* Should shell-quote-argument really use (eq system-type  'windows-nt)?
@ 2005-03-07 12:59 Stephan Stahl
From: Stephan Stahl @ 2005-03-07 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I think shell-quote-argument should not use
(eq system-type'windows-nt)
instead it should take shell-file-name into account.

It seems very usual for emacs users on w32 to use cygwin or mingw.
Right now shell-quote-argument would return something wrong when bash
or some "intelligent" shell is used on w32 because it assumes a dumb
w32 shell.

What do others think about this (little tested) change?

diff -c "subr.el.~1.433~" "subr.el"
*** subr.el.~1.433~ Mon Mar  7 13:47:21 2005
--- subr.el Mon Mar  7 13:48:36 2005
***************
*** 2274,2280 ****
  				   "\\" (substring argument end (1+ end)))
  		    start (1+ end))))
  	(concat "\"" result (substring argument start) "\""))
!     (if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
  	(concat "\"" argument "\"")
        (if (equal argument "")
  	  "''"
--- 2274,2280 ----
  				   "\\" (substring argument end (1+ end)))
  		    start (1+ end))))
  	(concat "\"" result (substring argument start) "\""))
!     (if (string-match shell-dumb-shell-regexp shell-file-name)
  	(concat "\"" argument "\"")
        (if (equal argument "")
  	  "''"

Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl

* Re: Should shell-quote-argument really use (eq system-type 'windows-nt)?
@ 2005-03-07 13:53 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-03-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think shell-quote-argument should not use
> (eq system-type'windows-nt)
> instead it should take shell-file-name into account.
>
> It seems very usual for emacs users on w32 to use cygwin or mingw.
> Right now shell-quote-argument would return something wrong when bash
> or some "intelligent" shell is used on w32 because it assumes a dumb
> w32 shell.
>
> What do others think about this (little tested) change?

I have not tested your change but I think your idea is good.

* Re: Should shell-quote-argument really use (eq system-type 'windows-nt)?
@ 2005-03-07 14:20   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stephan Stahl, emacs-devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> [...]

Seconded.  We don't want to _force_ w32 users to use bad shells.

* Re: Should shell-quote-argument really use (eq  system-type'windows-nt)?
@ 2005-03-12 19:37     ` Stephan Stahl
From: Stephan Stahl @ 2005-03-12 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, emacs-devel, Stephan Stahl

Hi David.

David Kastrup said:
>> I have not tested your change but I think your idea is good.
>
> Seconded.  We don't want to _force_ w32 users to use bad shells.

So should this be commited?

Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl