On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Manish wrote: > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM, sumeet pareek wrote: > > @Manish: Thanks for the reply. Emacs caught my attention this weekend > when I > > saw a Google tech talk about org-mode. And I decided to give it a try. > > 1. Was able to install it very easily on ubuntu (but I use windows at > work) > > 2. Was initially clueless on how to get emacs to run on windows but am > now > > running ver.GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) (It comes with > org-mode > > built in :) > > 3. Spend the last hour playing around with org-mode. Loved it. > > > > :) Welcome. > > > ..And now I am hell bent to shift to emacs as my primary editor of > choice. > > The first step of which would be to use it (org-mode) for my todos. Once > I > > am pretty okay working with my TODOs I shall try other things like > syncing > > it with google calendar et al. > > You might find it to be a lot like the famous rabbit hole that goes > way deeper than you first thought.. > Yea. I can already feel it :) > > You picked up Emacs pretty fast (I took months and still know only a > few things) but you still might find this useful. > > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/au-dw-au-emacs1-i.html?S_TACT=105AGX01&S_CMP=HP > > And for Org mode: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php > Thanks for the links. You must have got started with emacs way back. I have the advantage of wealth of documentation that is there.. and I am kind of familiar with what to expect. Had heard a lot about this editor. Always wanted to try. But the comic http://xkcd.com/378/ and the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM provided the final push to swtich. > > Interestingly, with Org mode you first use it to figure out the way > you work and then you use it to achieve "mind like water". > > -- > Manish > PS: Remember to reply-all to send your response to the list as well. > Ooops. Have almost always used google groups mailing list before. It has the list address in the to field. -- Cheers Sumeet Pareek