emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Question about todo subheadings and logbook
@ 2015-09-04  6:29 Keith M Swartz
From: Keith M Swartz @ 2015-09-04  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm currently using org-mode 8.3.1, and I'm curious about a particular
behavior.

If I start to type an item, and then use the C-c C-t shortcut to mark it as
a TODO item, it automatically creates a drawer and adds a LOGBOOK entry to
it. Custom settings are as follows:

(setq org-log-into-drawer 'LOGBOOK
      org-log-state-notes-into-drawer 'LOGBOOK)

I often want to add a subheading (sub-task) to this todo item, so I'll hit
Alt-Enter to do this. When I do, it creates the subheading /between/ the
original todo and the drawer. Is that correct?

My preference - and what I would have assumed to be the correct behavior -
would be to have the subheadings appear /after/ the logbook drawer, as each
subtask can also have a todo state and its own logbook.

I figure there's probably a quick change I can make to
org-insert-todo-subheading or some other function, but wanted to see if: a)
this is how it's supposed to work, and b) if there was an easier way to
achieve what I want, maybe just some keyboard shortcut I'm missing.

Thanks,
Keith
--

Keith M Swartz
oneroadkms@gmail.com

* Re: Question about todo subheadings and logbook
@ 2015-09-04 18:52 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-04 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Keith M Swartz <oneroadkms@gmail.com> writes:

> I often want to add a subheading (sub-task) to this todo item, so I'll hit
> Alt-Enter to do this. When I do, it creates the subheading /between/ the
> original todo and the drawer. Is that correct?

It is.

> My preference - and what I would have assumed to be the correct behavior -
> would be to have the subheadings appear /after/ the logbook drawer, as each
> subtask can also have a todo state and its own logbook.

The logbook drawer can be anywhere in the entry. So creating headline
after the drawer is fuzzy. Also, it is to smart. What if I want to
create a new headline that would use this logbook?

Sometimes, the simpler is the better.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Question about todo subheadings and logbook
@ 2015-09-04 19:22   ` Keith M Swartz
From: Keith M Swartz @ 2015-09-04 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz, Emacs-orgmode

Thank you, Nicolas.

I think this behavior is wrong, then, or else I have some configuration
setting that's messing things up. Problem is, if you create sub-level
todos, and change their state, the updates all get muddled, and you can't
tell which one's state changed. It also creates multiple logbooks if you go
back and change the state of the main heading at some point. (I also can't
help but wonder if this is partly due to changes in org-mode 8.3 regarding
property drawer syntax.)

Here is an example to reproduce some questionable results:

0. Create a set of TODO labels, like so:
#+SEQ_TODO: TODO(!) PEND(!) DONE(!)

1. Create an item, make it a todo. (Creates a logbook.)

2. Create a subheading. (Alt-Enter, shift-right) Make it a todo. (This adds
a line to the logbook saying the state changed to TODO, even though the
previous line says the state already is TODO. You can't tell which state
changed.)

3. Cycle the state on your sub-todo to PEND. (Changes the state in the
logbook.)

ANOTHER logbook right underneath the heading showing the state change. The
original record for when it was marked TODO is in the other logbook, but
there are two such entries, and it's not obvious which one is which. You
could probably infer logically that the older entry is for the main
heading, but if states keep going back and forth, you'll lose track
quickly.)

This can't be a desired behavior for anyone -- you either want multiple
logbooks for each item and subitem, OR you want a single logbook the whole
time. And if someone wants the latter, I don't see how it can be at all
useful if you can't tell whether the main item's state was changed or one
of the sub-items.

I could debate whether this is a bug, but my emacs is nothing if not
versatile, so bug or not, I'm fairly confident there's a way to get the
behavior I DO want. To that end, I was hoping somebody could offer a
suggestion.

However, the more I dive into this, I think the easiest fix is to define
org-metareturn-hook to call org-cycle (to collapse the drawer) and
org-end-of-line (so it's positioned after where the drawer would be) BEFORE
invoking org-metareturn to add the subheading. Actually, I'd probably want
something more specific than org-cycle, since I don't want it to expand the
drawer or some other tree node.

Any thoughts on this approach as a solution to my issue?

Thanks,
Keith

--

@ 2015-09-04 19:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-04 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Keith M Swartz <oneroadkms@gmail.com> writes:

> Here is an example to reproduce some questionable results:
>
> 0. Create a set of TODO labels, like so:
> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO(!) PEND(!) DONE(!)
>
> 1. Create an item, make it a todo. (Creates a logbook.)

OK.

> 2. Create a subheading. (Alt-Enter, shift-right)

From where?

> Make it a todo. (This adds a line to the logbook saying the state
> changed to TODO, even though the previous line says the state already
> is TODO. You can't tell which state changed.)
>
> 3. Cycle the state on your sub-todo to PEND. (Changes the state in the
> logbook.)

