emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-15 22:56 fm4d
From: fm4d @ 2016-04-15 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, I found an indentation bug in the master branch.

Steps to reproduce:

* Test 1
** Test 2
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (setq foo 1
	   bar 2)
#+END_SRC

Paste this code into org-mode buffer with org-startup-indented turn on
org-indented-mode. You should see the src block missindented like this:

  (setq foo 1
	bar 2)

I've tracked this bug to this commit
http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/commit/a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-16  0:57 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-04-16  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:

> Hello, I found an indentation bug in the master branch.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> * Test 1
> ** Test 2
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (setq foo 1
> 	   bar 2)
> #+END_SRC
>
> Paste this code into org-mode buffer with org-startup-indented turn on
> org-indented-mode. You should see the src block missindented like this:
>
>   (setq foo 1
> 	bar 2)
>
> I've tracked this bug to this commit
> http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/commit/a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c

Hm, I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Org doesn't automatically
reindent source blocks, as far as I know.  You can <C-c '> and reindent
the source buffer, and then when you save it it will be reflected in the
Org buffer.  I made a little function to do that as a command, which I
could share if you like.

Also, the examples you gave have mixed spaces and tabs, so it's hard to
tell whether they're indented correctly.  For example, I see the second
example indented correctly, while the first is not.  You might try
turning on whitespace-mode, which makes it easy to see where they are.

BTW, that commit is a large merge commit, so it's hard to see where the
problem would be.  You could try bisecting it on the branch it was
merged from.

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-16  8:45   ` fm4d
From: fm4d @ 2016-04-16  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:
>
>> Hello, I found an indentation bug in the master branch.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>>
>> * Test 1
>> ** Test 2
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>>   (setq foo 1
>> 	   bar 2)
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> Paste this code into org-mode buffer with org-startup-indented turn on
>> org-indented-mode. You should see the src block missindented like this:
>>
>>   (setq foo 1
>> 	bar 2)
>>
>> I've tracked this bug to this commit
>> http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/commit/a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c
>
> Hm, I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Org doesn't automatically
> reindent source blocks, as far as I know.  You can <C-c '> and reindent
> the source buffer, and then when you save it it will be reflected in the
> Org buffer.  I made a little function to do that as a command, which I
> could share if you like.
>
> Also, the examples you gave have mixed spaces and tabs, so it's hard to
> tell whether they're indented correctly.  For example, I see the second
> example indented correctly, while the first is not.  You might try
> turning on whitespace-mode, which makes it easy to see where they are.
>
> BTW, that commit is a large merge commit, so it's hard to see where the
> problem would be.  You could try bisecting it on the branch it was
> merged from.

I can see that I should have explain it with more clarity.
I am using <C-c '> and the actual code is indented correctly inside
<C-c '> and when tangled, BUT it is displayed incorrectly in the
src block after I return from <C-c '> and org-indent-mode is on.
The code I posted should show what I mean, the expression inside
src block (pasted and indented correctly inside <C-c '>) is just
incorrectly rendered outside of <C-c '>. Tracking it to this merge
commit was the best I could do, I was trying to look throught the
changes but with no luck.

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-16 10:14     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-16 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fm4d; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:

> I can see that I should have explain it with more clarity.
> I am using <C-c '> and the actual code is indented correctly inside
> <C-c '> and when tangled, BUT it is displayed incorrectly in the
> src block after I return from <C-c '> and org-indent-mode is on.
> The code I posted should show what I mean, the expression inside
> src block (pasted and indented correctly inside <C-c '>) is just
> incorrectly rendered outside of <C-c '>. Tracking it to this merge
> commit was the best I could do, I was trying to look throught the
> changes but with no luck.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce it either.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-16 14:31     ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-04-16 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:

> I can see that I should have explain it with more clarity.
> I am using <C-c '> and the actual code is indented correctly inside
> <C-c '> and when tangled, BUT it is displayed incorrectly in the
> src block after I return from <C-c '> and org-indent-mode is on.
> The code I posted should show what I mean, the expression inside
> src block (pasted and indented correctly inside <C-c '>) is just
> incorrectly rendered outside of <C-c '>. Tracking it to this merge
> commit was the best I could do, I was trying to look throught the
> changes but with no luck.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be something to do with
indenting with tabs vs. spaces.  Maybe check your indentation settings.
Also see if you can reproduce it with emacs -q; if not, it's probably an
issue with your config.

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-16 14:50       ` John Hendy
       [not found]         ` <5f4b206cd53f4894b6e8fe2bb5334a25@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: John Hendy @ 2016-04-16 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 16, 2016 09:31, "Adam Porter" <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:

> fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:
>
> > I can see that I should have explain it with more clarity.
> > I am using <C-c '> and the actual code is indented correctly inside
> > <C-c '> and when tangled, BUT it is displayed incorrectly in the
> > src block after I return from <C-c '> and org-indent-mode is on.
> > The code I posted should show what I mean, the expression inside
> > src block (pasted and indented correctly inside <C-c '>) is just
> > incorrectly rendered outside of <C-c '>. Tracking it to this merge
> > commit was the best I could do, I was trying to look throught the
> > changes but with no luck.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that it might be something to do with
> indenting with tabs vs. spaces.  Maybe check your indentation settings.
> Also see if you can reproduce it with emacs -q; if not, it's probably an
> issue with your config.

