emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-01 21:34 Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-12-01 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30 years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not wanting to exit the app :-).

TIA,
Keith Lancaster
klancaster1957@acm.org

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-01 22:59 ` Ben Finney
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Ben Finney @ 2009-12-01 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> writes:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> use?

I use Gnus for NNTP (e.g. for participating in this forum), and am
really liking it. I would dearly love to use Gnus for email too, and am
this →← close, but I have an interactive external program generating my
message signatures and I can't figure out how to get it working in Emacs
quite as easily as it does in Mutt.

--
 \       “… whoever claims any right that he is unwilling to accord to |
  `\             his fellow-men is dishonest and infamous.” —Robert G. |

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-01 23:28 ` David Bremner
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: David Bremner @ 2009-12-01 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

Keith Lancaster wrote:

>I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
>emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
>use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30
>years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not
>wanting to exit the app :-).

I use wanderlust. It interacts with Org-mode pretty well. See back on
topic :).  I used to use VM, but at the time (a few years ago), the
imap was a bit of an afterthought.  Some people like mew, I think it
is a bit simpler than wanderlust if you don't need the offline
features of wanderlust.  A very new contender is notmuch, but IMHO, it
is not quite ready for general use.

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-01 23:36 ` Nick Dokos
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-12-01 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> wrote:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are emacs =
> experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you use? =
> Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30 years in =
> other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not wanting to exit =
> the app :-).

I've used MH for more than 20 years and I have never been tempted by
anything else (I tried gnus/mutt/thunderbird and I still use them on
defective (i.e. non-mh capable :-)) machines - but I will stop using MH
only when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers). Of course, I use mh-e
as the emacs interface, but it's handy to have the underlying MH
programs available.

I use fetchmail to download my mail from a couple of different pop/imap
servers I use and store it locally on my laptop (where I also use mairix
to index it). So MH only has to read the local store. It can also do pop
with the appropriate incantation but it is fundamentally inconsistent
with imap (imap insists on storing mail on the server, whereas MH wants
it local). But I like the separation of concerns: fetchmail runs around
like crazy and downloads the mail from all the servers out there, using
all sorts of protocols; MH has only to worry about the local setup.

This is just my 2 cents and it's not worth much more than that either:
email is a very personal choice and finger memory is probably the most
important advantage of my solution, so it may be worse than useless for
you.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-01 23:57 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-12-01 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

I use wanderlust for email (including this list) and it works really well with
imap. I was somewhat hard to configure, but now that everything is working I
don't feel like going back to my previous e-mail client (evolution).

- Darlan Cavalcante

At Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:34:24 -0600,
Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> wrote:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30 years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not wanting to exit the app :-).
>
> TIA,
> Keith Lancaster
> klancaster1957@acm.org

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  0:39   ` Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-12-02  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:

> I use wanderlust for email (including this list) and it works really well with
> imap. I was somewhat hard to configure, but now that everything is working I
> don't feel like going back to my previous e-mail client (evolution).
>
> - Darlan Cavalcante

Thanks for all the responses! Looks like I have a bit of investigating
to do. Second try posting this from gnus...

Keith

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-02  0:40 ` Matt Lundin
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-02  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> writes:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30
> years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not
> wanting to exit the app :-).

Gnus here, though I'm eager to follow the development of notmuch.el.

For me, gnus is much more than a mail client. It is my "everything and
the kitchen sink" reader: mail, nntp, web/rss. Thanks to Carsten and
Tassilo's work, gnus integrates exceptionally well with org-mode

- Matt

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-02  1:02 ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2009-12-02  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

I ended up choosing Gnus.  It is way to complex for me, but it is included in the standard Gnu Emacs distribution.  To add packets to Gnu Emacs is much more complicated than it should be.

For example, I would like to read html email in Gnus using w3m, but it seems that the latest version of emacs-w3m does not work with Emacs 23.  I am very happy that orgmode is included in Gnu Emacs and that it is fairly easy to update.

I am still learning Gnus, and I am starting to like it.

Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Texas A&M University

http://www.coe.tamu.edu/~enrico

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-02  2:15 ` Dan Davison
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-12-02  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> writes:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30
> years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not
> wanting to exit the app :-).

Also gnus. It's very nice once it's working and it's fine to get it set
up if you're good at that sort of thing or have a few spare weeks. The
manual is extremely comprehensive and pretty funny but basically
horrifying. The summary buffer containing news/emails will look awful to
start off with but it is possible to make it look nice (e.g. the
wikipedia screenshot) by configuring gnus-summary-line-format and (if
not in a terminal) by using non-ascii arrow characters to represent
threads e.g.

  (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-vertical        "│")
  (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-leaf-with-other "├─► ")
  (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-single-leaf     "╰─► "))

Dan

> TIA,
> Keith Lancaster
> klancaster1957@acm.org

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  2:56   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-12-02  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:15:27PM -0500, Dan Davison wrote:
> Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> writes:
>
> > I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> > emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> > use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30
> > years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not
> > wanting to exit the app :-).
>
> Also gnus. It's very nice once it's working and it's fine to get it set
> up if you're good at that sort of thing or have a few spare weeks. The
> manual is extremely comprehensive and pretty funny but basically
> horrifying. The summary buffer containing news/emails will look awful to
> start off with but it is possible to make it look nice (e.g. the
> wikipedia screenshot) by configuring gnus-summary-line-format and (if
> not in a terminal) by using non-ascii arrow characters to represent
> threads e.g.
>
>   (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-vertical        "???")
>   (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-leaf-with-other "????????? ")
>   (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-single-leaf     "????????? "))
>
> Dan

I'm suppose I'm still an exception here. I'm using Mutt, though I edit
outbound messages in emacs.

My email toolchain goes like this:

 - fetchmail downloads from several different servers
 - procmail sorts email into the proper inbox or other folder
   - I use maildir for backend storage, I gave up on mbox a long time ago
 - Mutt reads the email in all the various folders
 - Mutt automatically changes my email address depending on the
   recipient or folder according to a series of "roles"
 - Mutt spawns an emacsclient in order to edit an outgoing message
 - msmtp uses the from header to determine which mail server to use
   for outbound SMTP

Gnus, MH, Wanderlust, etc would only replace the Mutt portion, which
is really only reading the email and the "roles" support.

As a sidenote I have dovecot setup so that my maildir folders are
accessible to Thunderbird in Windows should I choose to access it
inside VMWare.

I'm open to using Emacs constantly, so whats the big draw for these
other mail modes?

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-02  6:30 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-12-02  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 01/12/2009 22:34, Keith Lancaster a écrit :
> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30 years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not wanting to exit the app :-).

I am using Rmail.

I have used all possible MUA for GNU Emacs on Earth but simplicity and
ease of use is really important to me.

- Gnus was and is still too heavy for my needs and it is full of useless
gadgets for me (threads, groups, posting style, ...).
- Wanderlust is nice too and really powerful (virtual folders was why I
chose it). I am now using wl exclusively for NNTP (which I do not
practice that much lately)
- MH and its emacs fronted is nice if you have time to learn how the
system is working (the learning curve is huge in my opinion). So sorry
since it is the one that I preferred.
- VM is more or less an "enhanced rmail".

After several tries at all of them, rmail has still my preference:

- comes with official GNU Emacs distribution
- really simple
- no complex setup (thus not tempted to play with it)

My mail system is like that:

fetchmail -> rmail. Full stop.

When I read an email either I answer to it if needed or it is deleted. I
no longer archive all and everything for years (for nothing). When I
archive something it is outside my way.

Xavier

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  6:36     ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2009-12-02  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have used vm for a very long time (after using rmail for an even
longer time), and am reasonably happy with it: it manages mime and
attachments pretty well, specially in combination with w3m, handles
imap/pop well (although I use fetchmail), it is very fast in use, and
its virtual folder capabilities are extremely useful.  It also has a
mairix interface.  Hey, if we also had a good browser I would never
exit emacs... ;-) (*) I have also tried gnus but I find it a bit too
hard to configure and overall too complicated for the task.

Having said the above, I think an emacs mail reader based on modern
search and tags would be *fantastic*.  Notmuch looks very interesting!
(Although I have not had time yet to test it thoroughly.)

Manuel

(*) I use conkeror as external browser, which is the closest thing to
staying inside emacs. I also use w3m for quick stuff (e.g., within
vm), but it falls short on certain things.

 Manuel Hermenegildo                     | Prof., C.S.Dept., T.U. Madrid (UPM)
 Director, IMDEA Software and CLIP Group | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  6:39     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2009-12-02  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:56:08 -0600

Russell> I'm suppose I'm still an exception here. I'm using Mutt,
Russell> though I edit outbound messages in emacs.

I used to use Gnus, but switched back to Claws so it's easier for my
other family members.

Russell>
Russell> My email toolchain goes like this:
Russell>
Russell>  - fetchmail downloads from several different servers
Russell>  - procmail sorts email into the proper inbox or other folder
Russell>    - I use maildir for backend storage, I gave up on mbox a
Russell> long time ago

I'm using getmail to fetch from different servers, maildrop to sort
and dovecot running on localhost so that has Claws access to all the
mail via IMAP (that's how I used it with Gnus as well), while
emacsclient is used as Claws' external editor.

