* problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-14  9:35 Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
From: Artemio Gonzalez Lopez @ 2017-08-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I've been using Emacs 25.2.1 (downloaded from emacsformacosx.com) with
several developer betas of Mac OS 10.13. I had no problem until the
latest (beta 5), which does not render properly the fringes and the
header/mode lines in Emacs windows. More precisely, it renders them in
solid black, which in particular makes it virtually impossible to read
the text messages in the header/mode lines. I am attaching two png
files, showing how a window is rendered now (Fig. 1) and how it should
be rendered (Fig. 2). This is probably a bug in macos's CoreGraphics (in
fact, I've filed a bug report to the effect). However, while the bug is
fixed (I hope in the next beta release!), I thought perhaps there could
be a way of manually setting the background color of the fringes and
header/mode which is not overridden by macos. Any suggestion in this
respect would be very welcome!

Artemio

artemiog@mac.com

[-- Attachment #2: Fig. 1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 139433 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Fig. 2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 162655 bytes --]

* Re: problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-14 15:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-08-14 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artemio Gonzalez Lopez; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Artemio Gonzalez Lopez <artemiog@mac.com>
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:35:39 +0200
>
> I've been using Emacs 25.2.1 (downloaded from emacsformacosx.com) with
> several developer betas of Mac OS 10.13. I had no problem until the
> latest (beta 5), which does not render properly the fringes and the
> header/mode lines in Emacs windows. More precisely, it renders them in
> solid black, which in particular makes it virtually impossible to read
> the text messages in the header/mode lines. I am attaching two png
> files, showing how a window is rendered now (Fig. 1) and how it should
> be rendered (Fig. 2). This is probably a bug in macos's CoreGraphics (in
> fact, I've filed a bug report to the effect). However, while the bug is
> fixed (I hope in the next beta release!), I thought perhaps there could
> be a way of manually setting the background color of the fringes and
> header/mode which is not overridden by macos. Any suggestion in this
> respect would be very welcome!

AFAIU, the problem manifests itself in the inability of Emacs to load
the colors it wants to use.  So one possible workaround would be to
find out which colors it _can_ load, and customize the 'fringe' face
to use one of those colors.

To find which colors are available, use "M-x list-colors-display".

* Re: problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-14 15:32   ` Artemio González López
From: Artemio González López @ 2017-08-14 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Aug 14, 2017, at 5:17 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Artemio Gonzalez Lopez <artemiog@mac.com>
>> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:35:39 +0200
>>
>> I've been using Emacs 25.2.1 (downloaded from emacsformacosx.com) with
>> several developer betas of Mac OS 10.13. I had no problem until the
>> latest (beta 5), which does not render properly the fringes and the
>> header/mode lines in Emacs windows. More precisely, it renders them in
>> solid black, which in particular makes it virtually impossible to read
>> the text messages in the header/mode lines. I am attaching two png
>> files, showing how a window is rendered now (Fig. 1) and how it should
>> be rendered (Fig. 2). This is probably a bug in macos's CoreGraphics (in
>> fact, I've filed a bug report to the effect). However, while the bug is
>> fixed (I hope in the next beta release!), I thought perhaps there could
>> be a way of manually setting the background color of the fringes and
>> header/mode which is not overridden by macos. Any suggestion in this
>> respect would be very welcome!
>
> AFAIU, the problem manifests itself in the inability of Emacs to load
> the colors it wants to use.  So one possible workaround would be to
> find out which colors it _can_ load, and customize the 'fringe' face
> to use one of those colors.
>
> To find which colors are available, use "M-x list-colors-display”.

Hi, Eli,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. In fact, “M-x list-colors-display” produces the following baffling error message:

apply: Wrong number of arguments: max, 0

After getting this error, I checked the Messages buffer and found the following lines:

Unable to load color "grey75"
Unable to load color "gray75"
Unable to load color "dark red"
Unable to load color "gray75"
Unable to load color "gray50"
Unable to load color "gray75"
Unable to load color "gray50"
Unable to load color "gray75" [3 times]
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Unable to load color "Firebrick"
Unable to load color "RoyalBlue3"
Unable to load color "dark slate blue"
Unable to load color "darkseagreen2"
Unable to load color "gray75" [2 times]
Unable to load color “gray50"

So it looks that after the newest developer beta Emacs has problems finding most (all?) colors. Does that make sense to you? Any fixes/workarounds that come to mind?