Not sure of it's the same, but I had some issues with spaces/tabs myself a
bit back and agree it's a good place to look.
- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-01/msg01505.html

One can also check the mentioned variable, org-src-preserve-indentation.

John

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-16 15:42         ` fm4d
       [not found]         ` <5f4b206cd53f4894b6e8fe2bb5334a25@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: fm4d @ 2016-04-16 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 16, 2016 09:31, "Adam Porter" <adam <at> alphapapa.net> wrote:
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is that it might be something to do with
> > indenting with tabs vs. spaces.  Maybe check your indentation settings.
> > Also see if you can reproduce it with emacs -q; if not, it's probably an
> > issue with your config.
> Not sure of it's the same, but I had some issues with spaces/tabs myself a
> bit back and agree it's a good place to look.
> - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-01/msg01505.html
> One can also check the mentioned variable, org-src-preserve-indentation.
> John

I made two short videos showing what exactly I mean.

http://fm4d.net/indent1.ogv - with master
http://fm4d.net/indent2.ogv - with 8.3.3

There is no configuration, .emacs only has three lines with

@ 2016-04-16 16:24           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-16 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fm4d; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 15:42, fm4d wrote:
> I made two short videos showing what exactly I mean.
>
> http://fm4d.net/indent1.ogv - with master
> http://fm4d.net/indent2.ogv - with 8.3.3

I don't understand why the behaviour is different with different
versions of org but, just in case, what is the setting of
indent-tabs-mode?  I find that things work best with this set to
nil.  The actual use of tabs is a holdover from typewriter days...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-705-g716e33

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-16 17:12             ` fm4d
From: fm4d @ 2016-04-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: fm4d, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Well, the behaviour is IMO different because something happend in the
commit
http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/commit/a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c
that broke it. The indent-tabs-mode is off.

@ 2016-04-16 17:29             ` fm4d
From: fm4d @ 2016-04-16 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I don't understand why the behaviour is different with different
> versions of org but, just in case, what is the setting of
> indent-tabs-mode?  I find that things work best with this set to
> nil.  The actual use of tabs is a holdover from typewriter days...

Well, you were right, (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) solved the
issue for me. Now I understand why nobody noticed it, but I still
find it weird that until the commit it worked for me even with
indent-tabs-mode on. Maybe it is worth some comment in
documentation because indent-tabs-mode is on by default.

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-19 19:18               ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fm4d; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:

> Well, the behaviour is IMO different because something happend in the
> commit
> http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/commit/a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c
> that broke it. The indent-tabs-mode is off.

Actually, that commit changes nothing. Could you double check your bisecting?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-20 17:16                 ` fm4d
From: fm4d @ 2016-04-20 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: fm4d, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I believe that this diff is part of that commit -
http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/blobdiff/1045e9e9c0e6438f5ee9dc4f0e5c720a8b670cdd..a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c:/lisp/org.el

--
~~~ fm4d ~~~

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-20 21:42                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-20 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fm4d; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:

> I believe that this diff is part of that commit -
> http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/blobdiff/1045e9e9c0e6438f5ee9dc4f0e5c720a8b670cdd..a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c:/lisp/org.el

The commit you point to is a branch merge. It is a kind of "meta commit"
that incorporates changes made in a set of previous commits. I think
your culprit happened earlier.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-20 21:52                     ` fm4d
From: fm4d @ 2016-04-20 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: fm4d, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Hello,
>
> fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:
>
>> I believe that this diff is part of that commit -
>> http://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git/blobdiff/1045e9e9c0e6438f5ee9dc4f0e5c720a8b670cdd..a311a856514e9245074b02c89d51a9f339784d1c:/lisp/org.el
>
> The commit you point to is a branch merge. It is a kind of "meta commit"
> that incorporates changes made in a set of previous commits. I think
> your culprit happened earlier.
>
> Regards,

Yes, well, I did not dig deeper into the 'maint' branch to find the
exact commit that caused it and since I managed to fix it and nobody
else is able to reproduce the issue I dont think I will.

* Re: BUG: Wrong indentation inside src block
@ 2016-04-20 22:02                       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fm4d; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

fm4d <m@fm4d.net> writes:

> Yes, well, I did not dig deeper into the 'maint' branch to find the
> exact commit that caused it and since I managed to fix it and nobody
> else is able to reproduce the issue I dont think I will.

I understand. OTOH, if you find the energy to dig deeper, it may help us
understanding what makes the issue visible in your situation only.

Regards,