I used Gnus for nntp & rss, but had too many problems with
unrecognised rss feeds and I had to pull news every 20mins or so due
to problems with Gnus <--> Dovecot timeout-ing. Moreover, Gnus tends
to be slow and considering Emacs' single-threading, I went back to
Claws despite having desire to do almost-everything in Emacs.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  7:59   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-12-02  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:

Hi Ben,

>> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
>> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
>> use?
>
> I use Gnus for NNTP (e.g. for participating in this forum), and am
> really liking it. I would dearly love to use Gnus for email too, and
> am this →← close, but I have an interactive external program
> generating my message signatures and I can't figure out how to get it
> working in Emacs quite as easily as it does in Mutt.

This should be very easy.  Have a look at

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMnemonics

where the fortune program is used as signature program.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  8:03   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-12-02  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Henri-Paul,

> For example, I would like to read html email in Gnus using w3m, but it
> seems that the latest version of emacs-w3m does not work with Emacs
> 23.

Check out the CVS version of emacs-w3m.  It works with recent emacsen.
(I really wonder why the emacs-w3m guys don't push a new release out...)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  8:31     ` Ben Finney
From: Ben Finney @ 2009-12-02  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > I would dearly love to use Gnus for email too, and am this →← close,
> > but I have an interactive external program generating my message
> > signatures and I can't figure out how to get it working in Emacs
> > quite as easily as it does in Mutt.
>
> This should be very easy.  Have a look at
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMnemonics
>
> where the fortune program is used as signature program.

That misses the fact that, as I said above, I use an *interactive*
program for generating my signature block. It's not a matter of
generating output unilaterally from the program. I interact with the
program on the console (saying yes or no to proposed random signatures),
and it then modifies an existing message file in-place. I can't figure
out how to get Emacs to work with this program.

Anyway, this is now wildly off-topic for an Org discussion forum.

--
 \                  “Holy bouncing boiler-plated fits, Batman!” —Robin |
Ben Finney

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02  9:23       ` bluedian
From: bluedian @ 2009-12-02  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm looking for a configuration example of a mairix/gnus/org-mode (for org-mode
just the link between gnus and mairix) configuration and have some questions :
- I've read that there were problems with mairix and utf-8 encoding, is is still
true ?
- It is also possible to use mairix for indexing the mail I send ?

I use gnus since 7 years but don't parametrize it since a long time (I remember
spending a long time to do it).

I use a fetchmail/procmail process in order to have local mail boxes. I also
encounter some performance problem with gnus (with huge mail box), it's why
I want now to use mairix.

I also hope, as Xavier suggest, to keep a small active mail box and delegate the
classification part in org-mode (delete a mail or answers it or put it in an
task for deferred action or save attached part in some place).

My use of Mairix will be just for storing a trace of incoming (and outcoming ?)
mail and searching in : I sometimes need to check if someone has really send me
a mail (my students for instance). And I send a lot of identical mails along the
year (so retrieving one and copy/cut rapidly help me gaining time).

Regards,
BlueDian

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-02  9:37 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-12-02  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

At Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:34:24 -0600,
Keith Lancaster wrote:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30
> years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not
> wanting to exit the app :-).

I use wanderlust.  Works well.  I have also used gnus in the past (but
just couldn't get comfortable with its world view...).

The only thing I would highlight is that, in my experience, emacs
based MUAs are slow (say in comparison with mutt) and don't function
well with mailboxes with, say, 5000 messages.  I've moved to a "0 size
mailbox" approach to handling my email (which works well with org and,
in fact, requires org to work at all really) so this is not an issue
for me.

HTH.

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 11:01   ` jemarch
From: jemarch @ 2009-12-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: Org Mode List

   I've moved to a "0 size mailbox" approach to handling my email
   (which works well with org and, in fact, requires org to work at
   all really) so this is not an issue for me.

That sounds like an interesting approach.  Could you elaborate on
that? Yes, I also have problems with my huge longstanding mailboxes
:(

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-02 12:58 ` Otto Diesenbacher
From: Otto Diesenbacher @ 2009-12-02 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> writes:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> use?

(http://www.mew.org current version is 6.3).

I am wondering noone else mentioned it already. Mew can handle pop, imap
and local mail very well, also can handle SSL via stunnel.

I am now using it for about 4 years. The mailing list is very helpfull.

br
  okflo

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 13:43   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2009-12-02 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 20:57 -0300, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:
> I use wanderlust for email (including this list) and it works really well with
> imap. I was somewhat hard to configure, but now that everything is working I
> don't feel like going back to my previous e-mail client (evolution).

darlan, would you be willing to share your config for wl?  i can't seem
to make any headway with it at all.  i'm just looking for a light
emacs-based mail reader/imap client on my aging laptop, which is mostly
an emacs machine now.  GNUS can see my mail, but it's just so heavy for
what i'm looking for, and also doesn't seem to want to honor the imap
conventions in terms of hiding deleted messages, which is sort of
essential for me as things stand.

My main machine at home runs evolution, and for now, i'm not ready to to
move away entirely -- I hate evolution, but i'm used to it, and don't
want to break my work habits till i've figured something else out.

Anyway thanks much in advance!

matt

> - Darlan Cavalcante
>
> At Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:34:24 -0600,
> Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30 years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not wanting to exit the app :-).
> >
> > TIA,
> > Keith Lancaster
> > klancaster1957@acm.org

Matt Price
matt.price@utoronto.ca

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 14:22     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-12-02 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-12-02 00:39 +0000, Keith Lancaster wrote:
> Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use wanderlust for email (including this list) and it works really
>> well with imap. I was somewhat hard to configure, but now that
>> everything is working I don't feel like going back to my previous
>> e-mail client (evolution).
>>
>> - Darlan Cavalcante
>>

> Thanks for all the responses! Looks like I have a bit of investigating
> to do. Second try posting this from gnus...
>
> Keith

I would also recommend Gnus. Not only it is included in Emacs but also
actively maintained.

Leo

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 14:24     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-12-02 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jemarch; +Cc: Keith Lancaster, Org Mode List

At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:01:38 +0100,
jemarch@gnu.org wrote:

>    I've moved to a "0 size mailbox" approach to handling my email
>    (which works well with org and, in fact, requires org to work at
>    all really) so this is not an issue for me.
>
> That sounds like an interesting approach.  Could you elaborate on
> that? Yes, I also have problems with my huge longstanding mailboxes
> :(

google "zero email approach" and you'll get all kinds of blogs etc on
this topic, including those that recommend the complete opposite
approach (never delete email).  For instance, here are two:

http://interimvptoday.com/email-inbox-zero-versus-never-delete-email/
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/009311.html

These and the others you will find allude to this approach fitting in
with the more general GTD view, which is why org-mode is critical (for
me) to get this working.

The summary is 5 actions when dealing with new email:

    * Delete: just get rid of it (or archive it)
    * Delegate: get someone else to deal with it
    * Respond: if it takes just a few minutes, do it right now
    * Defer: put it on a todo list, archive it, and deal with it later
    * Do: handle whatever the email actually needs you to do

The aim is to not have to go back to your inbox to see what you have
to deal with -- that's what org-mode (or whatever) is for.  Too much
time is wasted trawling through huge inboxes looking for actions to
respond to which means you're using an inbox as a todo list.  This is
not effective.

Others will of course argue otherwise!  All I can say is that I
switched to this approach about 9 months ago and I couldn't go back!
The stress relief is incredible...

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 16:31       ` jemarch
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jemarch @ 2009-12-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Keith Lancaster, Org Mode List

    These and the others you will find allude to this approach fitting
    in with the more general GTD view, which is why org-mode is
    critical (for me) to get this working.

I actually do something similar, but keeping the physical emails.  I
maintain (in wanderlust) an Inbox folder and a General folder to hold
my emails.  I process the Inbox in a GTD style.  For each message:

    1) If it is not interesting, delete.
    2) If it is useful for reference, archive it in the ref system and
       move the email to General, without storing any link to it in my
       reference system.
    3) If it is an email that I can answer quickly, do it and move the
       email to General.
    4) If it is an email that I want to answer but that requires some
       using remember, create a new NEXT item in my todo.org.  The NEXT
       item has an hyperlink pointing to the email in the General mbox.

Now, I wonder if is it possible to implement the previous system
without having to maintain the General mbox (that is huge).  It is
clear that I could simply remove the emails in 2) after archiving its
contents in my reference system.  But, what about the emails in 3) and
4)?  How do you store an email that you will eventually answer if not
in an mbox?

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 17:00     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-12-02 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:01:38PM +0100, jemarch@gnu.org wrote:

>    I've moved to a "0 size mailbox" approach to handling my email
>    (which works well with org and, in fact, requires org to work at
>    all really) so this is not an issue for me.
>
> That sounds like an interesting approach.  Could you elaborate on
> that? Yes, I also have problems with my huge longstanding mailboxes
> :(

Since I use maildir its fairly easy to perform mass operations on
email.

I have a shell script which nightly moved messages that are over two
weeks old and aren't "flagged" to an archive folder, which keeps my
normal mailbox access quick. Typically less than 300 messages in any
incoming folder, and archives grow forever.