Thanks a lot,

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
artemiog@mac.com

* Re: problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-14 15:47   ` Artemio González López
From: Artemio González López @ 2017-08-14 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Aug 14, 2017, at 5:17 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Artemio Gonzalez Lopez <artemiog@mac.com>
>> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:35:39 +0200
>>
>> I've been using Emacs 25.2.1 (downloaded from emacsformacosx.com) with
>> several developer betas of Mac OS 10.13. I had no problem until the
>> latest (beta 5), which does not render properly the fringes and the
>> header/mode lines in Emacs windows. More precisely, it renders them in
>> solid black, which in particular makes it virtually impossible to read
>> the text messages in the header/mode lines. I am attaching two png
>> files, showing how a window is rendered now (Fig. 1) and how it should
>> be rendered (Fig. 2). This is probably a bug in macos's CoreGraphics (in
>> fact, I've filed a bug report to the effect). However, while the bug is
>> fixed (I hope in the next beta release!), I thought perhaps there could
>> be a way of manually setting the background color of the fringes and
>> header/mode which is not overridden by macos. Any suggestion in this
>> respect would be very welcome!
>
> AFAIU, the problem manifests itself in the inability of Emacs to load
> the colors it wants to use.  So one possible workaround would be to
> find out which colors it _can_ load, and customize the 'fringe' face
> to use one of those colors.
>
> To find which colors are available, use "M-x list-colors-display”.

After deleting the file ~/Library/Colors/Emacs.clr, everything went back to normal. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
artemiog@mac.com

* Re: problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-14 21:27     ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2017-08-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artemio González López; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 05:47:12PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
> After deleting the file ~/Library/Colors/Emacs.clr, everything went
> back to normal. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!

I believe you need to delete the file every time you restart Emacs. We
don’t have any other work‐around for this at the moment as we don’t
know why it’s happening.
--
Alan Third

* Re: problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-14 22:35       ` Artemio González López
From: Artemio González López @ 2017-08-14 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> On Aug 14, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 05:47:12PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
>> After deleting the file ~/Library/Colors/Emacs.clr, everything went
>> back to normal. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!
>
> I believe you need to delete the file every time you restart Emacs. We
> don’t have any other work‐around for this at the moment as we don’t
> know why it’s happening.
> --
> Alan Third

You’re right, Alan. Today Apple released a new beta; we’ll see if the issue persists.

Thanks again,

Artemio

* Re: problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-15 18:51       ` Artemio González López
From: Artemio González López @ 2017-08-15 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Aug 14, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 05:47:12PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
>> After deleting the file ~/Library/Colors/Emacs.clr, everything went
>> back to normal. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!
>
> I believe you need to delete the file every time you restart Emacs. We
> don’t have any other work‐around for this at the moment as we don’t
> know why it’s happening.
> --
> Alan Third

Hi, Alan,

The problem seems to have disappeared after yesterday's release of the 6th developer beta.

Cheers,

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
artemiog@mac.com

* Re: problem with Emacs 25.2.1 under Mac OS 10.13 beta 5
@ 2017-08-15 21:03         ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2017-08-15 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artemio González López; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 08:51:06PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 05:47:12PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
> >> After deleting the file ~/Library/Colors/Emacs.clr, everything went
> >> back to normal. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!
> >
> > I believe you need to delete the file every time you restart Emacs. We
> > don’t have any other work‐around for this at the moment as we don’t
> > know why it’s happening.
>
> Hi, Alan,
>
> The problem seems to have disappeared after yesterday's release of the 6th developer beta.

Thanks for letting us know.
--
Alan Third