emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Browser Interface to org-mode?
@ 2009-12-21  6:54 sumeet pareek
From: sumeet pareek @ 2009-12-21  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am not a 100% sure but I believe I heard some where in the google tech
talk about browser interface to org-mode. Could anybody tell me where can I
find it? It would be a boon to me as I am mostly on a windows box where
running org-mode is not the most simple thing to do.

I also work from multiple systems and would seriously benefit from any
org-mode interface/clone that works from the browser!?

--
Cheers
Sumeet Pareek

* Re: Browser Interface to org-mode?
@ 2009-12-21  7:24 ` Manish
       [not found]   ` <db52879e0912210223s353590ceqd6e382cfd7ba2331@mail.gmail.com>
From: Manish @ 2009-12-21  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: positivecharge; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM, sumeet pareek wrote:
> I am not a 100% sure but I believe I heard some where in the google tech
> talk about browser interface to org-mode. Could anybody tell me where can I
> find it? It would be a boon to me as I am mostly on a windows box where
> running org-mode is not the most simple thing to do.

I do not think there is any browser interface to Org mode.

Do you use Org on non-Windows system at present?  Do you use Emacs on
Windows at present?  Have you tried Org with Emacs on Windows?  What
difficulties did you face?

> I also work from multiple systems and would seriously benefit from any
> org-mode interface/clone that works from the browser!?

Most folks here use DVCS based syncing solutions.

--
Manish

@ 2009-12-21 11:43     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-12-21 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: positivecharge; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM, sumeet pareek wrote:
> @Manish: Thanks for the reply. Emacs caught my attention this weekend when I
> saw a Google tech talk about org-mode. And I decided to give it a try.
> 1. Was able to install it very easily on ubuntu (but I use windows at work)
> 2. Was initially clueless on how to get emacs to run on windows but am now
> running ver.GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) (It comes with org-mode
> built in :)
> 3. Spend the last hour playing around with org-mode. Loved it.

:) Welcome.

> ..And now I am hell bent to shift to emacs as my primary editor of choice.
> The first step of which would be to use it (org-mode) for my todos. Once I
> am pretty okay working with my TODOs I shall try other things like syncing
> it with google calendar et al.

You might find it to be a lot like the famous rabbit hole that goes
way deeper than you first thought..

You picked up Emacs pretty fast (I took months and still know only a
few things) but you still might find this useful.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/au-dw-au-emacs1-i.html?S_TACT=105AGX01&S_CMP=HP

And for Org mode: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php

Interestingly, with Org mode you first use it to figure out the way
you work and then you use it to achieve "mind like water".

--
Manish
PS: Remember to reply-all to send your response to the list as well.

* Re: Browser Interface to org-mode?
@ 2009-12-21 12:07       ` sumeet pareek
From: sumeet pareek @ 2009-12-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM, sumeet pareek wrote:
> > @Manish: Thanks for the reply. Emacs caught my attention this weekend
> when I
> > saw a Google tech talk about org-mode. And I decided to give it a try.
> > 1. Was able to install it very easily on ubuntu (but I use windows at
> work)
> > 2. Was initially clueless on how to get emacs to run on windows but am
> now
> > running ver.GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) (It comes with
> org-mode
> > built in :)
> > 3. Spend the last hour playing around with org-mode. Loved it.
> >

> :) Welcome.
>
> > ..And now I am hell bent to shift to emacs as my primary editor of
> choice.
> > The first step of which would be to use it (org-mode) for my todos. Once
> > am pretty okay working with my TODOs I shall try other things like
> syncing
> > it with google calendar et al.
>
> You might find it to be a lot like the famous rabbit hole that goes
> way deeper than you first thought..

Yea. I can already feel it :)

> You picked up Emacs pretty fast (I took months and still know only a
> few things) but you still might find this useful.
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/au-dw-au-emacs1-i.html?S_TACT=105AGX01&S_CMP=HP
>
> And for Org mode: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php

Thanks for the links. You must have got started with emacs way back. I have
the advantage of wealth of documentation that is there.. and I am kind of
familiar with what to expect. Had heard a lot about this editor. Always
wanted to try. But the comic http://xkcd.com/378/ and the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM provided the final push to
swtich.

> Interestingly, with Org mode you first use it to figure out the way
> you work and then you use it to achieve "mind like water".
>
> --
> Manish
> PS: Remember to reply-all to send your response to the list as well.

list address in the to field.

--

@ 2009-12-21 14:31 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-12-21 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: positivecharge; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

sumeet pareek <positivecharge@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not a 100% sure but I believe I heard some where in the google
> tech talk about browser interface to org-mode. Could anybody tell me
> where can I find it? It would be a boon to me as I am mostly on a
> windows box where running org-mode is not the most simple thing to do.
>
> I also work from multiple systems and would seriously benefit from any
> org-mode interface/clone that works from the browser!?

You might be thinking about Sebastian Rose's org-info.js javascript
which allows you to read XHTML pages exported from org in the browser,
either as Info pages or as foldable items (a la org-mode). It is very
neat, but it is *not* a browser interface to org-mode.  Manish is right:
there is no such thing.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Browser Interface to org-mode?
@ 2009-12-21 14:37   ` sumeet pareek
From: sumeet pareek @ 2009-12-21 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@Nick: You just read my mind! Will try reading XHTML exported from org-mode
using org-info.js

Now I dont know this, but is there a way to import XHTML files into org-mode
(retaining all the "org data" like TODO, tags, priority et al). If yes, I
think I would be interested in creating a browser based interface to
org-mode using GWT. Needs to be seen if I can actually start it.

Have already decided to do something using GWT this holiday season.

--

@ 2009-12-21 14:43     ` sumeet pareek
From: sumeet pareek @ 2009-12-21 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmm. Very Interesting.
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Javascript-support

--

@ 2009-12-21 14:51         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-12-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: positivecharge; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, sumeet pareek wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks for the links. You must have got started with emacs way back.

I tried Emacs 20.. did not last beyond a few hours, then tried Emacs
21.. did not last beyond a day or so.  I guess I was trying too hard
to remember the key chords (and I was coming from vi.)  Then Planner
distracted me while my fingers figured out a few basics on their own
Later I found wonderful Org mode and the community of amazing people
on this list.  It was easier after that.

> I have the advantage of wealth of documentation that is there..

I find http://www.emacswiki.org and http://planet.emacsen.org/
invaluable along with the gold mine within Emacs (C-h i).

--
Manish

@ 2009-12-21 23:38   ` D M German
From: D M German @ 2009-12-21 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 Manish  twisted the bytes to say:

 Manish> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM, sumeet pareek wrote:
 >> I am not a 100% sure but I believe I heard some where in the google tech
 >> talk about browser interface to org-mode. Could anybody tell me where can I
 >> find it? It would be a boon to me as I am mostly on a windows box where
 >> running org-mode is not the most simple thing to do.

 Manish> I do not think there is any browser interface to Org mode.

 Manish> Do you use Org on non-Windows system at present?  Do you use Emacs on
 Manish> Windows at present?  Have you tried Org with Emacs on Windows?  What
 Manish> difficulties did you face?

 >> I also work from multiple systems and would seriously benefit from any
 >> org-mode interface/clone that works from the browser!?

 Manish> Most folks here use DVCS based syncing solutions.

I use org-mobile to synchronize an iphone. this has the advantage of
uploading the files to a web site.

You can use it for a simple way to "read-only" browse your org files
from another computer (which I just had to do few minutes ago).

--dmg

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/