Incoming folder:  ~/Mail/.Domain.com/Inbox/{cur,tmp,new}
Archive  folder:  ~/Mail/.Archive.Domain.com/Inbox/{cur,tmp,new}

# Any directory with an Archive subdir will be autoarchived.
# /home/rladams/Maildir/.Adamsinfoserv_com.Inbox is archived to
# /home/rladams/Maildir/.Archive.Adamsinfoserv_com.Inbox

echo "********** $0 running at `date`"

find /home/rladams/Maildir -type d -name .Archive.\* | \
    while read MyArchive
do

	SRC=`echo $MyArchive | sed 's/\.Archive//g'`

  # If file is older than 14 days, and isn't flagged, move it.

	[ -d ${SRC}/cur ] && {
		echo "********** Archiving $SRC to $MyArchive."
		find ${SRC}/cur -type f -mtime +14 ! -name '*,*F*' | \
			grep '^/home/rladams/Maildir' | \
			while read X
		do
			echo     mv $X ${MyArchive}/cur
			mv $X ${MyArchive}/cur
		done
	}
done

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 17:31       ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2009-12-02 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

[...]

> The summary is 5 actions when dealing with new email:
>
>     * Delete: just get rid of it (or archive it)
>     * Delegate: get someone else to deal with it
>     * Respond: if it takes just a few minutes, do it right now
>     * Defer: put it on a todo list, archive it, and deal with it later
>     * Do: handle whatever the email actually needs you to do
>
> The aim is to not have to go back to your inbox to see what you have
> to deal with -- that's what org-mode (or whatever) is for.  Too much
> time is wasted trawling through huge inboxes looking for actions to
> respond to which means you're using an inbox as a todo list.  This is
> not effective.

To come back to the initial discussion, note that gnus is well adapted
for this: by default, a read mail do not show-up anymore, making
everything automatically archived.

[...]

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 18:33       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-12-02 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Keith Lancaster, Org Mode List

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> http://interimvptoday.com/email-inbox-zero-versus-never-delete-email/
> http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/009311.html
>
> These and the others you will find allude to this approach fitting in
> with the more general GTD view, which is why org-mode is critical (for
> me) to get this working.
>
> The summary is 5 actions when dealing with new email:
>
>     * Delete: just get rid of it (or archive it)
>     * Delegate: get someone else to deal with it
>     * Respond: if it takes just a few minutes, do it right now
>     * Defer: put it on a todo list, archive it, and deal with it later
>     * Do: handle whatever the email actually needs you to do

FWIW I've been using gnus for ~1year (moved from VM) and I find that the
gnus "ticks" are perfect for this sort of workflow -- if I tick an
article is persists and I know I need to respond at some point, if I
don't tick an article is disappears -- hidden but still in my inbox
until it is automatically archived after a month or so.

* Re: Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 18:38       ` David Neu
From: David Neu @ 2009-12-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-12-02 00:39 +0000, Keith Lancaster wrote:
>> Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I use wanderlust for email (including this list) and it works really
>>> well with imap. I was somewhat hard to configure, but now that
>>> everything is working I don't feel like going back to my previous
>>> e-mail client (evolution).
>>>
>>> - Darlan Cavalcante
>>>

>> Thanks for all the responses! Looks like I have a bit of investigating
>> to do. Second try posting this from gnus...
>>
>> Keith
>
> I would also recommend Gnus. Not only it is included in Emacs but also
> actively maintained.
>
> Leo

Anyone have any experience using Gnus with Gmail via IMAP?

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-02 19:03       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-02 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Keith Lancaster, Org Mode List

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:01:38 +0100,
> jemarch@gnu.org wrote:
>>    I've moved to a "0 size mailbox" approach to handling my email
>>    (which works well with org and, in fact, requires org to work at
>>    all really) so this is not an issue for me.
>>
>> That sounds like an interesting approach.  Could you elaborate on
>> that? Yes, I also have problems with my huge longstanding mailboxes
>> :(
>
> The aim is to not have to go back to your inbox to see what you have
> to deal with -- that's what org-mode (or whatever) is for.  Too much
> time is wasted trawling through huge inboxes looking for actions to
> respond to which means you're using an inbox as a todo list.  This is
> not effective.

As an aside, this is precisely why I like Gnus so much. By default, read
messages are hidden -- so it makes it easy to get down to "zero" without
having to refile, archive, or delete anything. Automatic
archiving/expiry takes care of the problem of overly large mailboxes.

- Matt

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 20:30         ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2009-12-02 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jemarch; +Cc: Keith Lancaster, Org Mode List

At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:31:05 +0100,
jemarch@gnu.org wrote:

>     These and the others you will find allude to this approach fitting
>     in with the more general GTD view, which is why org-mode is
>     critical (for me) to get this working.
>
> I actually do something similar, but keeping the physical emails.  I
> maintain (in wanderlust) an Inbox folder and a General folder to hold
> my emails.  I process the Inbox in a GTD style.  For each message:
>
>     1) If it is not interesting, delete.
>     2) If it is useful for reference, archive it in the ref system and
>        move the email to General, without storing any link to it in my
>        reference system.
>     3) If it is an email that I can answer quickly, do it and move the
>        email to General.
>     4) If it is an email that I want to answer but that requires some
>        using remember, create a new NEXT item in my todo.org.  The NEXT
>        item has an hyperlink pointing to the email in the General mbox.
>
> Now, I wonder if is it possible to implement the previous system
> without having to maintain the General mbox (that is huge).  It is
> clear that I could simply remove the emails in 2) after archiving its
> contents in my reference system.  But, what about the emails in 3) and
> 4)?  How do you store an email that you will eventually answer if not
> in an mbox?

I just started to stop maintaining my inbox at all appr. 3 weeks ago
and up to now it's working fine. I am currently not getting that much
email so I can't tell if it will work out but I seems to be a
interesting way to go.

So, what I do is this:

- I do not use the regular orgmode link to wanderlust messages,
  because up to now the folder a message is in (or is refiled to) is
  part of the link; what means that if I move the message somewhere
  else I know for certain that the link in orgmode is broken.

  I want to store a link to a message regardless where the message
  resides, so I use a "Namazu search folder" (Manual 3.9). That is: I
  index my messages regularly (once per hour is enough for me) with
  Namazu (www.namazu.org) and use a special remember template for
  messages with a hand-crafted link to the search folder:

  ,----
  | [[wl:%5B%:message-id%5D~/.elmo/namazu#%:message-id][%:message-id]]
  `----

  Opening these links with Orgmode works fine: It fires up Wanderlust
  and opens the message with the particular message id.

  The only thing that bugs me is that I have to hand craft the
  search-folder-links manually and hence need a special remember
  template for messages.

  Luckily Orgmode is free software so I started to work on a patch
  that expands Orgmode's capabilities on storing links to wanderlust
  messages, including Namazu search folders[1].

- all new messages go in the inbox

- I do not access the inbox directly but use a "Filter Folder" (Manual
  3.11) that shows unread messages and messages flagged as "important" ($)

  .folders
  ,----
  | /flag:digest/%INBOX			"Inbox (Digest)"
  `----

- If new messages are in the inbox they are show in this folder; I
  read every message:

  - if the message is useful for reference, I use a remember template
    that stores a special hand-crafted link mentioned above

  - if the message requires an answer, I mark it "important" und file
    a remember template that references this message with the
    hand-crafted link

  - if I am not certain whether I should answer the message or not it
    is marked "important"; so they stay in sight.

  - in all other cases reading the message moves it out of the filter
    folder next time I open it

- I archived received and sent messages of the previous year in january
  but playing with Wanderlust's build-in archive functions (Manual,
  Chp. 9: Automatic Expiration and Archiving of Messages) is on my
  list

To sum it up: I solved the problem of "Zero Inbox" not by moving
and/or deleting mails but by using Wanderlust's capabilities of
showing messages based on different criterions. So maybe the question
is not where to /store/ messages but how to access them.

Regards,

  -- David

PS: Hum. While writing this I notice that marking messages as
important and filing a todo-item is redundant. So "mark important"
should go for messages I am not certain about whether I should reply
or not.

[1] There will be a proposal soon.
--
OpenPGP... 0x316F4BE4670716FD
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 21:04     ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2009-12-02 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:43:51 -0500,
Matt Price wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 20:57 -0300, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:
> > I use wanderlust for email (including this list) and it works really well with
> > imap. I was somewhat hard to configure, but now that everything is working I
> > don't feel like going back to my previous e-mail client (evolution).
> >

> darlan, would you be willing to share your config for wl?  i can't seem
> to make any headway with it at all.  i'm just looking for a light
> emacs-based mail reader/imap client on my aging laptop, which is mostly
> an emacs machine now.  GNUS can see my mail, but it's just so heavy for
> what i'm looking for, and also doesn't seem to want to honor the imap
> conventions in terms of hiding deleted messages, which is sort of
> essential for me as things stand.

Just pushed my Wanderlust configuration to github:

http://github.com/dmj/dotfiles/blob/master/.wl

A simple configuration: I use a local imap server to access my mails
and gmail to send. What helped me to get in touch with Wanderlust
after an unsuccessful attempt was this blog posting:

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/06/e-mail-with-wanderlust.html

 - describing a setup with a local maildir storage.

Regards,

  -- David

--

@ 2009-12-02 22:48         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-12-02 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Neu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo

David Neu <david@davidneu.com> writes:

> Anyone have any experience using Gnus with Gmail via IMAP?

