emacs-devel, Karl Fogel, schwab,
	svenjoac

On Mon, Oct 11 2010, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
>> Cc: Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org>,  cschol2112@googlemail.com,  schwab@linux-m68k.org,  lennart.borgman@gmail.com,  svenjoac@gmx.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:26:34 -0400

>> >Is "bzr pull" the right thing to do with a bound branch?  That's what
>> >many people here use, so if it isn't TRT, the above could cause
>> >trouble.
>>
>> I don't know, but I have a bound branch and I always use 'bzr up'.
>> It seems to work fine.
>
> Me too.  That's why I asked.

I believe that if you want to change the branch that a bound branch is
bound to you simply rebind it with:

bzr bind <new_url>

Jason

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-12  3:21               ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-10-12  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii
  Cc: cschol2112, lennart.borgman, emacs-devel, schwab, svenjoac,
	Jason Earl

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Is "bzr pull" the right thing to do with a bound branch?

AIUI, no, it's not.  AIUI, this causes the referenced branch to pull
from its default source.  That's probably OK if the referenced branch
is bzr+ssh://savannah/emacs/trunk, since it shouldn't have a parent.
But if you're working on a a checkout of a feature branch branched
from trunk, this will cause the feature branch to pull from trunk.

This probably isn't a big problem, because if there are any changes in
your checkout, they'll be propagated to the feature branch by the
binding.  This will prevent pull from making any changes to the
feature branch (either the test for fast-forward will fail, or there
haven't been any changes to trunk since the feature branch).  It might
be confusing if the pull fails with messages about diverging from
trunk, though.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-13  0:27           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-13  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Christoph, Andreas Schwab, Sven Joachim, emacs-devel

>> Just replace the URLs.
> Thanks Andreas, but what does that mean for the line
>   public_branch = lp:emacs

"lp:emacs" is a URL.

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-14  0:42     ` Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2010-10-14  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 10/11/2010 1:01 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:

> No, just edit .bzr/branch/branch.conf in each of your branches.  For the
> trunk, point it to bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk (note that the
> extra /r from the http URL is gone).

Thanks Sven.

Man, this bzr thing is soaring now. I finally get my full 1.3MB/s, at
least on a big update for short periods of time.

Christoph

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-18 21:07 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-10-18 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: beuc; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Silvain

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 09:03:01AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:57:17 +0200
> From: Sylvain Beucler <beuc@gnu.org>
> To: savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh://
>  [done]

> Hi,

> The migration should be completed now.

> bzr:// and bzr+ssh:// are enabled.
> sftp:// is disabled.

> Your project bzr page is updated with the new URLs, e.g.:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=pdf

> (note that "/srv/bzr" disappeared)

> bzr complained when I tried 'bzr switch', but apparently you can just
> edit your .bzr/branch/branch.conf manually in your working copies.

> Let us know if everything is alright.

I cannot access bzr+ssh.  I "just" edited my config file as you suggested
but it simply doesn't work.

When I try $ bzr update, I get the following abortion of an error
message:

    You tried to execute: bzr serve --inet --directory=/ --allow-writes
    Sorry, you are not allowed to execute that command.
    bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check
    connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.

which is of little help.  Here is my (branch) config file, contained in
the directory ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/trunk/.bzr/branch/branch.conf

    parent_location = bzr+ssh://acmacm@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
    public_branch = bzr+ssh://acmacm@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
    bound_location = bzr+ssh://acmacm@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/
    bound = True
    submit_branch = file:///home/acm/emacs/emacs.bzr/quickfixes/

Nobody on emacs-devel@gnu.org has been able to help me.  Help would be
very much appreciated (even if it's only a more appropriate address to
write to ;-).

Thanks in advance!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: [beuc@gnu.org: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
@ 2010-10-19  4:00   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-19  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:07:28 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Hi, Silvain
>
> I cannot access bzr+ssh.  I "just" edited my config file as you suggested
> but it simply doesn't work.

Forwarded to the savannah mailing list, where it belongs.