* eww bookmarks code naming for interactive functions
@ 2023-05-24 16:29 Yoni Rabkin
From: Yoni Rabkin @ 2023-05-24 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all,

eww.el exposes a number of interactive functions for dealing with
bookmarks:

eww-add-bookmark
eww-list-bookmarks
eww-bookmark-kill
eww-bookmark-yank
eww-bookmark-browse
eww-next-bookmark
eww-previous-bookmark

Note that some of them have the noun before the verb, but others
visa-versa. I find this confusing, and because of it I often find myself
stumbling when autocomplete in the minibuffer doesn't do what I thought
it was going to do.

Elsewhere in eww.el, the dominant form for interactive functions is
verb-first, such as `eww-open-file', `eww-search-words',
`eww-open-in-new-buffer', etc.

Would y'all accept a patch which changes function names such as
`eww-bookmark-kill' to `eww-kill-bookmark'?

* Re: eww bookmarks code naming for interactive functions
@ 2023-05-24 16:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-24 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoni Rabkin; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net>
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 12:29:00 -0400
>
> Would y'all accept a patch which changes function names such as
> `eww-bookmark-kill' to `eww-kill-bookmark'?

These commands exist since Emacs 28, AFAICT, so simply renaming them
now is not possible anymore.  But we can provide aliases by the new
names, which then will make this acceptable.

There's another aspect to this: renaming these will make some commands
harder to complete.  For example, there's already eww-browse, so
having eww-browse-bookmark will make eww-browse slightly harder to
invoke.  And for eww-next/previous-bookmark, I think having
eww-bookmark-next/previous instead would make awkward names.
Something to consider as a certain downside of your suggestion, I
guess.

Thanks.