My gmail setup basically uses the following template (although I use pop
for gmail, and only use Imap for my school mail) -- Eric

[-- Attachment #2: gnus-setup-template.el --]

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-02 23:08         ` Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-12-02 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Neu <david@davidneu.com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for all the responses! Looks like I have a bit of investigating
>>> to do. Second try posting this from gnus...
>>>
>>> Keith
>>
>> I would also recommend Gnus. Not only it is included in Emacs but also
>> actively maintained.
>>
>> Leo
>>

> Anyone have any experience using Gnus with Gmail via IMAP?

Actually, my goal (unstated in the original post) is to use Gmail via
IMAP. Based on the recommendations from the group, I got it working last
night. So far, so good. Lots of configuration, however, and I don't have
searching in place yet, and don't quite know how it all fits in with
org-mode yet.

Some pretty good info here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

Keith

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03  5:21         ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2009-12-03  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Neu <david@davidneu.com> writes:

[...]

> Anyone have any experience using Gnus with Gmail via IMAP?

I've a somewhat complicated setup for this.

It's server three purpose
- I want a copy of my mail locally for speed and backup
- I want my mail on gmail to been accessible from everywhere
- I want both to be synchronized

So I use offlineimap to have a local maildir that is a mirror of Gmail's
imap view of my mail. But gnus support of maildir is terrible, and I
want gnus because I want only one software for mail and news, and I'm
used to gnus.

So I use a local imap server (dovecot) to read my mail So:

gmail <--- offlineimap ---> maildir <--- dovecot ---> gnus

It is complicated, but I can read my mail from any computer, using
gnus+IMAP if it's one of my computer, and gmail webmail for the rest.

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03  6:38       ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2009-12-03  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:56:08PM -0600, Russell Adams wrote:
>>  - Mutt automatically changes my email address depending on the
>>    recipient or folder according to a series of "roles"
>
> Not to reply to myself, but one item I've found lacking in other
> mailreaders and one of my primary reasons for using mutt is the
> concept of "roles".
>
> Do any of the emacs readers support that effectively from someones
> direct experience?

I'm not sure what a role is, but with gnus, you can change you email
address depending on the folder (group in gnus speak) or the topic
(topic are a hierarchical organization of group). For this you use
posting-style.

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03  7:05     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-12-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2009-12-03  8:22         ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-12-03  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rémi Vanicat <vanicat@debian.org> wrote:

> Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:56:08PM -0600, Russell Adams wrote:
>>>  - Mutt automatically changes my email address depending on the
>>>    recipient or folder according to a series of "roles"
>>
>> Not to reply to myself, but one item I've found lacking in other
>> mailreaders and one of my primary reasons for using mutt is the
>> concept of "roles".
>
> I'm not sure what a role is, but with gnus, you can change you email
> address depending on the folder (group in gnus speak) or the topic
> (topic are a hierarchical organization of group). For this you use
> posting-style.

There's also `gnus-alias'[1] which allows you to automagically select
and easily switch identities. An `identity' covers nearly every aspect
of a message like From-, Reply-To- and other headers, text to be
pre-filled into the body and of course signatures. Having used quite a
few mail-/news clients (well, ages ago, I must admit) I never came
across a more powerful and flexible mechanism for using roles.

Ulf

[1] http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html#MyPackages

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03 10:53       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-12-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:56:08PM -0600, Russell Adams wrote:
>>  - Mutt automatically changes my email address depending on the
>>    recipient or folder according to a series of "roles"
>
> Not to reply to myself, but one item I've found lacking in other
> mailreaders and one of my primary reasons for using mutt is the
> concept of "roles".
>
> Do any of the emacs readers support that effectively from someones
> direct experience?

I use gnus-posting-styles to set header information for outgoing mail
based on the current folder I'm in.  For me this changes the name, email
address, signature, organization, and X-URL based on which email folder
I reply or create mail from.

I also presort my mail into folders before any MUA sees the mail (mine
are on a private IMAP server) and normally read mail from the inbox the
mail was sorted to.  Then I just reply without having to think about
setting the identity since the gnus-posting-styles rules creates the
proper headers.

-Bernt

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03 11:25           ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-03 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:

> Rémi Vanicat <vanicat@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

>>> Not to reply to myself, but one item I've found lacking in other
>>> mailreaders and one of my primary reasons for using mutt is the
>>> concept of "roles".
>>
>> I'm not sure what a role is, but with gnus, you can change you email
>> address depending on the folder (group in gnus speak) or the topic
>> (topic are a hierarchical organization of group). For this you use
>> posting-style.
>
> There's also `gnus-alias'[1] which allows you to automagically select
> and easily switch identities. An `identity' covers nearly every aspect
> of a message like From-, Reply-To- and other headers, text to be
> pre-filled into the body and of course signatures. Having used quite a
> few mail-/news clients (well, ages ago, I must admit) I never came
> across a more powerful and flexible mechanism for using roles.

I second the recommendation of gnus-alias. I have rules set up to set my
email address automatically depending on the "To" or "Cc" line. And, as
others have mentioned, there's the built-in gnus-posting-styles.

I used wanderlust for a while and it has excellent "role" functionality
built-in (via the variables wl-draft-config-alist and
wl-template-alist).

- Matt

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03 16:53       ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2009-12-03 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 22:04 +0100, David Maus wrote:
> At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:43:51 -0500,
> Matt Price wrote:
> >
> > [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> > [1.1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 20:57 -0300, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:
> > > I use wanderlust for email (including this list) and it works really well with
> > > imap. I was somewhat hard to configure, but now that everything is working I
> > > don't feel like going back to my previous e-mail client (evolution).
> > >

> > darlan, would you be willing to share your config for wl?  i can't seem
> > to make any headway with it at all.  i'm just looking for a light
> > emacs-based mail reader/imap client on my aging laptop, which is mostly
> > an emacs machine now.  GNUS can see my mail, but it's just so heavy for
> > what i'm looking for, and also doesn't seem to want to honor the imap
> > conventions in terms of hiding deleted messages, which is sort of
> > essential for me as things stand.
>
> Just pushed my Wanderlust configuration to github:
>
> http://github.com/dmj/dotfiles/blob/master/.wl
>
> A simple configuration: I use a local imap server to access my mails
> and gmail to send. What helped me to get in touch with Wanderlust
> after an unsuccessful attempt was this blog posting:
>
> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/06/e-mail-with-wanderlust.html
>
>  - describing a setup with a local maildir storage.

thanks david, and also to eric, who sent me his.  With both your help I
have wanderlust up and running, though still with some confusions (how
do I hide read or deleted messages?  why won't wl actually send any
mail?  etc.).  I'm sure i'll be able to clear those up soon, though.

Anyway, thanks.

matt

--
Matt Price
matt.price@utoronto.ca

* Re: Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03 17:10   ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2009-12-03 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otto Diesenbacher; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Otto Diesenbacher <okflo@diesenbacher.net> writes:

> Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> writes:
>
>> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
>> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
>> use?
>
> (http://www.mew.org current version is 6.3).
>
> I am wondering noone else mentioned it already. Mew can handle pop, imap
> and local mail very well, also can handle SSL via stunnel.

This seems a very good email client.  I see one issue though: it does not link to orgmode.  From the orgmode manual we can read that only the following email clients do:

VM, Wanderlust, MHE, Rmail, Gnus

Otherwise, it looks exactly like what I am looking for.

Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Texas A&M University

http://www.coe.tamu.edu/~enrico

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03 17:51     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-03 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: Otto Diesenbacher, emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Otto Diesenbacher <okflo@diesenbacher.net> writes:
>
>> Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@acm.org> writes:
>>
>>> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
>>> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
>>> use?
>>
>> (http://www.mew.org current version is 6.3).
>>
>> I am wondering noone else mentioned it already. Mew can handle pop, imap
>> and local mail very well, also can handle SSL via stunnel.
>
> This seems a very good email client.  I see one issue though: it does not link to orgmode.  From the orgmode manual we can read that only the following email clients do:
>
> VM, Wanderlust, MHE, Rmail, Gnus
>
> Otherwise, it looks exactly like what I am looking for.

Though I haven't used it, there is an org-mew module in the
repositories. Moreover, it is activated in the default setting of
org-modules:

,----
| org-modules is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is
| (org-bbdb org-bibtex org-docview org-gnus org-info org-jsinfo org-irc org-mew org-mhe org-rmail org-vm org-w3m org-wl)
`----

Best,
Matt

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03 19:53       ` Enrico Indiogine
From: Enrico Indiogine @ 2009-12-03 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matt!

> Though I haven't used it, there is an org-mew module in the
> repositories. Moreover, it is activated in the default setting of
> org-modules:
>
> ,----
> | org-modules is a variable defined in `org.el'.
> | Its value is
> | (org-bbdb org-bibtex org-docview org-gnus org-info org-jsinfo org-irc org-mew org-mhe org-rmail org-vm org-w3m org-wl)
> `----

Let me make sure that I understand: Mew actually does work with
orgmode, but the documentation does not (yet) reflect that?

Thanks,
Enrico

--
Enrico Indiogine

Mathematics Education
Texas A&M University

Email: hindiogine@gmail.com
Skype: hindiogine
Website: http://www.coe.tamu.edu/~enrico

"Rien ne va de soi.  Rien n'est donné. Tous est construit."   Gaston
Bachelard, 1934

* Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
@ 2009-12-03 21:55         ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-12-03 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)