emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-06 21:07 Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-06-06 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm trying to package org-mode for debian, but it is unfortunately being
rejected: its manual is licensed under the GFDL, *with Front-Cover
texts*, which cannot make into Debian[1]. Is there any way that the
documentation could be dual-licensed under the GPL too ?

Cheers,

--Seb

1: http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001

* Re: GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-06 21:19 ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-06-06 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-06-06, Seb <seb@untangle.com> wrote:
> Is there any way that the documentation could be dual-licensed under
> the GPL too ?

or that the "Front-Cover provision" be removed altogether :)

Cheers,

--Seb

* Re: GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-08 16:31   ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-06-08 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-06-06, Seb <seb@untangle.com> wrote:
> On 2008-06-06, Seb <seb@untangle.com> wrote:
>> Is there any way that the documentation could be dual-licensed under
>> the GPL too ?
>
> or that the "Front-Cover provision" be removed altogether :)

while awaiting an answer on this, I think I will package org-mode
without its documentation, and take it from there...

Cheers,

--Seb

* Re: Re: GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-09  2:00     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-06-09  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Seb,

just a question:

When I follow the link you mentioned in your first mail I read this:

----8<-------
It should be noted that this does not imply any hostility towards the
Free Software Foundation, and does not mean that GFDL documentation
should not be considered free enough by others, and Debian itself will
continue distributing GFDL documentation in its non-free section.
---->8-------

Debain users are used to look for documentation non-free section (gcc,
bash, bison, auto-tools, glibc, php, gdb, emacs-lisp ...). Is it a
problem to simply put the docs there?

Regards,

[-- Attachment #2: sebastian_rose.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Sebastian Rose
n:Rose;Sebastian
email;internet:sebastian_rose@gmx.de
title:Fachinformatiker/Anwendendungsentwicklung
tel;cell:+49 173 / 83 93 417
note;quoted-printable:Entwicklung  von Internetanwendungen und Programmen  mit  freien  Werkzeu=
	gen  und Bibliotheken.=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	PHP, Java, C/C++,  Bash,  Perl,  Apache, MySQL,  PostgreSQL, xt::commerce=
	, Typo3, Server,  Netzwerk,  Desktop, Datenbank, gtkmm=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* RE: Re: GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-10  6:32     ` Dominik, C.
From: Dominik, C. @ 2008-06-10  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seb, emacs-orgmode

>> Is there any way that the documentation could be dual-licensed under
>> the GPL too ?

I would be happy to dual-license the manual.  Does anyone know
what piece of text I would have to put there?  Does anyone know
if the GFDL prohbits me, the author, to add GPL as a second free
license?  I sure hope not.

> or that the "Front-Cover provision" be removed altogether :)

To be honest, I have absolutely no clue what it means, and it was not my intention to restrict use of the manual in any way when I put it under the GFDL.  Back then I must have thought that this simply it the proper thing to use for documentation.

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-11 16:43       ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-06-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-06-09, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> just a question:
>
> When I follow the link you mentioned in your first mail I read this:
>
> ----8<-------
> It should be noted that this does not imply any hostility towards the
> Free Software Foundation, and does not mean that GFDL documentation
> should not be considered free enough by others, and Debian itself will
> continue distributing GFDL documentation in its non-free section.
> ---->8-------
>
> Debain users are used to look for documentation non-free section (gcc,
> bash, bison, auto-tools, glibc, php, gdb, emacs-lisp ...). Is it a
> problem to simply put the docs there?

it means maintaining two source packages, which is far from optimal
for something that moves as fast as org-mode. It could definitely be
done, but I am not exactly thrilled by the idea :)

Cheers,

--Seb

* Re: GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-11 18:17       ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-06-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-06-10, Dominik, C. <C.Dominik@uva.nl> wrote:
> I would be happy to dual-license the manual.  Does anyone know what
> piece of text I would have to put there?  Does anyone know if the
> GFDL prohbits me, the author, to add GPL as a second free license?
> I sure hope not.
> [...]
> To be honest, I have absolutely no clue what it means, and it was
> not my intention to restrict use of the manual in any way when I put
> it under the GFDL.  Back then I must have thought that this simply
> it the proper thing to use for documentation.

The GFDL itself is fine, it's the use of Invariant Sections, Cover
Texts, etc that make it not-free as far as Debian is concerned.

But anyway, if you're the sole author, you can definitely move to a
GPL+GFDL dual-license when you so please, but I guess I still need to
add that IANAL...

Cheers,

--Seb

* Re: Re: GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-12  5:51         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-12  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sebastian,

On Jun 11, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Seb wrote:

> On 2008-06-10, Dominik, C. <C.Dominik@uva.nl> wrote:
>> I would be happy to dual-license the manual.  Does anyone know what
>> piece of text I would have to put there?  Does anyone know if the
>> GFDL prohbits me, the author, to add GPL as a second free license?
>> I sure hope not.
>> [...]
>> To be honest, I have absolutely no clue what it means, and it was
>> not my intention to restrict use of the manual in any way when I put
>> it under the GFDL.  Back then I must have thought that this simply
>> it the proper thing to use for documentation.
>
> The GFDL itself is fine, it's the use of Invariant Sections, Cover
> Texts, etc that make it not-free as far as Debian is concerned.
>
> But anyway, if you're the sole author, you can definitely move to a
> GPL+GFDL dual-license when you so please, but I guess I still need to
> add that IANAL...

I don't know what this last sentence means.

ALso, can you point me to an example of the text that I would have to
insert to make you and Debian happy?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: GFDL with cover texts
@ 2008-06-12 15:07           ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-06-12 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-06-12, Carsten Dominik <C.Dominik@uva.nl> wrote:
>> But anyway, if you're the sole author, you can definitely move to a
>> GPL+GFDL dual-license when you so please, but I guess I still need
>> to add that IANAL...
>
> I don't know what this last sentence means.

the "I Am Not A Lawyer" part ? Simply that my however strong my
opinion is, it does not constitute legal advice :)

> ALso, can you point me to an example of the text that I would have
> to insert to make you and Debian happy?

Adding something like "Alternatively, this program is licensed under
the terms of the General Public License [...<quote/point to the
GPL>...]", after the existing license, will do the trick.

Cheers,

--Seb