emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* popup buffer showing buffers headings?
@ 2017-05-25  9:54 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-05-25  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Is it possible to have a buffer showing the headers of a file in a
buffer in a popup window to the left of the main window in org-mode
please?

We already have 'neotree' but that just shows the files in a directory.
What I'm looking for is something like 'Imenu' but in a popup buffer,
which is activated in something like 'M-F8' and displays, and then when
'M-F8' is used again it closes the popup. From the popup you can move
about the headings in your file with ease just using the keyboard, and
without having to use a mouse.

Ideally, this could be used for any buffer that is being used, whether
its latex, mediawiki, or whatever, although possibly not for gnus.

So can it be done please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1, org-mode 9.0.7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: popup buffer showing buffers headings?
@ 2017-05-25 10:15 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-05-25 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Is it possible to have a buffer showing the headers of a file in a
> buffer in a popup window to the left of the main window in org-mode
> please?

Maybe `org-goto' (C-c C-j) is what is you are looking for.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: popup buffer showing buffers headings?
@ 2017-05-25 11:15 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-05-25 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble, org-mode-email

On Thu, May 25, 2017, 5:55 AM Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
wrote:

> Is it possible to have a buffer showing the headers of a file in a
> buffer in a popup window to the left of the main window in org-mode
> please?

Yes, there is a package that does that. Check out imenu-list.

We already have 'neotree' but that just shows the files in a directory.
> What I'm looking for is something like 'Imenu' but in a popup buffer,

Yup, exactly that.

which is activated in something like 'M-F8' and displays, and then when
> 'M-F8' is used again it closes the popup.

M-x imenu-list does that by default. You can bind a key of your choice to
that.

Ideally, this could be used for any buffer that is being used, whether
> its latex, mediawiki, or whatever, although possibly not for gnus.

Yes, this package is generic, for imenu.

That said, for the purpose of jumping to headings, I like the newly added
counsel-org-goto command added to the counsel package.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: popup buffer showing buffers headings?
       [not found] <e2276cbc20144169a6afbc37ffe6f8c7@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-05-25 15:36 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-05-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode