emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-review is on melpa
@ 2016-09-07  5:49 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-09-07  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

After using this for a couple of years, I’ve finally taken the time to
put it on Melpa. Org-review (https://melpa.org/#/org-review) is a set of
functions to maintain review dates for entries, so that you may generate
agenda view of things to review. I use it every Friday during my weekly
review to review projects and single tasks.

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2015-07: 401.31, 2016-07: 404.39

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-review is on melpa
@ 2016-09-07  6:25 ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-09-07  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This looks great! Thanks Alan.

On 2016-09-07 01:49, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After using this for a couple of years, I’ve finally taken the time to
> put it on Melpa. Org-review (https://melpa.org/#/org-review) is a set of
> functions to maintain review dates for entries, so that you may generate
> agenda view of things to review. I use it every Friday during my weekly
> review to review projects and single tasks.
>
> Best,
>
> Alan

* Re: org-review is on melpa
@ 2016-09-08 11:02 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-09-08 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hallo Alan,

* Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> After using this for a couple of years, I=E2=80=99ve finally taken the time=
> put it on Melpa. Org-review (https://melpa.org/#/org-review) is a set of
> functions to maintain review dates for entries, so that you may generate
> agenda view of things to review. I use it every Friday during my weekly
> review to review projects and single tasks.

I'm not familiar with org-review. I just read the description on the
page mentioned above.

I don't particularly want to discuss this here because I think
that I don't need org-review for now. However, I do think that you
should elaborate on the fact that org-review sounds very similar to
a simple recurring todo. What are the benefits compared to recurring
todos?

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: org-review is on melpa
@ 2016-09-09  6:50   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-09-09  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Hello Karl,

On 2016-09-08 13:02, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hallo Alan,
>
> * Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>>
>> After using this for a couple of years, I=E2=80=99ve finally taken the time=
>> put it on Melpa. Org-review (https://melpa.org/#/org-review) is a set of
>> functions to maintain review dates for entries, so that you may generate
>> agenda view of things to review. I use it every Friday during my weekly
>> review to review projects and single tasks.
>
> I'm not familiar with org-review. I just read the description on the
> page mentioned above.
>
> I don't particularly want to discuss this here because I think
> that I don't need org-review for now. However, I do think that you
> should elaborate on the fact that org-review sounds very similar to
> a simple recurring todo. What are the benefits compared to recurring
> todos?

One could indeed use recurring todos on tasks like “Review Project A”
and “Review Project B”, but it requires creating such additional tasks
for each project. Org-review lets you attach another timestamp,
different from the Scheduled or Deadline ones which define when the task
has to be done, to schedule reviews of the task or project within the
task or project.

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2015-08: 398.93, 2016-08: 402.25

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-review is on melpa
@ 2016-09-10 20:12     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-09-10 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
> --=-=-=

Btw, is there a reason that those two lines are not part of the
header?

With my slrn config, it seems to be the case that the two lines are
not taken into account so that your non-ASCII characters are not
rendered correctly:

> On 2016-09-08 13:02, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> Hallo Alan,
>>
>> I don't particularly want to discuss this here because I think
>> that I don't need org-review for now. However, I do think that you
>> should elaborate on the fact that org-review sounds very similar to
>> a simple recurring todo. What are the benefits compared to recurring
>> todos?
>
> One could indeed use recurring todos on tasks like =E2=80=9CReview Project =
> A=E2=80=9D
> and =E2=80=9CReview Project B=E2=80=9D, but it requires creating such addit=
> ional tasks
> for each project. Org-review lets you attach another timestamp,
> different from the Scheduled or Deadline ones which define when the task
> has to be done, to schedule reviews of the task or project within the
> task or project.

I see.

You might want to add this simple explanation at the top of your
README.org since it seems to summarize the main feature of your cool
tool for Org-mode savvy people.

Thanks!

--

@ 2016-09-12  7:15       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-09-12  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

On 2016-09-10 22:12, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>> --=-=-=
>
> Btw, is there a reason that those two lines are not part of the
> header?

I have no idea, I have no modified what message-mode and gnus do in that
regard.

> You might want to add this simple explanation at the top of your
> README.org since it seems to summarize the main feature of your cool
> tool for Org-mode savvy people.

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alan