> ANOTHER logbook right underneath the heading showing the state change. The
> original record for when it was marked TODO is in the other logbook, but
> there are two such entries, and it's not obvious which one is which. You
> could probably infer logically that the older entry is for the main
> heading, but if states keep going back and forth, you'll lose track
> quickly.)

I cannot reproduce this. It creates the following document:

  #+SEQ_TODO: TODO(!) PEND(!) DONE(!)

  * PEND test
    :LOGBOOK:
    - State "PEND"       from "TODO"       [2015-09-04 ven. 21:37]
    - State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 ven. 21:33]
    :END:

  ** PEND test2
     :LOGBOOK:
     - State "PEND"       from "TODO"       [2015-09-04 ven. 21:35]
     - State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 ven. 21:34]
     :END:

Regards,

* Re: Question about todo subheadings and logbook
@ 2015-09-04 20:26       ` Keith M Swartz
From: Keith M Swartz @ 2015-09-04 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz, Emacs-orgmode

I was creating the sub-heading from the exact same spot where I stopped
typing and hit C-c C-t. Didn't move the cursor, just went straight from one
step to the next.

After step

Here is what that set of steps created for me:

* PEND First item
:LOGBOOK:
- State "PEND"       from "TODO"       [2015-09-04 Fri 13:23]
:END:
*** PEND Second item
:LOGBOOK:
- State "PEND"       from "TODO"       [2015-09-04 Fri 13:23]
- State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:23]
- State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:22]
:END:

Step-by-step -- after step 1 [note: the logbook is collapsed initially, but
I expanded it here to show the contents. Expanding the logbook before
creating a sub-item may alter the results; I haven't tried that.]

* TODO First item
:LOGBOOK:
- State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:25]
:END:

after step 2:

* TODO First item
*** TODO Second item
:LOGBOOK:
- State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:26]
- State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:25]
:END:

Looks like our experiences already differ. (BTW, are you on the same org
version?)

after step 3:

* TODO First item
*** PEND Second item
:LOGBOOK:
- State "PEND"       from "TODO"       [2015-09-04 Fri 13:26]
- State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:26]
- State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:25]
:END:

And after step 4, it's as you saw above.

Keith

--

@ 2015-09-04 22:35         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-04 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Keith M Swartz <oneroadkms@gmail.com> writes:

> Step-by-step -- after step 1 [note: the logbook is collapsed initially, but
> I expanded it here to show the contents. Expanding the logbook before
> creating a sub-item may alter the results; I haven't tried that.]
>
> * TODO First item
> :LOGBOOK:
> - State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:25]
> :END:
>
> after step 2:
>
> * TODO First item
> *** TODO Second item
> :LOGBOOK:
> - State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:26]
> - State "TODO"       from              [2015-09-04 Fri 13:25]
> :END:

So you insert sub-heading between the first one and its logbook. Well,
this is to be expected. I don't see why Org should prevent you to do
that.

You may use, e.g., C-RET to insert new heading past contents of the
first one.

Regards,

* Re: Question about todo subheadings and logbook
@ 2015-09-04 22:51           ` Keith M Swartz
From: Keith M Swartz @ 2015-09-04 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz, Emacs-orgmode

I think there's some misunderstanding here regarding my initial question.

I do NOT want the subheading to go between the first one and the logbook.
When I hit Ctrl-Enter at the end of the line, that's where it goes. I
didn't choose to do that, and I would like it not to. To get what I want
now, I have to collapse the drawer and go to the end of the line (past the
"..." denoting the drawer) before adding a subheading. That's unnecessary
work that I shouldn't have to do.

I want the behavior to be such that after I type in the todo text, hit C-c
C-t (to label it as a todo), and hit ctrl-enter -- right there, without
moving the cursor again -- it should create a subheading BELOW the drawer.

When you created your test case, where did you position the cursor before
creating a subheading? Did you move the cursor between C-c C-t and
Ctrl-Enter? If so, I think that shouldn't be necessary, but right or wrong,
I'm trying to modify the behavior so I don't have to do that. If you didn't
move the cursor, then can you suggest why my org-mode is behaving that way?
I tried with a vanilla install (no custom settings at all) and got the same
thing.

Keith

--

@ 2015-09-05  8:39             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-05  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Keith M Swartz <oneroadkms@gmail.com> writes:

> I think there's some misunderstanding here regarding my initial question.
>
> I do NOT want the subheading to go between the first one and the logbook.
> When I hit Ctrl-Enter at the end of the line, that's where it goes.

Aren't you confusing M-RET and C-RET?

At end of line, M-RET inserts the second headline right before the first
one, i.e., between the first headline and its logbook drawer. OTOH,
C-RET inserts the new headline past the whole subtree starting at the
first headline, i.e., after the logbook.

Regards,

* Re: Question about todo subheadings and logbook
@ 2015-09-05 18:26               ` Keith M Swartz
From: Keith M Swartz @ 2015-09-05 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith M Swartz, Emacs-orgmode